login info join!
Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > New Website - please offer serious opinions Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


Hi folks,

I have just had my new website designed and gone live and I'd value some honest feedback!

www.facesforfilm.co.uk

many thanks!
Jan 29 13 03:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Heather J M wrote:
Hi folks,

I have just had my new website designed and gone live and I'd value some honest feedback!

www.facesforfilm.co.uk

many thanks!

First thing that slaps me in the face like a wet kipper and makes me want to hit Backspace is the 3rd person bio on the left. For me it always sounds pretentious. Get rid of it and write it in the 1st person so I can engage with you from the off.

In your gallery I was expecting at least one or two really 'gob-smacking' images that showed off your make-up skills.

Jan 29 13 07:20 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


Drew Smith Photography wrote:
First thing that slaps me in the face like a wet kipper and makes me want to hit Backspace is the 3rd person bio on the left. For me it always sounds pretentious. Get rid of it and write it in the 1st person so I can engage with you from the off.

In your gallery I was expecting at least one or two really 'gob-smacking' images that showed off your make-up skills.

Thank you for your feedback - I did worry that 3rd person sounded wanky, but I took advice and it would seem to be the norm.

What do you mean by 'gob-smacking'? I wonder if it is unclear from the text that my primary work comes from the film industry. I'm not against avante garde per se, but so far it just hasn't come up. Feel free to pitch a 'gob-smacking' makeup shoot to collaborate on.

Jan 29 13 09:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Nowadays everyone have a 16:9 monitor set at 1920x1080 resolution. There is a lot of blank space in the site and make everything and every pic small. Would also be great if the site can adapt automatically to different resolutions.

The full screen toggle for the pics is not working properly on Opera browser. Fine in IE, chrome
Jan 29 13 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


Ceci L wrote:
Nowadays everyone have a 16:9 monitor set at 1920x1080 resolution. There is a lot of blank space in the site and make everything and every pic small. Would also be great if the site can adapt automatically to different resolutions.

The full screen toggle for the pics is not working properly on Opera browser. Fine in IE, chrome

My laptop only goes to 1280x800 as the highest setting, I'll mention that to my web designer though. I know the site auto-resizes across platforms and works very well on mobile devices but I haven't had the opportunity to see it on a larger screen. Thank you. I'll also ask about Opera, I've only looked at it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Jan 29 13 11:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Heather J M wrote:

My laptop only goes to 1280x800 as the highest setting, I'll mention that to my web designer though. I know the site auto-resizes across platforms and works very well on mobile devices but I haven't had the opportunity to see it on a larger screen. Thank you. I'll also ask about Opera, I've only looked at it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

Yes, the site resizes to be smaller but not to be bigger than the standard resolution, and I think the limit should set up higher. I guess is for not make the images pixelated. But your images are high resolution already, so.. why don't make it support larger resolutions?

Jan 29 13 11:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JIOPIX
Posts: 1,092
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Ceci L wrote:
Nowadays everyone have a 16:9 monitor set at 1920x1080 resolution. There is a lot of blank space in the site and make everything and every pic small. Would also be great if the site can adapt automatically to different resolutions.

The full screen toggle for the pics is not working properly on Opera browser. Fine in IE, chrome

Most people do not have 1920x1080 monitors.   Here are some recent stats.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/11/stat … resolutio/

By the way, Heather... I think your website has a very simple, clean design.   Easy to navigate and loads relatively quickly.  I think that's more than I can say for most websites.  I think it is a very nice site.

Jan 29 13 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


JIOPIX wrote:
Most people do not have 1920x1080 monitors.   Here are some recent stats.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/11/stat … resolutio/

http://images.wikia.com/horadeaventura/es/images/d/d6/Okay.jpg

Jan 29 13 12:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JIOPIX
Posts: 1,092
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Ceci L wrote:

http://images.wikia.com/horadeaventura/es/images/d/d6/Okay.jpg

That's very funny smile

BTW... just revisted your port.   You have many lovely photos.

Jan 29 13 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


Thanks for your feedback Jiopix, and good to hear the navigation is working.

Ceci, I will mention it to the web designer!
Jan 29 13 12:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Heather J M wrote:
Thank you for your feedback - I did worry that 3rd person sounded wanky, but I took advice and it would seem to be the norm.

What do you mean by 'gob-smacking'? I wonder if it is unclear from the text that my primary work comes from the film industry. I'm not against avante garde per se, but so far it just hasn't come up. Feel free to pitch a 'gob-smacking' makeup shoot to collaborate on.

'Gob-smacking' = terrific/show stopping/tremendously good. smile

Something like this say:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/potd/entrants/121213/potd-121213-501500-big.jpg

And yes, I understand that this kind of work hasn't presented itself to you yet.

And I'm always open to collaboration. I'll pitch something at ya.

Drew

Jan 30 13 07:15 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Heather J M
Posts: 711
London, England, United Kingdom


Drew, I think I see what you mean. You mean images where makeup takes centre stage rather than is a quiet team player. I'd like to do a few like that - I have tried but I've never been particularly happy with the photographs I have received in return and it really has to be good if its going to draw that much attention to itself.

This image that you have posted though, I wouldn't use in my portfolio as it is so heavily retouched. Is it yours?
Jan 30 13 11:28 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers