Forums > General Industry > The easiest way to land a gig....

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Although this example isn't directly related to photography, it's something that I find many models and photographers do (and then they wonder why they didn't get the job).

I landed this gig without really trying!

Yesterday I was browsing through the local Craigslist gig ads and found one where a guy wanted someone to assemble a computer with the components that he was going to purchase.  The person simply asked for a response that included a labor estimate and the basic contact informaiton (name, phone number, email).

I contacted the gentleman, but had no intention of building the computer for him.  I knew of a great computer that would met and exceeded his needs and wrote to himrecommend it, even though I've built many computers before, it would be easier and slightly cheaper to purchase this particular brand new computer.

By default my name and contact information is provided at the bottom of each message.

Later that day he contacted me and said "I've got a lot of responses. So far there's 60 replies and even more are coming in as I'm speaking to you.  Your reply was somewhere in the middle, around #30."

He continued to say "You've got the gig by default, as YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE THAT LEFT THE CONTACT INFORMATION THAT I REQUESTED!"

It's as simple as that!

I don't know how many times I see public replies to casting calls that simply say "Interested" (MM used to allow public replies to casting calls, and many social media sites still do).

Although I no longer have a need to find models, once in awhile I'm working with a client that needs someone with a certain look and I'll either contact people that would be a good fit, or put out a small casting call.  I can't tell you how many times people sent me nothing but the "interested" reply.... and that's the more positive response because most of the 'newer' models on MM are either too lazy or too into themselves to reply, even if it's to politely turn down an offer.

I'm sure that in each and every one of those cases the people can't figure out why nobody's running after them to give them a gig.

Nov 27 23 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

the most important things you can do is follow directions and show up

Nov 27 23 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Sadly most people dont think or read what is required

Nov 28 23 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Anybody remember the MM casting call for a horror movie?  It mentioned actors should be willing to get a STD and have bones broken.  I sell laptops on Facebooks and I try to include all the information about them.  Ram size to SSD size to year of the laptop, processor and where buyers can meet meet me.  Sadly, many if not most people ask me questions answered in the ad.  People don't read, pay attention or use critical thinking.

Nov 28 23 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Anybody remember the MM casting call for a horror movie....

The answers were hilarious!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
I am currently seeking male and female models ages 18-36 all ethnic backgrounds, for an upcoming independent horror film project.

The theme of this shoot is horror. Think 80's B movie. You will be compensated for your time up to $100 hour depending on your experience. Travel expenses paid. You will receive an 8x10 color print as a small bonus and thank you for your time.

NO nudity. Possible implied, but certainly not required. This will take place in Orlando, Florida in the month of September. Dates are not set yet. Please feel free to leave a tag here showing your interest. I will look over each portfolio and notify those whose look I feel will best fit the look we are trying to achieve.

The producer is going for a believable look, therefore all props will be authentic- this includes all blades, guns, bows and arrows, and quicksand. In order to capture reactions as real as possible, injuries may be sustained in which case we would continue filming to get your genuine reaction. These injuries may include the following: road rash, dismemberment, broken nails, cuts, bruises, loss of hair, West Nile, gonorrea, weight loss or gain, or teeth removal. Please make note of that before you respond to this casting. Thanks for your time and interest.

Post here if interested. Messages in my inbox will be ignored.

Nov 28 23 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
I'm sure that in each and every one of those cases the people can't figure out why nobody's running after them to give them a gig.

I've heard this story a thousand times. I landed a rather lucrative gig off craigslist last year and the client told me we were one of a bout 80 people who responded, of which only about 5 actually responded appropriately to the RFP. After we completed the job I was joking with my contact in the company about this and she actually sent me a few of the replies they got and it was astounding how poorly written they were.

As someone who's been in this business for almost 3 decades now I still hold the belief that to have any successful business, especially photography, you have to learn how to market and sell your services first and foremost.

I remember talking to an executive at LowePro a few years back at WPPI and even he said that they estimate that over 90% of their customers who buy things from them, who claim to be a "professional photographer" will be selling off al their gear within 3-5 years. It all starts with just listening and communicating effectively with your potential customer.

Remember: How you do anything is how you do everything.

Dec 06 23 08:54 am Link