Forums > Critique > Open to comments

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I have a potfolio up and I was seeking comments on the portfolio or any of the specific images.  I feel I am sometimes emotionaly or otherwise attracted to images and miss some fine details I might otherwise have noticed.  I also have a very thick skin.  smile

Sep 07 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Generally speaking, your port is top notch.  Keep it up.

Paul

Sep 07 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Great and varied control of light. It's amazing to me how many pros never vary very far from basic.

Sep 07 05 12:07 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
Generally speaking, your port is top notch.  Keep it up.

Paul

Wow, that was really nice Paul.

BTW: I think your port is good as well, Pro Shot.

Sep 07 05 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Wow, that was really nice Paul.

I post nice ones from time to time. wink

Paul

Sep 07 05 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Thank you Paul and Dawn - your making me feel special  LOL

Sep 07 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

I am just bringing this back to the top of the board for a second go around now the the board is more active, and the critiques flowing more easily.

Sep 15 05 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

glamourmedia

Dallas, Georgia, US

I love the experiments. I have to disagree that you control light. I think some are too close and too wide. WTF am I doing in this forum. Just trying to help.

Sep 15 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

glamourmedia

Dallas, Georgia, US

ps. I think Paul and I would disagree about everything.

Sep 15 05 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

first pic in port her eyes are rolling back stoner look or a siezer look 0.2$

Sep 16 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

glamourmedia wrote:
ps. I think Paul and I would disagree about everything.

I am real happy you use this thread to repoyour diagreeable nature.
smile

Sep 16 05 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

DragonFlyImage wrote:
first pic in port her eyes are rolling back stoner look or a siezer look 0.2$

Thanks now that you mention it - it is possibly true therefore not very flattering - This is what I mean by being too close to the work so see the obvious.  It slike if you had have been there, you might have a different idea LOL.

Anyway I removed the image in the best interest of the model and replaced it with one that still may not do her justice but at least it IS attractive.  smile

Thanks again

Sep 16 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

I keep posting about other peoples work - so I bump this regularly to give everyone a chance to get back at me smile

Sep 18 05 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

Can you please name or number your images so we can refer to them better?

I have a few comments for you.

Sep 22 05 02:08 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

ProShotPhoto wrote:
I have a potfolio up and I was seeking comments on the portfolio or any of the specific images.  I feel I am sometimes emotionaly or otherwise attracted to images and miss some fine details I might otherwise have noticed.  I also have a very thick skin.  smile

haha I sent you a message about this smile

Sep 22 05 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

David Nusbaum

Rochester, Minnesota, US

I looked at this early and didn't comment because the work is pretty good and I have a hard time providing a critique when the work is already better than my own. Having said that, you point out in another thread that you were still looking for critiques, so I'm back to look again.

The model in the green bikini: I think the pose works fairly well for her, but the shadows on the right side of her face are a little heavy for style and mood of this image.

The model in the pink underwear: Overall nice image, but two things catch my eye. First, her hand appears to be chopped off at the wrist, although I 'm sure is just depressed into the linen. Put something under there for her to rest her hand on so it won't sink so much. Second, the green planter parallels her arm so closely that you would think there is some relationshtip between the two. I'm not one for solide white backgrounds, but I think you need to avoid edges/lines working together this closely.

The model in the red dress by brick wall: Once again, I like shadows a lot but I don't think this adds to the mood of the shot. The strength of the shadow simply looks like a lot of contrast from being out in the bright afternoon sun.

The model in the pink dress with blowing hair: I love the sense of motion and the light from behind her. The small area of light blue clothing in the bottom left doesn't enhance the mood set by the colors in the rest of the image.

Nice work, so I picked on small details. Hope that's what you were after...

Sep 22 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

I wish people would be more specific as to what their portfolio is for, I think it would help people make comments.  Anyway, you are clearly someone who knows how to shoot, about composition and lighting.  So comments here come in that context, that your work is good, I'm gonna nitpick.  Depsite my portfolio direction, I actually admire clean work.  But the devil is in the details.  If you're gonna do a realistic style then things like background objects emerging from the head or body parts are jarring (vs. like a suicide girls series where everything is jarring).

So first shot green bikini girl.  I don't like the foot behind her leg.  I'd position such that more leg shows or foot doesn't.  Lighting on side of face are too stark for this clean a shot.

Striped bikini girl has super red eyes, like she's either been crying or smoked too many bowls.  Given the look on her face, I'd guess too many bowls.

Pink lingerie girl with flowing backlit scarf...here's where I'm picky about not mixing emotions.  On one hand, the shot is clean, her face clear, madeup, wind blowing, etc.  And then on the side of the shot I see a seam line and nails on the wall suggesting industrial.  But it's not enough industrial to say it so, it just detracts my eye from the flow.

Fuzzy black bikini girl arms against the wall...ok I know the bikini is fuzzy, but the way that bottom part is sticking out either looks like she's got a large amount of pubic hair or an erection.  Either possibility is distracting to me.

Girl in doorway shot...strange pose to me.  Looks like she's got gas.  And I don't like how the background infomation is running through her...there's a pipe that runs into her arm and beneath her crotch is other info I don't want to see.

Girl with knee to chin...too much screen filter or whatever used to fuzz out the shot.  It's not grainy enough to generate an atmosphere for me but grainy enough to make me squint.  And that green thing on the side of the shot should either have been cropped out in shooting or photoshopped out.

Girl in 70's wood panel room....too much into behind her.  And what's with the soft focus and wrinkled clothes?  The rest of your port has a very intentional look to it and this looks snapshotty but not in a richardson kinda way.

Girl in blue dress with jewelry....there seems something out of balance on that shot to me.  Like I either want it to go softer, or have more of her facial features and less of her hair in focus.

Girl against brick wall shot....I love shadows.  But it seems to me best used when the rest of the shot says "hey this is not reality."  Your shot here says to me, lovely girl against wall.   I don't want to see these kind of shadows in those sort of shots.

Okay, that's it'  Nitpicking done.  Again, none of these go to your skill as a photographer, more just fine details to think about, discount, whatever!

Sep 22 05 04:56 pm Link

Model

dirtbikesctt

Houston, Texas, US

hey MM im fairly new to this, and im looking for any kind of comments. it's hard getting work for men. check out my pics and tell me what you think.

Sep 22 05 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

David Nusbaum and KM von Seidl

Thanks for your comments many things pointed out which many others ignored or simply did not see.

The only way to improve in this craft or art or business is to get these kinds of diverse comments from others.

I also learn a lot by reviewing others work as my own criticisms are usually coming from my own experience or problem with various issues.

so thanks again for taking the time to help me out - that in itself is a compliment.

Sep 22 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dirtbikesctt wrote:
hey MM im fairly new to this, and im looking for any kind of comments. it's hard getting work for men. check out my pics and tell me what you think.

DOOOOOD! You're like way off topic here.  (on the downlow...High 5!) heheheh.

*ahem*

ProShot...outstanding work man. Love the chick's look in your Avatar.

Sep 22 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bryce Symonds

Bradenton, Florida, US

Yep...
I agree, they are good.  Your dramatic use of light in a couple of them would lend them to being reduced to black and white.  I think you could get some great variations that way.  Just remember when you kill the saturation bring up the brightness and contrast just a hair.
Nice work

Sep 23 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

r2c3: The model is pretty; the shot's a dog. Too hot on the whites. Skin technique was a lot off considering you've done well on the majority of your pix.

r4c2: The crop is weird and I like it. Subjective yes but it comes off intimate and somewhat sultry.

r5c1: You have captured this lady's piercing eyes. Nice softness to the pose and falloff. I would have preferred a darker ambiance.

Sep 24 05 07:58 pm Link