Forums > Critique > Building Port...Feedback on what works/dont please

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Im working on a portfolio. Any feedback from Photographers on what works and what dont for me would be GREATLY appreciated. ONLY honest answers please. Thank you for your help

Sep 15 05 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

you have some really top notch work in your book, but you also have some that need to go- I've always felt that people tend to only remember the weakest shot that they see and it's better to make sure that the weakest one isn't all that bad.

so here's what I'd do... going in order, left to right starting from the top, I'd edit out #'s 1,3,4,5,9,11,12,17.  Some are for technical/compositional reasons, others are because you have images that serve the same purpose already. 

best-
Justin

Sep 15 05 09:30 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Thank you for your reply! smile

Sep 15 05 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

glamourmedia

Dallas, Georgia, US

Melissa,

You have a great face. All of you head and shoulder shots are great no real need to put hair in front. I would bet that your fav is "By C B", maybe not, who knows? Find someone that can help you learn how to pose for the 3/4 and full length shots they do not do you justice.

Glamour Media

Sep 15 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You look pretty good.  Why don't you come to Columbus for a studio shoot with me?

Paul

Sep 15 05 10:17 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Gotta love CB.... He does very nice work. I hope to work with him again. Thanks for the response, I appreciate the feedback!!! smile

Sep 15 05 10:18 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Mr Ferrara,
Sent you an email.

Sep 15 05 10:23 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

I need some more feedback please.Thanks

Sep 16 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I think my theme on the critique board, until I get bored, is that photos by photographers should show what good photographers they are and and model pics should show the model.  First, you are stunning.  And you have some very nice photos.  But I would not bother with "Taken by Arcanum Sept 2005" because, while it is a good photo, reveals almost nothing about YOU.  Same for the next one, untitled.  Good as a photo, no information about the model.  "Arcanum Studios" shows you have a good mouth but not much else, another photo could show your mouth and whole face.  "By Christian Behr" is just not very flattering. The others are good.  Each shows something.  The first one shows potentially interesting collarbone structure and suggests perfect breasts.  Etc.  Decide what features you want to show and get a photo that shows that. For example, no photo shows your back.  Is it well-muscled?  Maybe you don't like your back, so skip that. If you do, include something.  No pictures of your legs really.  And no full length body shot. But you're gorgeous so you should have people eager to photograph you.

Sep 16 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

i would like to see more full shots.

you have such an amazing face, use it... do something really cool with a great makeup artist. flip through Zink magazine youll see what im talking about.

while your in columbus stop on by my studio and lets shoot!

Sep 16 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

I second: you have an amazing face!

--One shot per outfit or setup, please.  (I'm in violation of that code but hope to have a much different looking port myself by winter).

--You have a tear sheet: that's your avatar for a little while until your own critical facility knows which pics are doing you the most good.

--Wide hips: why front to the camera?

Moms pretty good.

Cut your portfolio by 25 to 50 percent and see where that leaves you.  You're going to have stronger and stronger shots as you move along, so don't worry about giving up some material.

--Jim

Sep 16 05 05:09 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Thank you everyone for the critiques. I find the information very helpful from all of you. I will check back just in case someone else decides to add more. In the near future I will be having some additional shoots and will try to incorporate your ideas and suggestions to be able to improve my portfolio.
Thanks again for your help it is appreciated
Melissa
p.s. Jim my mom smiled and said to tell you thanks when she seen your "mom comment"... smile She loves photographry and hopes soemday to be able to learn.

Sep 16 05 05:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

All in all, a strong portfolio.
I would get rid of the catalog shot.  It is cheesy in a "I just won an award" sort of way.  Put this in your credits.
I would get rid of any of the shots that your Mom took.  They are snapshots and make you look amateur. 
If you are serious about a modeling career, you want to put your most professional foot forward.  Would you put snapshots that your Mom took in a portfolio you were taking to a go see at Elite?  Then don't put them here.  It is not always best to take the more is better approach when displaying your work.
I think you have a good chance of making a career out of modeling.
Good luck to you and I would definately make it a point of working with Paul and Nicholson photography.

Sep 16 05 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

YOu are gorgeous - ou have some wonderfull shot but like someone else said you need to weed some of the weaker ones out and add some new ones.  Work with some wild MUAs and different phtoographers and add some electricity, an edge to the portfolio.

Sep 16 05 08:41 pm Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Thanks for all your suggestions!  smile

Sep 16 05 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Cutler

Los Angeles, California, US

Melissa, you are a very pretty young lady.  I would love the opportunity to photograph you, but you are in OH and I'm in CA.  OK, here are my opinions on your port.

1.  The first row is good, especially Pena's shot.  Weakest shot for me is the hair over the eyes.  Something about it bothers me.

2.  2nd Row.  Bridal shot is strongest.  3rd shot taken by your mother isn't really bad, it just lacks punch.  I fixed it for you, so if you want to see it, message me here with your e-mail address.  Last shot in the row, the backlighting overwhelms you.

3.  3rd Row.  First shot is nice, but needs some punch.  Third shot also needs punch.

4.  4th Row.  I'm sorry, but I don't think the second shot is good.  It makes you look a little heavy because of the straight on angle.  Also the backlight I find distracting.

Well, those are my opinions.  I hope that they help.  I really doubt if you will have any trouble finding photographers to shoot you.  Wish you well.

Take care,
Wayne M. Cutler

Sep 19 05 04:36 am Link

Model

MelissaBaker

New York, New York, US

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I took out some of the ones that was suggested. Any other help would be appreciated.  smile

Sep 23 05 07:55 pm Link