login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > I hate spending money, but I love smart buying! Search   Reply
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I just spent $91.52 on Christmas gifts (for several people) that retail for a total of $342.89. That's a $251.37 savings. I only had a $100 budget-- at retail price, I would've only been able to afford ONE of the gifts. Which is the reason for this post, I feel like a badass borat My shopping is doneeeeeeeeeee. Five people, in one fell swoop.

I've paid retail value, and I have no problem doing so at all (I'm not one of those people that sees ONLY quantity and doesn't take quality into account), but hot damn do I hate when people just buy off the shelf with no research at all, especially on big ticket items. I am not a fan of math (neutral As in, the first time I took freshman Algebra, I failed it with a grade of 49. So advanced math and I are not friends) but basic arithmetic (something I never had trouble with) comes in handy when you're saving money. So does research. Research is like your BFFL if you want to get a damn good deal.
Nov 28 12 09:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 8,195
Pleasant Hill, California, US


can you manage my life?
Nov 29 12 12:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Paolo Diavolo wrote:
can you manage my life?

lol Sorry, one life is all I can manage.

Nov 29 12 12:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,183
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


i just bought 20 lbs of grapefruit for $7, 20 liters of milk for $10 (most of which will be turned into yogurt, further multiplying my savings), and spent a grand total of $0 on christmas gifts this year because i have no life. beat that. tongue
Nov 29 12 12:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
i just bought 20 lbs of grapefruit for $7, 20 liters of milk for $10 (most of which will be turned into yogurt, further multiplying my savings), and spent a grand total of $0 on christmas gifts this year because i have no life. beat that. tongue

I don't eat grapefruit and the only milk I consume goes in the random midnight cereal snack. tongue  Take that!

Nov 29 12 12:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,183
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Becks wrote:
I don't eat grapefruit and the only milk I consume goes in the random midnight cereal snack. tongue  Take that!

who said anything about EATING grapefruit? i'm going to turn it into grapefruit wine. tongue

Nov 29 12 01:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 8,195
Pleasant Hill, California, US


Becks wrote:

lol Sorry, one life is all I can manage.

if i swallow your soul do we count as one?

Nov 29 12 01:31 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,680
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I shopped the online sales this weekend...still spent about a grand.  Fail.
Nov 29 12 03:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Sha-Lynne wrote:
I shopped the online sales this weekend...still spent about a grand.  Fail.

Well, in your defense, it was either for very expensive items or for a lot of people! I only had 5 people to buy for and only two of those people were worth spoiling with big gifts.

But I had easy stuff and didn't limit myself to brand new items, at least not for the most expensive things.

For example, one of the gifts I got my mom was the Wii Fit game & Balance board, which is $105 w/ tax, and I got it on CL in like-new condition, only used twice and with all the original packaging for $30-- AND the guy threw in a rechargeable battery kit and a jelly sleeve for the board, for free.

Nov 29 12 11:05 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,680
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Becks wrote:

Well, in your defense, it was either for very expensive items or for a lot of people! I only had 5 people to buy for and only two of those people were worth spoiling with big gifts.

But I had easy stuff and didn't limit myself to brand new items, at least not for the most expensive things.

For example, one of the gifts I got my mom was the Wii Fit game & Balance board, which is $105 w/ tax, and I got it on CL in like-new condition, only used twice and with all the original packaging for $30-- AND the guy threw in a rechargeable battery kit and a jelly sleeve for the board, for free.

I thought I was bring a smart shopper by shopping on the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Saved a crap-ton with online sales.  I was only buying for 5.5 people (the half is my niece lol).  I just bought everyone a lot plus I bought myself new clothes at the same time.

Nov 29 12 11:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Becks
Posts: 31,792
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Sha-Lynne wrote:

I thought I was bring a smart shopper by shopping on the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Saved a crap-ton with online sales.  I was only buying for 5.5 people (the half is my niece lol).  I just bought everyone a lot plus I bought myself new clothes at the same time.

Oh dude lol My mother and I made BANK on Thanksgiving night-- We got a 50" 1080p HDTV for $279, AFTER TAX. A full $95 below the doorbuster price. I felt like a badass. big_smile But I didn't included it in my OP because it wasn't really a gift, she bought it for herself. It's normally $748 after tax, though.

Nov 29 12 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Sha-Lynne
Posts: 22,680
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Becks wrote:

Oh dude lol My mother and I made BANK on Thanksgiving night-- We got a 50" 1080p HDTV for $279, AFTER TAX. A full $95 below the doorbuster price. I felt like a badass. big_smile But I didn't included it in my OP because it wasn't really a gift, she bought it for herself. It's normally $748 after tax, though.

Heh...I bought everything at once so idk how much holiday gifts were....

Nov 29 12 02:50 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers