Rhodora! if the sages ask thee why
This charm is wasted on the earth and sky,
Tell them, dear, that, if eyes were made for seeing,
Then beauty is its own excuse for Being;
Why thou wert there, O rival of the rose!
I never thought to ask; I never knew;
But in my simple ignorance suppose
The self-same power that brought me there, brought you. --Emerson
Thank you for visiting my page. I have been fascinated by photography for as long as I can remember. I started playing around with my dad's Pentax KX and some Kodachrome when I was just a wee lad, and have loved it ever since.
I am interested in working with models, MUAs, wardrobe and hair stylists who may be looking to enhance their portfolio. Got an idea for a shoot that you've always wanted to try? Run it by me, and maybe we can work together. I have a good eye, and I'm very creative, professional, and easy going.
More of my work:
***UPDATE*** Back to digital for the majority of my work, for now, but I'm still happy to shoot film any chance I get. Anyone want to burn some rolls of TMax while it's still around?
My philosophy and how I work:
- Photography is just a hobby for me, albeit a serious one. I make no profits from it (i.e. I do not sell my work), I am merely seeking to improve my own skills. Therefore, I do not charge, nor can I afford to pay; I collaborate. I know that there are many folks who work only on a paid basis, and I respect that, I really do. I am a musician, and I understand what it means to play for your supper. If this is you, unfortunately that means that we may have to be content with just admiring each others work. Perhaps that will one day change, but for now, I believe in trading talent for talent. Please don't send me messages saying "I really love your work, let's shoot!! Here are my rates..." To me that says, "I'd really love for you to pay me." It just smacks of insincerity.
- There is a school of thought that says that a model should be like human tofu - lacking in personal flavor, but able to take on the identity of the clothes or product that he/she is selling. There's something to be said for versatility I guess, but I flat out reject this notion. I can always tell when a photographer has projected an artificial persona onto a model. I am interested in models who have their own style and identity, who know the direction they want their portfolio to take, who have their own soul. I want to know who you
are. I have a questionnaire for prospective models to fill out, but feel free to tell me anything about yourself that will help me portray you the way you want to be seen.
- *UPDATE* I am now studio based though I will continue to shoot on-location as well. My studio is located in Cincinnati near Reading. I'm payin' for it; let's use it
I am happy to travel within about two hours of Cincinnati (so Cinci, Dayton, Louisville, Lexington, Columbus, Indy; basically if I show up in your 100 mile search filter, we're golden), or longer trips might be feasible at times. I also may be able to cover certain travel expenses if you'd like to shoot in beautiful downtown Newport. Let's talk and see what we can work out. I do own a professional studio lighting setup and backdrops, or it's always hard to go wrong with natural light.
- I am a trustworthy fellow, but if having an escort along will make you feel more comfortable, then I'm all for it. No, that's not a typo, I want you to be able to relax and be yourself in front of the lens, and it's hard to do that if you are nervous. That being said, it is also hard for me to work when someone is staring daggers at me or worse. Please make sure that if you bring an escort, they are supportive of your modeling, and up to speed with what you will
be doing. I have never had a bad experience with an escort, so please don't be the one to make me rethink this policy. I reserve the right to turn your escort into a human reflector stand. Haha!
- I am not looking to shoot with every model on the web; I am actually pretty selective. There are certain genres that interest me, and certain models who have a look that I like (I believe the French term is Je ne sais quoi.
) There are quite a few models who I find very beautiful, but who still don't interest me as subjects. And no offense meant, but I don't subscribe to the ideals of beauty promoted by SuicideGirls, and similar websites. If you are overly inked or pierced or modded, chances are, I'm not the photographer for you.
- I work and go to school, and my schedule changes from week to week. I cannot always shoot at the drop of a hat. Generally a week is the minimum amount of notice I need to properly schedule and plan for a shoot. You never know though, there may be nothing stopping me from shooting on five minutes notice, it's just the chances (and the results) are better if I have some lead time. I prefer to meet in person before the shoot when it's practical to work out the details (distance is obviously a factor), or we can discuss it over the phone. Phone calls, much like dandruff shampoos, help prevent flaking. I look forward to hearing from you.
Fun facts about me:
I've been on this site for almost nine years, and only have 135 friends. I've yet to decide whether that a bad thing or a good thing.
I don't own an iPod, a Bluetooth, a Blackberry, a pager, a GPS, a TiVo, a working TV, a wristwatch, a twitter, a facebook, an instagram, or a myspace. Really. Oh, and by the way, what the hell is a hash tag? Some new way to label your marijuana?
I am the alternative to "alternative"; I am traditional.
Superpowers - I can drink my own weight in coffee in a day.
I like "classical" and jazz music.
I have a great sense of humor. Don't know if you'll find it funny, but I think I'm hysterical
I charge nothing to shoot, but my work is easily worth twice that. Ask me about my money-back guarantee.
I shoot 35mm and medium format film and digital. My roots are in film.
I photograph lots of other subjects besides people.