login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Model's Hair - Levels of Attachment? Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


I'm a new photographer who just finished a project on the role of hair in the perceived beauty of women.  I found two beautiful model's who were willing to shave their heads.

As someone who really admires people who are able to pull off drastic makeovers (like shaving your head), I got to thinking: what makes some models unattached to their hair and others very attached?  Remove the potential lost compensation factor from the equation. 

I'm curious as to what others think.  The way I see it, there are three levels of attachment to one's hair:
Level 1 - willing to drastically change styles or shave your head for none or minimal compensation
Level 2 - willing to part with your hair only if the price is significant
Level 3 - not willing to part with your hair for any price.

Which level are you?  I'm Level 2, mostly because I'm not confidant enough to pull off no hair or different color hair.  And I'm not even a woman, or a model.     

Would your level change if you weren't a professional model?
Apr 01 13 10:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Christinare
Posts: 116
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US


I'm level 2 with limitations. I have no problem cutting and coloring it. It's been everything from a dark brown pixie cut to its current long blonde, and just about every style and color in between. I would definitely have a very hard time shaving it off, though. I would need some pretty major compensation to even consider it.

And no, it's nothing to do with being a model. I could get wigs for shoots.
Apr 01 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,784
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I'm a level 3. I love long hair - always have.
I cut it into a bob when I was 13 and regretted it. I've been growing it out since then and haven't cut it any shorter other than the occasional trim. I find long hair just suits me better - although I could be bias.

It wouldn't change if I wasn't modeling either.
Apr 01 13 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,658
Asheville, North Carolina, US


When I was modeling full-time, having long hair that was dyed red was the thing that often got me booked for work. People went nuts over it, so even after I didn't personally care about having it anymore, it was part of my livelihood and I HAD to keep it. After I "retired," I cut it very short, and eventually into a crew cut for awhile, because I no longer identified with being a model and *needing* my hair to feed/clothe/shelter myself.

When it was cut very short, men in public would sometimes make rude comments. I remember one person saying, "What happened to your head? Did you get scalped?" I was also dancing in strip clubs at the time, and I can't tell you how many men said, "oh, you would be so sexy with some hair," even though my hair had been nearly to my waist only months before.

I've let it grow out into a really generic-looking haircut now. some days I love it, and most days I hate it. I like either very, very short hair on young women, or very very long hair and tend to just feel "boring" now. I have a very intense identification with hair, and also have a fetish for long hair. It's a serious enough fetish that I am almost never physically attracted to men with short hair, prefer to only date men with long hair, and there is no other physical feature that excites me to the extent of long, thick hair.

Our culture is sort of obsessed with hair and hair length, more so than most of us even understand
Apr 01 13 11:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,489
Los Angeles, California, US


It is impossible for me to remove potentially lost income from the equation.

I did a hair show a few years back that took my hair from long to a short androgynous cut with fringe.

My agency and my freelance bookings COMPLETELY fell off.

I suppose I'd be a level 2, but that pay rate would have to be quite significant (10 grand or so), that for all logical purposes that seems closer to a 3.


If I wasn't modeling, I'd be a 1. I chopped all my hair off for locks of love before I started modeling. It was a chin-length cut, and I'd probably be willing to shave my head if I had a good cause or reason.
Apr 01 13 11:11 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kaley King
Posts: 1,027
Jefferson City, Missouri, US


I am a level 3.  I would never cut my long hair, and if I did it would look awful growing out because my hair is way too thick for short.  I dye my hair blonde, and want to keep it that way, I look better as a blonde.
Apr 01 13 11:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


I don't blame any of you for being attached to your hair, you're all beautiful with long hair.  For those who are a level 3, do you think you are that way because you did try a different short style once and you hated it?  Would it make a difference if you never tried a short haircut? 

One of the models I worked with shaved her head to support a relative with cancer and the other did it for a personal reason. 

The reason I said remove compensation from the equation was I wanted to know who would shave their head or cut their hair short if they got the same number of bookings and same compensation with short/no hair as they did with long hair.  I know there are some people who would say, "I wouldn't shave my head for a million dollars."  But do they actually mean it? 

I totally get not wanting to change your look because you could lose your income. 

I feel bad that society places such a heavy emphasis on long hair for women.  It seems like takes so much time for you to maintain it.  I wonder how many women would have shorter hair if they weren't afraid of rude comments or stares.   

Koryn, I'm sorry you had some asshole comment to you.  I am personally attracted to both long and short hair on women, but a woman who has the confidence to pull off a short haircut is definitely admirable. 

K I C K H A M, I don't think $10,000 is illogical for shaving your head, especially considering your occupation.  I think you'd look good with any length.
Apr 01 13 11:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
pamela mars
Posts: 1,719
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


level 2, bordering on 3...i can do either jawline length hair or well below shoulder length...in between is a disaster...

also, the compensation would have to be well worth it...
Apr 01 13 11:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,489
Los Angeles, California, US


FCPart wrote:
I don't blame any of you for being attached to your hair, you're all beautiful with long hair.  For those who are a level 3, do you think you are that way because you did try a different short style once and you hated it?  Would it make a difference if you never tried a short haircut? 

One of the models I worked with shaved her head to support a relative with cancer and the other did it for a personal reason. 

The reason I said remove compensation from the equation was I wanted to know who would shave their head or cut their hair short if they got the same number of bookings and same compensation with short/no hair as they did with long hair.  I know there are some people who would say, "I wouldn't shave my head for a million dollars."  But do they actually mean it? 

I totally get not wanting to change your look because you could lose your income. 

I feel bad that society places such a heavy emphasis on long hair for women.  It seems like takes so much time for you to maintain it.  I wonder how many women would have shorter hair if they weren't afraid of rude comments or stares.   

Koryn, I'm sorry you had some asshole comment to you.  I am personally attracted to both long and short hair on women, but a woman who has the confidence to pull off a short haircut is definitely admirable. 

K I C K H A M, I don't think $10,000 is illogical for shaving your head, especially considering your occupation.  I think you'd look good with any length.

smile That's very sweet, thank you!

I don't think the short hair looked terrible, but I was certainly less marketable.

Apr 01 13 11:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,267
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I shaved my head twice for charity. Loved it. Would I do it again? Probably, but I want to wait. I've had short hair for a decade now and I'm in the middle of growing it back. I'm probably a 2 then?
Apr 01 13 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cassidy N H
Posts: 29
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


I'm definitely level 3.  I don't know why... It's just easier to manage.  Girls with shorter hair seem to have it cut in a way that needs to be styled every day, know what I mean?  Some days I just wanna brush it and go.  haha But then again I don't know cause I've never had short hair. 

There is just something about the length of my hair that I love.  I like to whip it around when I teach zumba and I love when people play with it and braid it.  Hair cuts are stressful times for me, even if it's just a trim.  hmm

HOWEVER, I adore those girls who can rock those short hair do's.  So awesome!!!
I most likely couldn't pull it off.  Here's a question for those willing to answer.  Would I be able to pull off a shorter "do?" How short? I've always wondered.
Apr 01 13 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cassidy N H
Posts: 29
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


P I X I E wrote:
I shaved my head twice for charity. Loved it. Would I do it again? Probably, but I want to wait. I've had short hair for a decade now and I'm in the middle of growing it back. I'm probably a 2 then?

That's so lovely of you to do.  I've thought about if I've ever do something like that.  I'd guess it'd have to be on a very personal level since I'm so attached to it.  My family is known for all the girls being redheads.  If any of my 3 sisters became sick,  I'd give up my hair for them in an instant!

Cause all in all... it does grow back.

Apr 01 13 11:51 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,779
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


My hair is short and hasn't grown in years. I wear extensions all the time and only show my real hair when asked. I HATE short hair and was teased for 6 years throughout school because of it. I can also tell how un-pretty I look compared to other girls in my agency. So as long as I can hide the short hair I'm fine
Apr 01 13 11:51 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nicolette
Posts: 12,629
Midland, Texas, US


1.

I change my hair like I change my clothes. I'm constantly bored with it so I dye it all the time.
I had it partially shaved for a while.

It's shoulder length and boring now >.
Apr 01 13 11:51 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Isis22
Posts: 2,274
Muncie, Indiana, US


I am a hobbyist and I would say I am a Level 2. I have had medical issues in the past and doctors threatened to shave my head because of it. I came to terms with losing my hair then and in a medical situation I would be completely fine with shaving it. I have cut my hair and NOT cut my hair for specific modeling shoots.
Apr 01 13 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,267
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Cassidy N H wrote:

That's so lovely of you to do.  I've thought about if I've ever do something like that.  I'd guess it'd have to be on a very personal level since I'm so attached to it.  My family is known for all the girls being redheads.  If any of my 3 sisters became sick,  I'd give up my hair for them in an instant!

Cause all in all... it does grow back.

Thank you. smile I did it for a charity here that helps kids who have cancer and their families. A lot of people came up to me afterwards to tell me they admired me. Also had my share of idiots who yelled insults at me, but I'd tell them to piss off.

Me as a baldie: http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24895483
Used to have more photos of me being bald. I changed the genre of modeling I'm doing so some of them were more fetish-oriented and so they were ditched. But anyway, in 5+ years when my hair is longer and/or I get bored, I'll totally shave it again.

Apr 01 13 11:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Cassidy N H
Posts: 29
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Love it!!  You totally pull it off!!  Fantastic work by the way!  wink
Apr 01 13 12:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cassidy N H
Posts: 29
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Love it!!  You totally pull it off!!  Fantastic work by the way!  wink

Apr 01 13 12:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,267
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Cassidy N H wrote:
Love it!!  You totally pull it off!!  Fantastic work by the way!  wink

Aw, thanks! :3

Apr 01 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,784
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


FCPart wrote:
I don't blame any of you for being attached to your hair, you're all beautiful with long hair.  For those who are a level 3, do you think you are that way because you did try a different short style once and you hated it?  Would it make a difference if you never tried a short haircut?

Like I said, I did hate it. Which is why I've never cut it beyond my shoulders now. Even then that would be pushing it.

Before I decided to cut it, I loved my long hair but I got tired of taking care of it. It would get so many tangles and knots from swimming all day that I didn't want to deal with having to bush them all out. Which is why I got it cut. I wanted something different and I thought short might be the way to go. The hairdresser was pretty much crying when she was cutting my hair.

I think there might be a difference for the people who haven't cut their hair short. I know before I cut my hair I always played around with it wondering what it would look like if it was shorter. But since I've been there done that, I know what I want and how I want my hair to look.

I've dyed it another colour other than blonde as well for the first time since I started dying my hair (I dyed it about a month ago now). It was really hard from me to let go and try something new because I had always been so fixated on the 'pretty blonde girl with big boobs' stereotype that everyone seemed to love so much. I think that stemmed moreso from low self esteem than anything. I felt 'secure' in the stereotype that I was putting forth and trying to emulate.

Now that I'm more comfortable in my own skin, I feel alright trying new things with my hair (like a different colour) and not having to type fit into a certain stereotype to get people to think that I'm pretty.

Apr 01 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


Cassidy N H wrote:
I'm definitely level 3.  I don't know why... It's just easier to manage.  Girls with shorter hair seem to have it cut in a way that needs to be styled every day, know what I mean?  Some days I just wanna brush it and go.  haha But then again I don't know cause I've never had short hair. 

There is just something about the length of my hair that I love.  I like to whip it around when I teach zumba and I love when people play with it and braid it.  Hair cuts are stressful times for me, even if it's just a trim.  hmm

HOWEVER, I adore those girls who can rock those short hair do's.  So awesome!!!
I most likely couldn't pull it off.  Here's a question for those willing to answer.  Would I be able to pull off a shorter "do?" How short? I've always wondered.

\

Cassidy, you look GREAT with long hair!  I don't blame you for not wanting to cut it.  For some people, long hair is where it's at.  If it's not broke, don't fix it. 
 
In terms of pulling off a shorter do, one way to test it without actually cutting your hair is to pull your hair back.  It helps if you have strong facial features - like big expressive eyes or plump lips.  You seem to have the facial features to pull it off. 

I would ask other models for their opinion as well.  Your hairdresser should also be able to tell you what kind of cut would look good.  Ultimately what it comes down to is confidence.  If you aren't confident in your hair, no matter the length, it will show.  The girls who rock it bald or short have a self confidence that I envy. 

Pixie, you looked great with a shaved head and short hair.  You definitely pull it off.  What a selfless act on your part.  Kudos!    Btw, I LOVE this look: http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/6828198

K I C K H A M, that's too bad you weren't as marketable.  This is my favorite pic of yours, though I can't tell how long your hair was. 
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/15692987

Apr 01 13 12:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


NicoleNudes wrote:

Like I said, I did hate it. Which is why I've never cut it beyond my shoulders now. Even then that would be pushing it.

Before I decided to cut it, I loved my long hair but I got tired of taking care of it. It would get so many tangles and knots from swimming all day that I didn't want to deal with having to bush them all out. Which is why I got it cut. I wanted something different and I thought short might be the way to go. The hairdresser was pretty much crying when she was cutting my hair.

I think there might be a difference for the people who haven't cut their hair short. I know before I cut my hair I always played around with it wondering what it would look like if it was shorter. But since I've been there done that, I know what I want and how I want my hair to look.

I've dyed it another colour other than blonde as well for the first time since I started dying my hair (I dyed it about a month ago now). It was really hard from me to let go and try something new because I had always been so fixated on the 'pretty blonde girl with big boobs' stereotype that everyone seemed to love so much. I think that stemmed moreso from low self esteem than anything. I felt 'secure' in the stereotype that I was putting forth and trying to emulate.

Now that I'm more comfortable in my own skin, I feel alright trying new things with my hair (like a different colour) and not having to type fit into a certain stereotype to get people to think that I'm pretty.

That makes sense.  I think coloring is nice way of changing it up without the risk of a lengthy grow out period if you hate it.  I think everyone always wonders what they would look like if they cut their hair like ______.  For you it didn't turn out how you wanted, but now you know what you like, so it's probably a good thing you did it or you would always wonder.  Being comfortable in who you are is definitely the key, I'm glad you feel like you don't have to be the stereotype people judge you as.

Apr 01 13 12:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,267
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


FCPart wrote:

\

Cassidy, you look GREAT with long hair!  I don't blame you for not wanting to cut it.  For some people, long hair is where it's at.  If it's not broke, don't fix it. 
 
In terms of pulling off a shorter do, one way to test it without actually cutting your hair is to pull your hair back.  It helps if you have strong facial features - like big expressive eyes or plump lips.  You seem to have the facial features to pull it off. 

I would ask other models for their opinion as well.  Your hairdresser should also be able to tell you what kind of cut would look good.  Ultimately what it comes down to is confidence.  If you aren't confident in your hair, no matter the length, it will show.  The girls who rock it bald or short have a self confidence that I envy. 

Pixie, you looked great with a shaved head and short hair.  You definitely pull it off.  What a selfless act on your part.  Kudos!    Btw, I LOVE this look: http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/6828198

K I C K H A M, that's too bad you weren't as marketable.  This is my favorite pic of yours, though I can't tell how long your hair was. 
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/15692987

Thank you!

It helps a lot that the hairstylist I've been going to for the past 5.5 years has learned to get to know me. She knows what fits me and what doesn't. She has carte blanche on my hair. Except for those 2 times I shaved it, it's mostly been her call. And that is great.

This is what my hair looks like now:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482290_10152744588950647_1930651689_n.jpg

Bob cut in progress and Bettie Page bangs. Btw this photo is completely unedited/unretouched and I am not wearing any makeup.

Apr 01 13 12:36 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,658
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Cassidy N H wrote:
I'm definitely level 3.  I don't know why... It's just easier to manage.  Girls with shorter hair seem to have it cut in a way that needs to be styled every day, know what I mean?  Some days I just wanna brush it and go.  haha But then again I don't know cause I've never had short hair. 

There is just something about the length of my hair that I love.  I like to whip it around when I teach zumba and I love when people play with it and braid it.  Hair cuts are stressful times for me, even if it's just a trim.  hmm

HOWEVER, I adore those girls who can rock those short hair do's.  So awesome!!!
I most likely couldn't pull it off.  Here's a question for those willing to answer.  Would I be able to pull off a shorter "do?" How short? I've always wondered.

Short hair is easier if it's REALLY short, like clipper cut. If there's any layering, or "style," then it's much more difficult

Apr 01 13 01:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Less Than Two
Posts: 23,401
Ann Arbor, Michigan, US


I used to have hair long enough to brush my thighs. I loved it and would have rathered part with my left arm.
Sickness and foolishness caused me to have to cut it all off, 2 inches short.
Its now barely midback. I'm not keen on cutting it off again, I still don't recognize myself.
Apr 01 13 02:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
immateria
Posts: 15,446
Brooklyn, New York, US


I haven't had a hair cut in over a year. My hair is almost down to my butt. It's not that I'm super attached to it (other than, y'know) physically, but I'm not really willing to change it drastically for any reason other my own preference.

That said, I'm thinking of cutting it all off this summer.
Apr 01 13 02:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Affinity Finch
Posts: 652
Bodmin, England, United Kingdom


I'd deffinately shave my head if I got bored with my hair, bald chicks are hot ahaha
No yea I wouldn't mind being bald, wigs are always an option too smile
Apr 01 13 02:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


immateria wrote:
I haven't had a hair cut in over a year. My hair is almost down to my butt. It's not that I'm super attached to it (other than, y'know) physically, but I'm not really willing to change it drastically for any reason other my own preference.

That said, I'm thinking of cutting it all off this summer.

immateria,

Love your port!  You look great with long hair, but if you do want to cut it all off, I'd love to work with you if you want to make a shoot out of it.

Apr 01 13 02:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lynn Elizabeth
Posts: 1,336
Coral Springs, Florida, US


I would say I'm between Level 2 and 3.

While I don't mind a color change and drastic cut (since I have just gone from really long, brown hair to shorter, blonde hair) I will not shave my head. I don't think I would ever be able to do that.
Apr 01 13 02:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Snuff Elles
Posts: 593
ADGER, Alabama, US


I'm about a 2, I have considered shaving my head but only to about a couple inches in length, the thought of having a shiny pale light bulb head freaks me out a bit tongue
Apr 01 13 02:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Saedcantas
Posts: 445
Saint Saviour, Saint Saviour, United Kingdom


I've only ever been to a hairsalon twice in my life, both at age 14 and I got the "Jennifer Anniston" shoulder length feathered cut...

I'm a level 3 big_smile I've never had hair shorter than shoulder length (except as a child obviously!) and I would still feel the same if I wasn't modelling smile

My hair is part of my identity, even down to the shade of red I dye it, people wouldn't recognise me, it would be like choosing to become invisible tongue
Apr 01 13 03:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


Saedcantas wrote:
I've only ever been to a hairsalon twice in my life, both at age 14 and I got the "Jennifer Anniston" shoulder length feathered cut...

I'm a level 3 big_smile I've never had hair shorter than shoulder length (except as a child obviously!) and I would still feel the same if I wasn't modelling smile

My hair is part of my identity, even down to the shade of red I dye it, people wouldn't recognise me, it would be like choosing to become invisible tongue

I agree with you - your hair shade is so unique I wouldn't dare touch it or the length. Your look definitely works.

And what fun is it being invisible?  Aren't we all meant to stand out in our own way?  smile

Apr 01 13 03:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
- Aina -
Posts: 731
Redlands, California, US


I'm a level three. That control leads to anything having to do with my body, actually. If I make decisions for change, it is on my own desires and not of others. I've typically had long hair since I was young. Then, I have those moments where I want great change and chop it all off. Once, it was for the hell of it to see what I would look like (wasn't crazy about it, but I liked the difference for the first 24 hours). The second time, it was more for the health of my hair as I didn't get hair cuts very often and would benefit from a new start. My hair is getting longer again and since I have taken such fantastic care of it, it will stay long for a good years to come. I prefer longer hair anyway. Personal preference.
Apr 01 13 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sirensong
Posts: 2,173
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom


Hair is hair, but its always thrown me how identifying it can be and how it totally throws others people to talk of cutting it..

I can remember years ago doing a wee experiment, nothing more than going out to a club, same clothes each night, but one night a long blonde wig, the other bald.
Reaction with wig, pretty positive when compared to the overwhelmingly negative(and one or two downright nasty) of without...

For me its ..well, its just hair, it stopped being 'me' a long time ago, but I suppose its very different in that I dont have the choice to grow it back in if it doesnt suit me.
I have a wig collection that takes up 3ft square in my bedroom and I rather like never having a bad hair day and being able to chose a style/colour to match this or that smile
Apr 01 13 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,658
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Sirensong wrote:
Hair is hair, but its always thrown me how identifying it can be and how it totally throws others people to talk of cutting it..

I can remember years ago doing a wee experiment, nothing more than going out to a club, same clothes each night, but one night a long blonde wig, the other bald.
Reaction with wig, pretty positive when compared to the overwhelmingly negative(and one or two downright nasty) of without...

For me its ..well, its just hair, it stopped being 'me' a long time ago, but I suppose its very different in that I dont have the choice to grow it back in if it doesnt suit me.
I have a wig collection that takes up 3ft square in my bedroom and I rather like never having a bad hair day and being able to chose a style/colour to match this or that smile

The only time I ever got hit on a lot was when I had long, bleached blonde hair. After I dyed it back to its natural color (dark), the attention abruptly stopped. I don't care much anymore, so whatever, but I did care when I was 21 or so.

Apr 01 13 03:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


Sirensong wrote:
Hair is hair, but its always thrown me how identifying it can be and how it totally throws others people to talk of cutting it..

I can remember years ago doing a wee experiment, nothing more than going out to a club, same clothes each night, but one night a long blonde wig, the other bald.
Reaction with wig, pretty positive when compared to the overwhelmingly negative(and one or two downright nasty) of without...

For me its ..well, its just hair, it stopped being 'me' a long time ago, but I suppose its very different in that I dont have the choice to grow it back in if it doesnt suit me.
I have a wig collection that takes up 3ft square in my bedroom and I rather like never having a bad hair day and being able to chose a style/colour to match this or that smile

You are GORGEOUS without hair, but I'm sure you already knew that. smile  Sounds like you ran into some pretty closed minded, judgmental people out in the world.  F$%^ 'em.  I'm always amazed when I hear stories like yours of people who make rude comments to others about how they look.  There by the grace of God go they. 

Personally, if I saw a bald woman out at a bar or club, I would immediately be interested in her because 1) she has confidence, which is the most attractive trait to me and 2) she is not like the 10 other bleach blonde girls at the bar.

Apr 01 13 03:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FCPart
Posts: 20
Chicago, Illinois, US


Koryn Locke wrote:
The only time I ever got hit on a lot was when I had long, bleached blonde hair. After I dyed it back to its natural color (dark), the attention abruptly stopped. I don't care much anymore, so whatever, but I did care when I was 21 or so.

WTF is wrong with people?  You look great with dark hair. 

Doesn't anyone appreciate uniqueness anymore?

Apr 01 13 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,658
Asheville, North Carolina, US


FCPart wrote:

WTF is wrong with people?  You look great with dark hair. 

Doesn't anyone appreciate uniqueness anymore?

I read some kind of article awhile back, saying that people might find blondes more sexually appealing because the gene that causes (natural) blond hair is rarer than for dark hair. People are often attracted to individuals with genetics different from their own (stronger offspring), so you end up with men craving blond women even if they blonde is from dye, because the color confuses the part of our brains that identify people with diverse genetics suitable for breeding.

Apr 01 13 03:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
LauraPaige
Posts: 204
Chocowinity, North Carolina, US


I'm a level 1. I'll shave it all off for minimal comp. I'm kind of attached to my mohawk right now, but I've been pondering going back to my pixie cut. Might as well shave it all off and start from scratch! tongue ...and there's a wig shop near where I live. No prob! I gotta wear a wig to work right now anyway.
Apr 01 13 03:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Aya Lorenz
Posts: 7
Rockville, Maryland, US


In terms of length I am not attached to my hair at all and cut it back to a fairly short length about once a year.  I feel like I can pull of both long and short looks but short just suits my personality better.  I am however very picky about the style and probably wouldn't be willing to do just anything for a shoot if I wasn't sure it would look good.
Apr 01 13 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers