Forums > Critique > have a whack

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

They're not for everybody. I've heard what my friends have to say about them. Comments are welcome.

https://justinonimus.com/becky-fence1-sep-rs.jpg

https://justinonimus.com/becky-poolside1-rs.jpg

Sep 05 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Justin wrote:
They're not for everybody.

Geez, no one's said a word and you're rationalizing already. wink

#1 is drab.  Looks like you haven't adjusted levels or contrast.  #2 is better but the model is too small relative to the image.

Paul

Sep 05 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nice pictures Justin.

Technically, I agree with Paul's comment, but man, I'm tired. Sometimes, I just wanna look at pictures not as a photographer.

Sep 05 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Thank you, gents.

I did work on the first one and got it to where I wanted it to be before I posted it.

Based on Paul's input, I reworked it, but it's not posted because I didn't get what I wanted from it. That's the beauty of an image - different people will like different things, or get out what they want from it.

On the second one, I do appreciate the technical comments. Again, it's different appeals.

Geez, no one's said a word and you're rationalizing already. wink

True! The down side about doing just what you want to do is that it may not be impressive to others (especially when you have models who are looking for someone to make them be pretty, and that's not my style, obviously). The up side is that you're doing what you want to do.

The model in those shots is Becky (MM #4718). Thankfully, she enjoys the stuff that I like to do.  :-)

I had one that I really wanted to post here, but I didn't think that the rules allowed for any nudity. Now that I've uploaded it - it's here: https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=431d0e9c0b478

Thanks for the constructive comments!

Sep 05 05 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Joel Belmont

Rochester, Washington, US

I am a bit demanding when it comes to content, because 80% of all images seem to lack it.  With that said, here is my 2 cents.

The first one has the fence and her looking in that direction working for it, in that it is graphically strong, which is a good start.  Other than being a portrait for the model, it doesn't do anything for me.

The second image does not have any dominant feature, and the model seems arbitrarily placed, and consequently doesn't do anything for me.

But maybe you are just doing what works for you, and we each have our own thing.

Hope that helps.

~Joel

Sep 05 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

The second one would look great wall-sized, but it's too busy for a web image. Try a rose filter when you're shooting clouds in black and white.

Sep 05 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

i like the first image with the fence, at least as far as contrast, color is concerned.  i wish she wasnt wearing overalls, they look twice as wide as the model.

-isaac

Sep 13 05 12:44 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Nothing wrong with trying something new. I think both could use a bump on the exposure. While the whole scene is great to look at, everything is composed toward your subject which in this case is your model. Light her up some.

She's really small in #2, could've used some more help in trying to get her to stand out.

Sep 13 05 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Nothing wrong with trying something new. I think both could use a bump on the exposure. While the whole scene is great to look at, everything is composed toward your subject which in this case is your model. Light her up some.

She's really small in #2, could've used some more help in trying to get her to stand out.

Yep

Sep 13 05 03:03 am Link