Forums > Critique > Looking for feedback want to advance

Photographer

Mark Kidman

Logan, Utah, US

I want to advance my work to a new level. Any suggestions would greatly desired!

Sep 21 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Mark Kidman wrote:
I want to advance my work to a new level. Any suggestions would greatly desired!

To MY EYE - you have some great images - I cannot tell you to do something different when taking the picture.  Many of them are quite dramatic in the sense you have dramatic backgrounds such as very interesting skys and cloud formations.  I was impressed with the image but felt there could be more there.  So I took a few images copied them into Photoshop and asked the program to autocorrect them.  This auto correct feature adjusts the white - color balance and adjusts contrast.  When this is applied the images come to life - or to a greater degree than you have presented them.  I admit i like dramatic mages - and yours are dramatic but a little soft.  Try working on your post processing skills to take these sots to anew level.

Sep 21 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Mark Kidman wrote:

You already have a bunch of commercial credits in your about you section. I assume you have tears?

S0, what is the next level you want to reach?

What kind of work would you rather being doing?

Sep 21 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Koke

Bodrum, Muğla, Turkey

You seem to know what you're doing. Very good work. I can only say focus on a single style. All the different shots show your versatility but it's all across the board. Figure nude to action shot. You seem to get good results with the outdoorsy shoots.

Sep 22 05 02:21 am Link

Photographer

Mark Kidman

Logan, Utah, US

Thank You for your comments! I am drawn to the dramatic backgrounds due to the losses in my life. The death of my parrents and a controling marriage that ended in divorce.  I am looking for a particular stlye so you are right I am shooting many different things looking for a place to land. I would like to become more involved in editorial work mainly location.  I am being drawn to b&w nudes in these dramtic scenes and fashion work in a similar matter.   I would like to get my name out to the public I know we all want this! I am impressed with your B&W KM! I worked as a printer for fleshtone for several years while in LA.

Sep 23 05 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Cash flow, control, and versatility provide you with the luxury of first exploring some options and then choosing a noncommercial fine arts path.  As you get inside that process, you'll encounter what editors, producers, and theater owners, lol, deal with as a matter of course: where are you going to commit time and money, and how much for how long?

Nothing's wrong with a healthy pot pourri, but however you do your "in-house proposals", work up a few coffee table book or gallery show ideas and see how they fit with your inclinations and resources.  In a deliberate rather than haphazard way, sell yourself on a commitment to a volume of work consistent in subject interest and style.  (The methodology must be original; the theme entertaining or important, preferably both; the service provided by publication appreciable).

Sep 23 05 04:52 pm Link