login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > DAR Critiques > One more image for critique!Thx! Search   Reply
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


First full body retouch (well almost full body) so need to get some feedback and pros and cons if possible.
Thx guys in advance!!!

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130511/12/518e9997c99ec.jpg
May 15 13 04:16 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Mike Needham Retouching
Posts: 369
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Looks good to me, but without the original......
May 16 13 03:21 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


There you go before and after and pls a harsh critique smile

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130516/03/5194b502f22f8.jpg
May 16 13 03:30 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Retouch007
Posts: 403
East Newark, New Jersey, US


its seems to me you lost a lot of skin information and shape. Clothes:  I would have take some wrinkles out soften some others and shape her body a little bit too. but everyone has their own style of retouching.
May 16 13 03:38 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


For the skin I might have used more D&B to bring the shape back... Thx for feedback to everyone!
May 16 13 03:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,361
Belmont, California, US


Overall I like it very much.

Hardly "harsh" but my nits would be:
1. Clean up wispy bits of hair.
2. Cheek's transition to shadow is either too abrupt or too dark, not sure which.
3. Darken finger (thumb) nail color to break up expanse of white.
May 16 13 12:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Retouch007
Posts: 403
East Newark, New Jersey, US


Ricky Morgan wrote:
For the skin I might have used more D&B to bring the shape back... Thx for feedback to everyone!

try not to remove so much in the first place. think smooth w shape. chill out with filters I wouldn't recommend them at least the way I have seen them used here. Just my opinion. Also, buy Natalias and Kruno's dvds they are really good.

The reason that hard shadow stands is out is because he took everything in between out so it looks the way it looks now.

May 17 13 04:52 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


Actually this is after a while I have used the Portraiture plug in on the hands, forearms and really a small bit on the face but I see now it totally lost texture in the face.

I have all dvd's, magazines and almost everything you can gather I have it all, as I am new to retouching to be honest just 4 months so inhaling it in a big style smile

Actually Kruno's way of teaching is really good and the way he explains everything that made me really passionate about retouching smile smile

Again thx for feedback!

Regards

Ricky
May 17 13 12:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Retouch007
Posts: 403
East Newark, New Jersey, US


Kruno, in particular is great he helped me out a lot with the d&b and just basically trying everything until I found my own way.

Save a couple of these beginning images so down the line you can see how far you have come. Most of us have gone the short cut route for a while only to come back around. But do learn it all you never know when it will come in handy.
May 17 13 06:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


R G wrote:
Kruno, in particular is great he helped me out a lot with the d&b and just basically trying everything until I found my own way.

Save a couple of these beginning images so down the line you can see how far you have come. Most of us have gone the short cut route for a while only to come back around. But do learn it all you never know when it will come in handy.

I will do and thx for help mate!

May 19 13 03:13 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
The Invisible Touch
Posts: 706
Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain


I think is a good attempt but you have lost a lot of information mainly on the face which is what you have work the most and compare to the rest of the image, it looks too much. Fashion images have to be treated very differently than beauty. So don't forget about the rest of the body, shape, colours... is not about skin but more about the overall look.

On the face I would bring back a lot of detail and try to add a bit of contour to the nose on the left side(looking at the screen) as it doesn't have any shape.

Also on the left side of the face, next to her cheek/jaw there is like a distracting darker line which could be smooth out.

Eyebrows have a funny shape and arms look like blurred!

Regarding the clothing, I would try to reduce the creases but not a big deal and finally the most important part of all... Colour

I like you have done, maybe just desaturate the lips a bit, if you have a reddish cheek, the other one should have some sort of similarity but very subtle!!

I hope this helps.

Less is more!
May 19 13 03:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ricky Morgan
Posts: 78
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland


The Invisible Touch wrote:
I think is a good attempt but you have lost a lot of information mainly on the face which is what you have work the most and compare to the rest of the image, it looks too much. Fashion images have to be treated very differently than beauty. So don't forget about the rest of the body, shape, colours... is not about skin but more about the overall look.

On the face I would bring back a lot of detail and try to add a bit of contour to the nose on the left side(looking at the screen) as it doesn't have any shape.

Also on the left side of the face, next to her cheek/jaw there is like a distracting darker line which could be smooth out.

Eyebrows have a funny shape and arms look like blurred!

Regarding the clothing, I would try to reduce the creases but not a big deal and finally the most important part of all... Colour

I like you have done, maybe just desaturate the lips a bit, if you have a reddish cheek, the other one should have some sort of similarity but very subtle!!

I hope this helps.

Less is more!

Thank you very much mate for your feedback and help in one!!! Definitely big help thanks!!!

Regards

Ricky

May 20 13 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers