Forums > Critique > I need constructive imput.

Photographer

Shades of Ray

Portland, Oregon, US

I would like some helpful input on how to make my portfolio better. What to improve on and what works the best in my shots. If you are a professional would my work get me hired? Tell me what I need to know please.

Thank you all for your time.

Sep 16 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Shades of Ray wrote:
I would like some helpful imput on how to make my portfolio better. What to improve on and what works the best in my shots. If you are a professional would my work get me hired? Tell me what I need to know. I don't just want another "thats cool" or "that was beautiful" comment. I want to know if these photos will make me money or that I am on my way to making some money someday.

Thanks.

If you are only interested in making money, I guess the question for you is who do you want to pay you for your work.  Once you figure that out then you should have a portfolio that demonstrates the skills needed for those clients as well as images that are reflective of what kind of work that client would need.

Sep 17 05 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Spelling troll:  should be "input"...

These photos probably won't make you any money.  But on the other hand the experience you gained shooting them is worth the time investment. 

Personally, I'd say your work has some good shots, but you should work on your chops more.   Your lighting could use some work, and the colors are a bit weak (Your avatar and the "desire" one stand out as your best color work).

Sep 17 05 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I beg to differ.
Granted, your "vision", for lack of better word, could use some development, i.e., the "I'm so sad I've got my head between my knees" shot won't even pass in most photo schools anymore because it's the contemporary equivelant of the wagon wheel circa 1975, or the railroad tracks circa 1994.
It's played.
BUT...
The mood is there.
Look at the new Communication Arts.
You're "Chops" are secondary.
Vision is most important.
The days of the shooter who walks in and pushes a button are gone.
Digital has made everyone a "pro".
What I mean is, with a small amount of cash upfront, anyone can be technically proficient... but really, the tech side has NEVER been that hard.
But who fucking cares?
Most AD's now want to hire shooters who can serve as Art Director as well...
And I think you're on the right track.
It takes more than tech...
It takes a little vision.
So fuck everyone else.
Develop your vision...
What do you want to say?
Figure that out, because that's what matters.
Not wether or not you're lighting and color is perfect...
You can hire some geek to fix that for you.

Sep 17 05 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

BLV:  Your language is loaded with anger and frustration.

Vision is great, but certainly there is nothing wrong with learning more about craft and technique. 

May the gods bless us with both...

Sep 17 05 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Anger & frustration?
Nahhh...
Just some dirtbag callin' it as he sees it.

Sep 17 05 05:51 am Link