Forums > Model Colloquy > model search america

Model

Cate

Stanford, California, US

anyone gone to one of their events before?  what's it like?  is it worth it?  how selective are they?

Sep 14 05 02:54 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

One word: SCAM

Please be careful of companies like this.

Sep 14 05 05:57 pm Link

Model

Cate

Stanford, California, US

really?  but I thought Model Search America was pretty renowned.

Sep 14 05 07:11 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Always, ALWAYS do a Google search for the full name plus the word "scam".

THAT was fast.

MSA Showcase aka MSAShowcase aka Model Search America Showcase:

The owner of Model Search America worked and/or works and/or tried to hire the worst modeling scam artist in U.S. history, Alec Defrawy, the child abuser and convicted criminal. Anyone who associates with a convicted criminal and internet scam artist like Defrawy and solicits his help is either running a scam and/or is of such low moral character they don't care how many people he has already scammed and abused. msashowcase.com is registered in the name of Rick Troost, who has associated with Alec Defrawy in the past, and has lied about his involvement with the child abuser and sexual harasser, because he is more interested in money than anything else.

Okay, so that sounds a bit biased.  BUT--

BBB Record:
http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessrepor … x?id=35940

Consumer complaints:
http://www.modelingscams.com/letters.mo … erica.html

Review:
http://www.modelingadvice.com/ModelSearch.html

Run far, far away!

Sep 15 05 01:29 am Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

Went when I was 12. Scam

Proscout's a Scam too.

If you go to a hotel and are asked to pay $300, it's a scam.

Sep 15 05 11:55 am Link

Model

Cate

Stanford, California, US

Oh God.

Sep 15 05 02:24 pm Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Cate wrote:
Oh God.

God didn't have anything to do with it....

Sep 15 05 02:31 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

SindelChaos wrote:
Went when I was 12. Scam

Proscout's a Scam too.

If you go to a hotel and are asked to pay $300, it's a scam.

I went thru proscout too. Unfortunatly I was 16, and my parents got me the 1200 photoshoot. And I did it, recieved the prints/negatives almost 4-5 months later but never got the CD of images like I was told, and I haven't heard from them since...
My dad and I want to go to one of the "open calls" and sit in the back and listen... when they ask if anybody has questions then we want to confront them about their scamming in front of the other aspiring models.
~!*Kemara*!~

Sep 15 05 06:04 pm Link

Model

ashleyxo

Vista, California, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:

God didn't have anything to do with it....

hahah

Sep 15 05 06:07 pm Link

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

nope, but I went to John Casablancas modeling & career center. Yes, they helped me soo much on learning about the industry.. but the photographer sucked. Check out my photos that say "John Cassablancas shoot". They have an agency, too. MTM...

I do NOT want to use the photos I got for my composite card. I like the formal one, and the golfing one. That's about it. Some of the shots with the green shirt turned out ok.

Sep 15 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Here's a small list of model search/model school scams to avoid:

John Robert Powers - John Casablancas - (IMTA) International Model & Talent Association - Model Search America - Proscout - Barbizon.  They are all well schooled and practiced at removing 100's and even 1000's of dollars from those who know little or nothing of the industry.  They promise superstardom and guarentee nothing, and almost always deliver on their guarentee... wink

Sep 15 05 06:34 pm Link

Model

George Caban

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

OH MAN SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!! sorry they are just a big fat fake. Select I think you got most of the biggest ones listed... there are sooooooo many fake "conventions" out there

Sep 15 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I did John Casablanca's as a teen... total waste of time and money.  Sure, they actually have somewhat of an agency, but all the best gigs get landed by the instructors!

They did teach me how to pluck my eyebrows though. wink

The photographer I had was awful, too.  He would scream POSE, POSE, POSE and if you didn't have something new and fabulous every click (even the very first time we shot together), the dude had a total fit.  Not what I'd call ... comfortable to work with.

Sep 15 05 11:22 pm Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

LOL..scam scam scam

Sep 15 05 11:23 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

Kemara wrote:
I went thru proscout too. Unfortunatly I was 16, and my parents got me the 1200 photoshoot. And I did it, recieved the prints/negatives almost 4-5 months later but never got the CD of images like I was told, and I haven't heard from them since...
My dad and I want to go to one of the "open calls" and sit in the back and listen... when they ask if anybody has questions then we want to confront them about their scamming in front of the other aspiring models.
~!*Kemara*!~

Sorry to hear about that, it would be awesome if you did go and do that.  I'd laugh my ass off, then you can come back and tell everyone here about it.

Sep 16 05 12:19 am Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Zabrena wrote:
One word: SCAM

Please be careful of companies like this.

amen to that...

they make millions off of thousands of models that pay like $700 each and pick maybe 12.

Nov 05 05 10:17 pm Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Cate wrote:
anyone gone to one of their events before?  what's it like?  is it worth it?  how selective are they?

I got roped in when I was 13. My family paid loads for the shoot and the convention at the end where all of the models walked the runway in front of agencies such as elite, ford, gilaroos etc. Leslie Bibb was even there to give it that legitimate feel. I got chosen by elite chicago but nothing ever came of it. It's a very elaborately orchestrated scam. Stay away, they'll financially drain you and leave you with false hopes.

Nov 06 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

You're better off sending in headshots to licensed agencies in your area. It's a lot cheaper (than the various "schools" listed in this thread), and much more likely to get you work.

Nov 06 05 11:06 pm Link