Forums > Model Colloquy > Is it worth it to pay for models.com or supermodel

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

I was looking through models.com and supermodel.com and was wondering if its worth it to pay $90 for a year perscription and up to 20 pictures? I've been through scams like wilhemina and paid 900 for acting site and another 900 for modeling but it said on models.com that it was part of the better business burea! So i can't go wrong,could you take a look and tell me your thoughts? I also was thinking of paying $995 for a www.nycfashiongroup.com shoot because the pictures are what i exactly need for a jump in my career.My tfp's aren't paying off and look candid.Tell me what you think

Sep 04 05 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I don't think any of those are worth paying for .. but if u want to find out.. models.com is worth a try since it's about 10% of the others.

Sep 05 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Before you spend another nickle take what you
have to some licensed modeling agencies.
There are tons in New York.
Stop spending your money and time untill
you know the direction your book and
your focus should be.

Sep 05 05 12:19 am Link

Model

Maria T

Thank you both,much appreciated. I was thinking I should for a long time,now I think it's the step I should take

Sep 05 05 12:25 am Link

Photographer

David Scherer

The internet is great for lots of things, but sometimes going in person to people or handing them good old ink on canvas really is better.

Sep 05 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Before you spend another nickle take what you
have to some licensed modeling agencies.

If you are going to look for agencies in New York, and you should always try the agency route first, I suggest two things.

First, go now, go quickly.  Twenty-two is getting old for the New York market.  You have the height but they look for teenagers.  You are about as old as they will consider you so get in their quck because the sooner you do it, the better your chances.

Second, artistic nudity is fine, but don't portray yourself as a glamour model if you go to a New York Fashion agency.   If you go to the New York commercial agencies, the cleaner the image the better.

If you come to California again, your image can be a bit sexier because it fits our market.

Best of luck to you.

Sep 05 05 03:39 am Link

Model

Maria T

Ohh no,22..I'm getting old,lol.Thanks again

Sep 05 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Arthur

Red Bank, New Jersey, US

Save your money.  Tony gave you good advice.

Sep 05 05 01:45 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

If you want beautiful pictures, come to Siskiyou Digital Imaging...If you want fame and fortune, go to the agencies...and if you want to spend all your money for nothing, you can do that too.

Sep 05 05 01:59 pm Link

Model

Deanna Kay

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I think that models.com is a good deal.  I wnt through them and now im being marketed to all the alist agencies

Sep 06 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Chex

Los Angeles, California, US

Hmmm just looked nycfashiongroup website.  I wouldn't trust it.  It shows a lot of signs of being unprofessional.  Type-O's.  Untitled webpages, Page layout isn't compatible etc.

Sep 06 05 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

dont pay that much for exposure and search a bit harder for your tfps

Sep 06 05 07:06 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Zach Watkins wrote:
dont pay that much for exposure and search a bit harder for your tfps

Thats what I was thinking..now I set up shoots with the best tfp's or pay a couple hundred for top photographers. Thank you everyone for the advice and luv.

Sep 06 05 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

If you are going the agency route, I would not waste your time with the fashion agencies, as you don't have the look they'll be interested in and it will just be a disappointing/frustrating experience for you. (not trying to be mean honest - just trying to save you an unhappy experience).
If you want to try some commercial agencies, see if you can pop into some open calls and get some feedback. I'd seriously tone-down the makeup though... (of course I'm judging from your glamour pictures, so you might already know that).

John

Sep 06 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Erika Marie

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

For somebody who has the stats for fashion, models.com is a great place.  Someone who may be interested in other types of modeling, models.com might not work for them.  I've been a member of models.com since 1998 & I continue to pay the fee every year.  I made a lot of friends there on the forums... lifetime friends.  That alone is worth the cost, even though I don't model anymore.

Sep 06 05 10:17 pm Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

run away, run away.

Unless you are 16-20, a fashion model and living in NYC...Models.com really has NOTHING to offer you.

Sep 19 05 04:03 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

phil taylor

Work with a top photographer, designer, magazine, etc.
Usually if you work with one you're working with all.

That's usually what sites and agencies are for-to get you working with the best.  But you can do it.

Then it's the top!

agns

Sep 19 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Deanna Kay wrote:
I think that models.com is a good deal.  I wnt through them and now im being marketed to all the alist agencies

Has this turned into paying gigs though? That would seem to be the better measure than whatever "being marketed to all the alist agencies" means.

Sep 19 05 11:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

I agree with Erika and Aimer. Models.com is great for those with REAL and not imagined fashion stats (Have not looked at your port so this is not a personal stab). It is also good for any photographers, hairstylists, makeup artists, and stylists for networking. I tend to think the caliber of talent on that site is higher because of the cost involved. I have been a member for two years and get a lot out of the posts and articles.

Kathy
MUA

Sep 21 05 06:41 pm Link

Model

highfashion_sara

New York, New York, US

I will say- that you've gotten some good feedback.  I do agree with who ever said it would be wise to go to open calls to get some feedback from agencies.  As for models.com- I've been a member for the past several months and loved it- several agencies/photographers have already contacted me and the forums give a lot of great feedback and info- especially when they have an agency like wilhemina on answering questions;)

Sep 22 05 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Maria Tsardoulias wrote:
I was looking through models.com and supermodel.com and was wondering if its worth it to pay $90 for a year perscription and up to 20 pictures? I've been through scams like wilhemina and paid 900 for acting site and another 900 for modeling but it said on models.com that it was part of the better business burea! So i can't go wrong,could you take a look and tell me your thoughts? I also was thinking of paying $995 for a www.nycfashiongroup.com shoot because the pictures are what i exactly need for a jump in my career.My tfp's aren't paying off and look candid.Tell me what you think

Models.com is owned by OMP. So to me, you are paying to see the same thing since lots of models on OMP are also on models.com

Sep 22 05 11:27 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Models.com is owned by OMP. So to me, you are paying to see the same thing since lots of models on OMP are also on models.com

Wow.I didn't know that,thanks for the info

Sep 22 05 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

It depends on what you want. 

If you are looking for photographers (you didn't really say that) the ones here are as good as or better than the ones that remained on the other sites when they went subscription. 

If you are looking for an agency, then the web is simply not the place to do that.  Go visit agencies with a fist full of polaroids.

As with anything else, follow the money.  When a place or agency or person or whatever wants money from you, you can bet their primary source of income is getting money from you, and from others, the same way.

The exception is when your booker for the agency that reps you has told you to go to a specific shooter for specific photographs.  Then you pay.

(When MM goes subscription, and it will, I'll leave.  The funny thing is that subscriptions are "thought" to keep the serious folks around and drive out the shysters, but they have exactly the opposite effect.  At least with photographers.  The shooters that don't need the site to arrange models leave, and the ones that need it so badly they're willing to pay money stay.)

-Don

Sep 22 05 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Maria Tsardoulias wrote:

Being a member of the BBB is just buying yourself into the big boys club. Making you fairly untouchable for the most part against complaints.

Sep 22 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Don't know where you heard that from but it is wrong.

Sep 23 05 03:43 am Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

You'd learn more about the fashion/editorial industry on models.com in a week than you would in a year on all the other sites combined.  That for it's own sake might be worth it to you.

At 5'9", 130 lbs, and 22 your chances of getting signed by the types of agencies that use it for that purpose are, to be blunt, dismal.

Andy

Sep 23 05 08:13 am Link

Model

Amy Harber

Chicago, Illinois, US

Like I said, if you're a more commercial type or plus size or anything that isn't fashion or anywhere outside NYC, it's a waste of money

Sep 30 05 03:36 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Maria Tsardoulias wrote:

Modeling is a business...therefore it has certain heuristics (givens).  One is that networking is paramount!  That reason alone could make joining worth it.  I have NEVER heard of a model being signed ONLY because she joined a modeling site.  model.com has photographers other models and info...it that is what you are looking for...join.

PS...you need to think long and hard about what type of modeling you want to do.  While you a thinking.........think commercial/lifestyle.

Sep 30 05 09:50 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

NYC's fashion agencies addresses are NOT secret. Get the names and addresses and send in your photos that way.... use e-mail. Use regular mail. Go into a open call and meet them face to face!

Why spend a ton of money on a website when you can do it yourself?

Personally, I prefer knowing when and whom my stuff is being looked at.

I just think there are too many things that could go wrong on a "scouting" type website. One agency is particular swears they contacted me many times and got no answer from me. But, I never got contacted by them. (Obviously, this agent could be just saying that, or be mistaken. But they sure sound convincing wink hehe)

If what you are looking for is need agency information, I would be more then happy to email their contact info over to you. (just let me know if you are trying to go into fashion or commercial, sorry didn't look at your portfolio - and what market you are closest too. NYC, Paris, London, etc.)

And *I'LL* even send your pictures to them... for only $50.00 wink I know, you can do it yourself, but umm... I'll give you an e-mail account? wink lol

Good Luck!!! smile
Rachel

Oct 01 05 08:24 am Link