Forums > Critique > Looking for a critique!

Photographer

tmaphoto

Santa Monica, California, US

Please check out my "robot" shot and tell me what you think.  I feel like it's missing something... but can't quite figure it out.

Sep 08 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I have an immediate negative reaction to selective desaturation.  I think what you're missing is skin color.  Maybe if you made the skin look more like brushed steel or plastic...

Sep 08 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

UneekArts

Wadesboro, North Carolina, US

I think it needs some color in her top (above and around her boobs) and maybe some shreds or streaks of color in the wall behind her for balance. It's a nice shot by the way. Do you mind providing details on how you did it.

Sep 08 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

tmaphoto

Brian Diaz wrote:
I have an immediate negative reaction to selective desaturation.  I think what you're missing is skin color.  Maybe if you made the skin look more like brushed steel or plastic...

Hey Brian,

Yeah, that's what I can't figure out.  My attempt was to make the body look like plates of metal (there is texture on the skin, but it's very subtle).  I thought about boosting the contrast to give the illusion of shiny metal.  I tried adding a tint of color but it just looked wrong.   Thanks for the input - just reaffirms what I feared smile

Sep 08 05 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I did notice the subtle texture, but I think you should go farther with it. smile

Sep 08 05 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

tmaphoto

UneekArts wrote:
I think it needs some color in her top (above and around her boobs) and maybe some shreds or streaks of color in the wall behind her for balance. It's a nice shot by the way. Do you mind providing details on how you did it.

I've already decided to put some color behind her.  Not sure about the skin color though.  And thanks for the compliment... the original shot was just of her against a blank wall.  I basically deconstructed everything and used bluring, texture, and shadows for the "plates" of skin.  The only color that is original is some of her hair.

Sep 08 05 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Stan Goldstein

New York, New York, US

The face looks too real.  For openers, you need to show articulation lines for the lower jaw.

Sep 08 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I would give her a red french manicure, get some color in the background and add a little to the skin. Try a layer of a gold color and just blend it way back to like 15%.

I wouldn't mind playing with that pic.. If you want to email it to me as well as the original. It's not my style but I'm curious what I would come up with.

Mike
[email protected]

Sep 08 05 11:56 pm Link