login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Nekkid chicks in tall grass.. Search   Reply
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.
Aug 06 10 08:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susie B
Posts: 4,260
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


Tog  wrote:
How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.

$$ and the photographers don't tell the model the location beforehand wink

Aug 06 10 08:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bubble77
Posts: 10,706
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada


Susie B wrote:

$$ and the photographers don't tell the model the location beforehand wink

*furiously jots down*

Aug 06 10 08:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Zaychik
Posts: 7,787
San Francisco, California, US


I did it once. Know what the photographer did?


Nothing.

He probably knew that being artsy ditzy me, I went, "OH COOL OUTDOORS AWESOME" without considering any other extraneous environmental factors.
Aug 06 10 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Sarinka wrote:
I did it once. Know what the photographer did?


Nothing.

He probably knew that being artsy ditzy me, I went, "OH COOL OUTDOORS AWESOME" without considering any other extraneous environmental factors.

Maybe it's empathy that ruins art for me. 

Uncomfortable trumps pretty every time.

Aug 06 10 08:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susie B
Posts: 4,260
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


Tog  wrote:

Maybe it's empathy that ruins art for me. 

Uncomfortable trumps pretty every time.

Exactly, especially when it comes to Nov-March outdoor nudes in snow. WTF. NONONONONONONONO. Where do people get the idea that it's fun and pretty?

Aug 06 10 08:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Susie B wrote:

Exactly, especially when it comes to Nov-March outdoor nudes in snow. WTF. NONONONONONONONO. Where do people get the idea that it's fun and pretty?

I felt bad for depriving a model of AC for an hour.  That's about as far as I can push it.

Aug 06 10 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Susie B
Posts: 4,260
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


Tog  wrote:

I felt bad for depriving a model of AC for an hour.  That's about as far as I can push it.

In Alabama? That is cruel and unusual punishment, isn't it???

lol lol

Aug 06 10 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Susie B wrote:

In Alabama? That is cruel and unusual punishment, isn't it???

lol lol

I like to think so.

Aug 06 10 08:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stephen Dawson
Posts: 29,246
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Tog  wrote:
How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.

My photos of a model in the grass were criticized because of the grass.

Fuck the critics.

Aug 06 10 08:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DougBPhoto
Posts: 38,048
Portland, Oregon, US


Tog  wrote:
How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.

Are you allergic to grass?  wink


Susie B wrote:
Exactly, especially when it comes to Nov-March outdoor nudes in snow. WTF. NONONONONONONONO. Where do people get the idea that it's fun and pretty?

Damn back to the drawing board tongue

(Although I was thinking of using May to Sept snow)

Aug 06 10 08:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MWNudes
Posts: 7,231
Kansas City, Missouri, US


It's actually really easy.

1. Tell the model to wear clothes to hike in, like long pants and tennis shoes.

2. Get to the middle of the field, and then model disrobes, keeping shoes on. No one is going to see them, right, so there's no need to stand in mud, or risk stepping on rocks or thorns.

3. Shoot from an angle that makes the grass look more thick than it actually is.

4. Get the shot and leave before the model gets eaten up. I will NEVER understand photographers taking hours to shoot. Never. There is NO need for your models to stand around in the elements and exposure for that ridiculous amount of time.

Ta-da!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17980313

Simple, really.
Aug 06 10 08:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Stephen Dawson wrote:

My photos of a model in the grass were criticized because of the grass.

Fuck the critics.

I will not have sex with you.

Aug 06 10 08:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


MWNudes wrote:
It's actually really easy.

1. Tell the model to wear clothes to hike in, like long pants and tennis shoes.

2. Get to the middle of the field, and then model disrobes, keeping shoes on. No one is going to see them, right, so there's no need to stand in mud, or risk stepping on rocks or thorns.

3. Shoot from an angle that makes the grass look more thick than it actually is.

4. Get the shot and leave before the model gets eaten up. I will NEVER understand photographers taking hours to shoot. Never. There is NO need for your models to stand around in the elements and exposure for that ridiculous amount of time.

Ta-da!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/17980313

Simple, really.

That shot started this thread. tongue

Have I mentioned I like your work, lately?

Aug 06 10 08:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MWNudes
Posts: 7,231
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Tog  wrote:

That shot started this thread. tongue

Have I mentioned I like your work, lately?

*chortle*

No, actually, you haven't. big_smile

Aug 06 10 08:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


MWNudes wrote:

*chortle*

No, actually, you haven't. big_smile

I like your work, lately.

Aug 06 10 09:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MWNudes
Posts: 7,231
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Tog  wrote:

I like your work, lately.

Well, thanks. big_smile

Aug 06 10 09:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jim Ball
Posts: 17,152
Frontenac, Kansas, US


Tog  wrote:
How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.

Hives, hell....chiggers more likely - and it'll be the model getting them.

Oh, she's got chiggers on her wigger...

Aug 06 10 09:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


That's something I'd probably willingly walk into.

I have a strange lack of consideration for my safety and well-being when I model.

However,  I will not walk across a floor strewn with bird poo barefoot.
Aug 06 10 09:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Erin Holmes
Posts: 6,522
Albuquerque, New Mexico, US


I'd love to do a shoot like that, but I'd dope myself up on plenty of benadryl beforehand and bring hydrocortisone cream.
Aug 06 10 09:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Imagebuffet
Posts: 15,842
Richardson, Texas, US


I had to shoot this shot quickly, as the model (Barbados Pearl) was slowly sinking into the mud:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2357/241 … fcab52.jpg 18+

It turns out that Pearl likes frogs. Not every girl does.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2157/241 … 5331d2.jpg 18+

At least she is on solid ground!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2240/245 … 08587d.jpg 18+
Aug 06 10 11:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Imagebuffet
Posts: 15,842
Richardson, Texas, US


MWNudes wrote:
It's actually really easy.

1. Tell the model to wear clothes to hike in, like long pants and tennis shoes.

What?! The whole point is to get the model *out* of her clothes!

Some of us make the model slog *miles* through weeds and brush while naked.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/279 … fd2245.jpg 18+

MWNudes wrote:
I will NEVER understand photographers taking hours to shoot. Never.

Naked, pretty girl. Male photographer. What's not to understand?

Seriously, photography is more than just snapshots. It takes time to bring out the creative interpretation that a good shot requires. It might take hours just for the corduroy marks from the models clothes to come out (and, yes, artists generally *do* have the model hang around naked until those marks are gone before they begin work). After the model begins working, she needs to become part of the environment, and begin interpreting her work. She and the photographer need to establish a rapport.

Aug 06 10 11:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MWNudes
Posts: 7,231
Kansas City, Missouri, US


Naked, pretty girl. Male photographer. What's not to understand?

Seriously, photography is more than just snapshots. It takes time to bring out the creative interpretation that a good shot requires. It might take hours just for the corduroy marks from the models clothes to come out (and, yes, artists generally *do* have the model hang around naked until those marks are gone before they begin work). After the model begins working, she needs to become part of the environment, and begin interpreting her work. She and the photographer need to establish a rapport.

I don't agree. I really hope you don't believe that fast shooting = snapshots.

A good model is able to comprehend what you're telling them is the theme/style/point of the shoot (of course, it's good that the photographer know that beforehand, too), and immediately get to work. It doesn't take any rapport at all to make incredible photos. It helps, and I enjoy all of the past people that I've worked with still remaining friends with me after the shoot, but I don't think it's required.

And a model should know better than to wear something that's going to make both of you wait for marks to leave. In ANY setting, not just outdoors. And I never knew that they had to remain naked. I've always used a light robe or dress that wasn't too tight or dense, especially in between location and lighting changes. As I've modeled, all of the artists that I've worked with allowed that courtesy, for both painting and photography.

I'm a bisexual female who loves to look at women's bodies, just as much as the next guy, but definitely not at the expense of someone that I'm working with, and HOPE to develop a rapport with, especially to work with them a second time.

Aug 07 10 07:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sexxxy Michelle
Posts: 274
Los Angeles, California, US


I love the outdoors and I guess I will try anything once so not so hard.
Aug 07 10 08:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Sexxxy Michelle  wrote:
I love the outdoors and I guess I will try anything once so not so hard.

If I were going to try to talk you into "anything once" it wouldn't be nudity in the grass.  tongue

Aug 07 10 08:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Elaine Smithee
Posts: 1,613
New York, New York, US


Tog  wrote:
How the hell do photographers talk models into this?

I get hives just looking at these pictures.

Doesn't always work!
When he said "Remove the dress...and finish like a boss!", I refused and beat him up.

True story.

Aug 07 10 08:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Renaissance Wife wrote:

Doesn't always work!
When he said "Remove the dress...and finish like a boss!", I refused and beat him up.

True story.

Translate "Finish like a boss?"  (I like that shot, actually.)

Aug 07 10 08:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Elaine Smithee
Posts: 1,613
New York, New York, US


Tog  wrote:

Translate "Finish like a boss?"  (I like that shot, actually.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NisCkxU544c

Aug 07 10 08:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tog
Posts: 55,204
Birmingham, Alabama, US


Seems like that would be hard to capture in one frame.

Aug 07 10 08:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sexxxy Michelle
Posts: 274
Los Angeles, California, US


Tog  wrote:

If I were going to try to talk you into "anything once" it wouldn't be nudity in the grass.  tongue

Lol! I guess I shouldn't ask what you would ask me.

Aug 07 10 08:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Imagebuffet
Posts: 15,842
Richardson, Texas, US


MWNudes wrote:

I don't agree. I really hope you don't believe that fast shooting = snapshots.

A good model is able to comprehend what you're telling them is the theme/style/point of the shoot (of course, it's good that the photographer know that beforehand, too), and immediately get to work. It doesn't take any rapport at all to make incredible photos. It helps, and I enjoy all of the past people that I've worked with still remaining friends with me after the shoot, but I don't think it's required.

And a model should know better than to wear something that's going to make both of you wait for marks to leave. In ANY setting, not just outdoors. And I never knew that they had to remain naked. I've always used a light robe or dress that wasn't too tight or dense, especially in between location and lighting changes. As I've modeled, all of the artists that I've worked with allowed that courtesy, for both painting and photography.

I'm a bisexual female who loves to look at women's bodies, just as much as the next guy, but definitely not at the expense of someone that I'm working with, and HOPE to develop a rapport with, especially to work with them a second time.

To each his own. But, when a model charges me in minimum 2-hour blocks, I guarantee, the shoot is not going to last only 10 minutes! I'll start experimenting with other shot concepts before I give up that quickly.

Aug 07 10 11:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Pondalee
Posts: 1,845
Glendale, California, US


I make sure my model knows what the environment will be and where we'll be.  I've done a few desert shots with no problems. 

There was one model that I was shooting in dense brush, she was fully clothed.  She actually mentioned that it was a sexy location for nude shots, so I asked her if she wanted to get nude.  She asked me if I was willing to be naked while I was shooting.  She didn't mean it in a sexual manner, she was asking me if I would expose myself to the itchies, the bugs, the pollen, just to get the shots.

She made a good point.  It didn't happen.
Aug 07 10 11:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Imagebuffet
Posts: 15,842
Richardson, Texas, US


Pondalee wrote:
I make sure my model knows what the environment will be and where we'll be.  I've done a few desert shots with no problems. 

There was one model that I was shooting in dense brush, she was fully clothed.  She actually mentioned that it was a sexy location for nude shots, so I asked her if she wanted to get nude.  She asked me if I was willing to be naked while I was shooting.  She didn't mean it in a sexual manner, she was asking me if I would expose myself to the itchies, the bugs, the pollen, just to get the shots.

She made a good point.  It didn't happen.

FWIW, I did self-portrait nudes at those locations I showed in my previous post before I hired the other models.

I have never been nude around a model, but when I am alone, I do pose and wander nude, sometimes for hours at a time, through grass, woods, creeks, desert, snow and mountains. My experience is that I handle the skin irritants better when I am nude than when I am clothed, probably because the skin irritants don't become embedded in my clothing, where it can remain in contact with my skin for much longer periods of time.

Aug 07 10 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Svend
Posts: 25,127
Boulder, Colorado, US


Imagebuffet wrote:

MWNudes wrote:
It's actually really easy.

1. Tell the model to wear clothes to hike in, like long pants and tennis shoes.

What?! The whole point is to get the model *out* of her clothes!

Some of us make the model slog *miles* through weeds and brush while naked.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/279 … fd2245.jpg 18+


Naked, pretty girl. Male photographer. What's not to understand?

Seriously, photography is more than just snapshots. It takes time to bring out the creative interpretation that a good shot requires. It might take hours just for the corduroy marks from the models clothes to come out (and, yes, artists generally *do* have the model hang around naked until those marks are gone before they begin work). After the model begins working, she needs to become part of the environment, and begin interpreting her work. She and the photographer need to establish a rapport.

UGH

Aug 07 10 12:07 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers