Forums > General Industry > Top indicators that a "model" is just a scammer?

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

When receiving a friend request on Facebook or a new follower on Instagram, what are the key things you look for on their profile to determine whether or not it's a legitimate profile?

Me: I look for dog and cat photos.

Sep 03 23 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I get a lot of cute, young Asian girls, often with their face not displayed in the photos.
The photos are usually shot in sunny tropical locations, most likely the places in Asia they live near.
Their profiles will say they're located in Las Vegas.
Their first name is usually a hispanic male name... Hector, Fernando, Ricardo.
(I guess those scammers don't  know the difference between a female and male name.)

Sep 03 23 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Instagram: zero or low number of posts but following hundreds of people

Sep 04 23 02:32 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:
Instagram: zero or low number of posts but following hundreds of people

Also IG:  names with numbers behind them...
Anyone with zero posts gets declined and blocked automatically.
Mine has a number, corresponding with my zip code, but I don't actively seek to expand my network.

Sep 04 23 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

GSmithPhoto wrote:
Also IG: 
Anyone with zero posts gets declined and blocked automatically.

might want to update that assumption since that will exclude legitimate users too for the last several years

much of Gen Z is only using the stories and the highlight reel these days, especially attractive women. its very common for people to have archived all of their photos, or started an account without any and don't plan to. should a model or someone seeking work leave something up? sure that would be more optimal for them but you can also consider being more flexible, or finding a different way to screen out people

Sep 04 23 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Arizona Shoots wrote:
When receiving a friend request on Facebook or a new follower on Instagram, what are the key things you look for on their profile to determine whether or not it's a legitimate profile?

On Facebook, first thing I do is look to see how many "friends" we share. Dog & cat pictures don't bother me.  Instead I check out their postings.  I'm usually the one sending a "friend" request, so I am suspicious of any one sending me one.  If it seems like there are a lot of ads for web products, it's a hard "no" from me. 

As for Instagram and "X" or whatever the nutcase owner calls his formally Twitter. I don't care anymore who follows me, I don't follow back unless they have a large number of followers themselves.  No way am I going to return a follow to the ones I see are scammers.  Some are fake accounts of real people, if I see that I report it.

Sep 04 23 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Arizona Shoots wrote:

One of the first clues for me if they have a number of images but no credited images or don't identify the photographer.

Sep 11 23 10:02 am Link