Forums > General Industry > Critiquing a model?

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

Purcellville, Virginia, US

As an amateur photographer, I've only recently started working with models.

I know that as a photographer, I may look at an image in a different way than a model might.  For example, when I'm looking at a photo I find myself thinking about a variety of things.

There's the obvious (focus / exposure / framing) as well as the lighting (too hot here, too dark here, etc).  Then there's the composition (model too close to background / depth of field not appropriate to the image / etc).

All of these things, for the most part, are critiques on the photography.

So, how does one critique the model from the photos?  Obviously if you've worked with a model you can make some sort of qualitative judgement of the model's skills, ie "I got a lot of keepers from that shoot" or "I didn't have to fine tune her posing at all, she hit exactly what I wanted the first time" or whatever.

But if you're just looking at a photo, what do you look for?  Do you need to look at multiple photos to make a critical judgement, such as "she gives the same expression in all shots", or what?

Sep 02 05 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Positive reinforcement - once the shutter button is released you can't get that photo back.  Let it go and say "Very nice, now let's try something a bit different from the last pose/ expression/ etc".

It has been my experience that most non-pro models welcome the thoughtful, positive direction from the photographer.

If you shoot digital, then set up a computer nearby, download and show them the photos after a series.  Point out what you'd like to try different and I find that helps as well.

Sep 02 05 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

No no. . .I am not talking about critiquing a model during a shoot, I'm talking about reviewing photos in general.

I am saying that when I am critiquing a photo, most of my thoughts are oriented towards things the photographer did well, or things the photographer could have done better.

I would like to broaden my view to be able to see a photo from a model's point of view, so to speak.

Sep 02 05 05:54 am Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

Bless you for starting this topic! This is one of the reasons I'm adamant about seeing every shot from a shoot before I pick which ones I want on CD or printed. When there's pre-selection to my proof viewing, most of the photogs have chosen things that had great lighting, background, interesting pose, etc. But, as a model, I look for the pose showing off my body well (whether it was an unusual pose or not), my facial expression being perfect in it (i.e. my face isn't pointed too far down and there are no "double chins" due to positioning), it showcases my bone structure, and I make sure nothing's showing that shouldn't be (because in some poses the clothes fall and accidentally reveal something they shouldn't). I don't care as much about the lighting because that's so easy to fix in Photoshop or Fireworks. The background can also be fixed pretty easily. (Clone is a godsend.) But, if I have a horrible facial expression or it does nothing for my body, I don't want the photog using it, and I certainly can't. What goes into a model's portfolio has to show him or her perfectly, so if you're shooting for someone's port, the model is the most important element, imho. Everything else is pretty easily fixed afterward.

Sep 02 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Dutch Elm

Littleton, Massachusetts, US

Christine 16,

I guess that I'd disagree.  I'm a photographer old enough (oops) to have used film for years.  I had a photographer friend who'd say, if it's not in the negative, then you don't have it.

While I know that we can do lots of things digitally today and I shoot digital, I still want to think that it's not either/or--technique or content.  From the start, it's got to be both.

When I shoot digital now I try to sit with the model so that we can both look at the shoot at the end.  It's a great way to interact about what happened--and it gives the model a chance to express her opinions about the images.

Vaughn

Sep 02 05 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Lone Shepherd wrote:
No no. . .I am not talking about critiquing a model during a shoot, I'm talking about reviewing photos in general.

I am saying that when I am critiquing a photo, most of my thoughts are oriented towards things the photographer did well, or things the photographer could have done better.

I would like to broaden my view to be able to see a photo from a model's point of view, so to speak.

Okay, I see now.  I agree that it often how it is done, the photographer's viewpoint being the main consideration.  I have to give props to Christine 16 for bringing up the model's point of view and nicely stating it as well. 

I look at more than the lighting and set up and composition.  I also look at the model and those accidental double chins, waist creases, awkward elbows or hand or knees.  And yes, at odd or even goofy expression.  This tends to happen more in the flow or fluid type of posing that many photographers and models like to do (as in an Austin Powers "Yeah baby, give it to me", everyone moving in different directions type shooting.  Hey, you can get some great shots out of that but the majority will look strange.)

Also many poses that the model feels look sexy are really odd when captured in the moment (like her head-back-with-chin-up--and-the-lens-staring-deep-into-her-nostrils look!  In a bar or on the street, that "pose" lasting for a flicker of a moment is just fine and is powerful body languange.  But when captured in a still photo, it is a nostril examination every time!)

Ultimately, if the model doesn't look good, since she is the centerpiece of the project, then the rest of glamour photography is self delusion.  What actually constitutes "looking good" is SOOO open to debate.

(High Fashion photography seems to go for something different - often it seems that odd and awkward are the watch words of that day's shoot.  Probably a topic for an entirely different thread.)

Sep 02 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Lone Shepherd

I look for the pose showing off my body well (whether it was an unusual pose or not), my facial expression being perfect in it (i.e. my face isn't pointed too far down and there are no "double chins" due to positioning), it showcases my bone structure, and I make sure nothing's showing that shouldn't be

I also look at the model and those accidental double chins, waist creases, awkward elbows or hand or knees. And yes, at odd or even goofy expression.

Yes, when I look at a photo I'm also looking at the model, ie, is the facial expression good, does the pose look natural, if the belly is visible is there any creasing, etc.

I'm just trying to look at the model more objectively and critically in photos, rather than just saying "yeah he/she looks good" or whatever.

I don't care as much about the lighting because that's so easy to fix in Photoshop or Fireworks. The background can also be fixed pretty easily.

I will agree that depending on the background, some of it can be fixed in Photoshop (some things easier than others).  Bad lighting, however, is another story.  Yes, all images can be touched up to a degree, but if the lighting doesn't fit the mood of the shot when you press the button, hours of Photoshop work isn't going to fix it, although you may be able to come up with *something* usable.  As with any photo editing, it's much easier to get the shot as right as possible before you take the photo than after.

Sep 02 05 12:41 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Lone Shepherd wrote:

So, how does one critique the model from the photos?  Obviously if you've worked with a model you can make some sort of qualitative judgement of the model's skills, ie "I got a lot of keepers from that shoot" or "I didn't have to fine tune her posing at all, she hit exactly what I wanted the first time" or whatever.

But if you're just looking at a photo, what do you look for?  Do you need to look at multiple photos to make a critical judgement, such as "she gives the same expression in all shots", or what?

Thank you for posting this.

Is a model only as good as the photographer?

I don't mean this in a bad way. I'm just always surprised when someone says, you're so much prettier in person than your photos, or I never thought you could pose like this, show this emotion, look edgy rather than girl-next-door, etc.

As far as the same expression in all shots or a pose, again, it's the photographer that pushes the button and decides to capture that expression/pose or not, and often the model doesn't receive all the images, so there may be 400 photos from the shoot, but the 10 pictures she receive are all the same expression/pose. It's a little frustrating at times!

This is another reason I like to meet in person prior to the shoot, meet the real me. I'm more than a 2D frame

Sep 03 05 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sara, you hit the nail on the head.  The model will always be judged based on how well the photographer did his job.  I am probably in the minority in that I will take this into consideration when I am looking at a model's pictures.  If I'm looking to hire you, I am just evaluating what you look like, not how good the picture is.  I do look for signs of expressiveness in the face, and even in pretty candid pictures I can get a sense wether or not you have IT.  I know the results I will get working with a model, and the way I work it doesn't matter wether you already have plenty of experience working with great photographers, or you are doing your first shoot.  All I care about is how you look.  I'll hold up my end of the process from a photographic standpoint, but I know ultimately my work will be judged based on how good the model looks.

Sep 05 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jim Goodwin wrote:
Sara, you hit the nail on the head.  The model will always be judged based on how well the photographer did his job.  I am probably in the minority in that I will take this into consideration when I am looking at a model's pictures.  If I'm looking to hire you, I am just evaluating what you look like, not how good the picture is.  I do look for signs of expressiveness in the face, and even in pretty candid pictures I can get a sense wether or not you have IT.  I know the results I will get working with a model, and the way I work it doesn't matter wether you already have plenty of experience working with great photographers, or you are doing your first shoot.  All I care about is how you look.  I'll hold up my end of the process from a photographic standpoint, but I know ultimately my work will be judged based on how good the model looks.

A good photographer should be able to make anyone look beautiful....or at least interesting.

Sep 05 05 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

envisage photography wrote:

A good photographer should be able to make anyone look beautiful....or at least interesting.

Exactly!

Sep 05 05 11:40 am Link

Model

Kaitlyn M

Burbank, California, US

Jim Goodwin wrote:

Exactly!

I believe this is true.

A great stylist + make up artist + photographer +  model who knows how to work the lens = a piece of art

A great photo is a collaborative effort.

Sep 05 05 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Look at the model's pose and see what could make the image better... is her hand a little too far out and she looks uncomfortable? Are her fingers in a strange position? Are her legs posed for the most graceful look possible? Do these little things add up to a story that the model/photographer might have been trying to tell or are they just missed details during the shoot?
I guess bassicaly it's the "what would I do to make this a better shot if I was to do it" line of thinking...

Lone Shepherd wrote:
As an amateur photographer, I've only recently started working with models.

I know that as a photographer, I may look at an image in a different way than a model might.  For example, when I'm looking at a photo I find myself thinking about a variety of things.

There's the obvious (focus / exposure / framing) as well as the lighting (too hot here, too dark here, etc).  Then there's the composition (model too close to background / depth of field not appropriate to the image / etc).

Sep 05 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

The photographer has absolut control over how the subject ( model ) will look!!!
A good model can make things much easier for us though .. which might translate
into better pictures ...

Sep 05 05 06:37 pm Link