Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > I'm not Duckie.....

Photographer

- null -

I was buying a birthday card for my friends twin boys today and the clerk asked me if I was an actor.

I laughed at him, "What? Noooooo. I'm not an actor. I'm a photographer."

"You look just like a famous actor ... Oh, I can't think of his name but I saw a movie with him just last night."

I sighed, "Yeah. Let me guess. Jon Cryer? Duckie from Pretty In Pink?"

"Yeah! That's it! You look like Jon Cryer."

"I know. I get that a lot."

Can't blame the guy. This is Los Angeles. If you live in Iowa and see a guy who looks like Bruce Willis, well, it's just a guy who looks like Bruce Willis. In Los Angeles, it might actually BE Bruce Willis. Hell, in the same shopping mall where this guy thought I was Jon Cryer, I saw Justine Bateman in the grocery store.

For the record, I'm not Duckie.

This is Duckie:
https://www.riverblue.com/hughes/duckiebw.jpg

This is me:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/4265e11735b79.jpg

May 10 05 01:13 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

It's probably the shoes.

Everyone, raise your hand if you think Duckie should have gotten the girl!

May 10 05 01:22 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Yes, Theda - Duckie should've gotten the girl.

May 10 05 06:47 am Link

Photographer

MRP-Photography

Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

hmmm...well...the affinity is astounding.

May 10 05 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Posted by EricMuss-Barnes: 
Hell, in the same shopping mall where this guy thought I was Jon Cryer, I saw Justine Bateman in the grocery store.

How do you know it wasn't someone who gets mistaken for Justine Bateman all the time?  LOL

May 10 05 10:20 am Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

An acquaintance of mine was married to Jon Cryer for a while.  I always wanted to ask him about the original ending of "Pretty in Pink" (which was re-shot to appease test audiences), but now that they're divorced, I guess I've missed my chance.  Sigh.

May 10 05 10:35 am Link

Model

Jenni

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wow, you really do look like him.

May 10 05 11:01 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Saint John: 
An acquaintance of mine was married to Jon Cryer for a while.  I always wanted to ask him about the original ending of "Pretty in Pink" (which was re-shot to appease test audiences), but now that they're divorced, I guess I've missed my chance.  Sigh.

Those test audiences were fools. There was an issue with the classist message of the original ending. Consequently, John Hughes re-did the film as "Some Kind of Wonderful" and everyone was poor.

I am still pro-Duckie.

May 10 05 11:45 am Link

Model

DIVIANA DEVOUR

San Juan, Puerto Rico, US

Yes I think so he has a charm and cuteness to him. Not to mention personality.

May 10 05 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Saint John: 

FYI -
The original ending had Andie ending up with Duckie, but the film was changed after test audiences (and Ringwald herself) would have preferred to see her with Blaine. Plus Hughes didn't want to convey the idea that rich people and poor people can't be together. (Not to mention Molly was a little out of it in the original filming due to the flu.)
When all the principal actors were requested back to the set to reshoot the ending, Andrew McCarthy had already shaved his head and lost a substantial amount of weight for his role in a New York play ("The Boys of Winter"). He wore an auburn wig for the shoot, but still appears much thinner.

May 10 05 03:17 pm Link

Model

eric

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

She should have slept with James Spader.

May 10 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by  ERIC STRIFFLER: 
She should have slept with James Spader.

Now that's just sick.

I kind of like it...

May 10 05 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Ty, Theda - I really appreciate the information/clarification.  I never expected MM to enable my 80s addiction.  Thanks!

May 10 05 09:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Dont feel bad my cousin used to look EXACTLY like him, and this was back in the 80s, so you can imagine how much he got that..

May 10 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by Printmakeup: 
Dont feel bad my cousin used to look EXACTLY like him, and this was back in the 80s, so you can imagine how much he got that..

Who said I felt bad?

I look like a cute, well-loved character from a great 80s movie?

That rocks.

May 10 05 10:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Printmakeup: 

So in other words, he got lots of play?

May 11 05 12:27 am Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

LMAO ... Thinkin Eric might be Jon Cryer in disguise. I mean has he done anything since project X? And funny you should mention Bruce Willis. And Theda's comment about him getting the girl.

He got Demi Moore for a little while in the movie No Small Affair. Which just happens to be my favorite photography related movie. Made me want to REALLY be a photographer, move to Milan (Which I didnt do) and move to San Francisco which I DID do. TWICE... LOL

May 17 05 11:28 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by DJ Foothill: 
LMAO ... Thinkin Eric might be Jon Cryer in disguise. I mean has he done anything since project X? And funny you should mention Bruce Willis. And Theda's comment about him getting the girl.

He got Demi Moore for a little while in the movie No Small Affair. Which just happens to be my favorite photography related movie. Made me want to REALLY be a photographer, move to Milan (Which I didnt do) and move to San Francisco which I DID do. TWICE... LOL

I had a crush on Do-Me-More, er, Demi Moore for years.

I forgot about that movie. Which is funny, since I'm actually in it. That's because Jon Cryer is my personal celebrity impersonator.

May 17 05 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I used to work with Ann Cusack in Chicago,  and John and Joan would come into the bar and drink from time to time.
This was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away,  And princess laya was not saved,  and Darth Vader still lives in the Frozen hell known as Chicago.

Do not get me started on Danae-the one and the same from Mythology.

And Duckie should have realized that there was a girl who was in love with him and at least gotten a piece of that with a night of drinking and lust.

May 17 05 09:43 pm Link