Forums > Model Colloquy > What makes you want to model?

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Money?
Attention?
People always told you you were pretty?
Wanting to make art?
Perceived status?
Celebrity in your own pond?
Money?

I read a statistic from a study conducted, asking young girls, young women what they wanted to be when they grew up.  Most said model, hip hop singer, actress etc.  So we know as young people there's a huge imprint on girls that being a model is something good to aspire to.

but beyond the rose colored glasses of childhood, what motivates the adult women on this site to want to be a model?

Sep 24 05 03:45 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Vanity.

Sep 24 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

theda wrote:
Vanity.

my favorite sin...

Sep 24 05 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

theda wrote:
Vanity.

As in conceit vs prince's ex squeeze.

Sep 24 05 04:06 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

It happened by accident, but I continue deliberately for a multitude of reasons.  I love being part of the creation of art.  I love having pretty pictures of myself.  I got sick of never seeing a positive portrayal of a fat person, and decided to start creating what I couldn't find. 

And, of course, because if this weren't the case I wouldn't keep doing it - it's fun!

Sep 24 05 04:39 pm Link

Model

avie

New York, New York, US

Modeling is creating art, beauty and fantasy. After a shoot you fantasize about the high you got from moving in front of the camera and lights. Night falls. Make up comes off. Another day- pay bills. clean the litter box, vacuum.... yet still trying to remember the feeling  of the experience of re-creating yourself the day before. Thanks to the photographer, MUA and anyone else involved to make it happen, you dream of the next time....and eat a salad instaed of a cookie!

Sep 24 05 07:13 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Actually, there were a few times when I was walking around NY where some guys would walk up to me claiming that they're model agents. So I said, why not, I'll give it a try.

I figured it's not the modeling that I like. It's the experience that comes with every shoot and the various people you meet. I've met and talked to more photographers than I've shoot with. Well, I've only shot with three. Modeling is an art that gives you a chance to learn something new each and every time. It's also something that can make you look and feel very beautiful for once.

I didn't want to be a model is still don't consider myself one. I don't have enough experience. It's trial and error, and experience. (I actually want to be a forensic psychologist and a genecist.)

Sep 24 05 07:24 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Money?
Attention?
Wanting to make art?
Perceived status?
Money?

I read a statistic from a study conducted, asking young girls, young women what they wanted to be when they grew up.  Most said model, hip hop singer, actress etc.  So we know as young people there's a huge imprint on girls that being a model is something good to aspire to.

but beyond the rose colored glasses of childhood, what motivates the adult women on this site to want to be a model?

Well fashion is one of the main reasons that make me want to model. As well as the art of it all, Oh yeah and the ambition of becoming a sucess and making money ...thats always nice.

Sep 24 05 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Shyly wrote:
It happened by accident, but I continue deliberately for a multitude of reasons.  I love being part of the creation of art.  I love having pretty pictures of myself.  I got sick of never seeing a positive portrayal of a fat person, and decided to start creating what I couldn't find. 

And, of course, because if this weren't the case I wouldn't keep doing it - it's fun!

that totally makes sense Shyly!

Sep 24 05 07:37 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Shyly wrote:

Shy, you're a rare breed and you know I love you all the more for it ^^

I started out while at uni studying photography, just working with other artists I knew, I'd model for them, they'd model for me, it was a fair exchange of creative people with similar interests.  Then delusions of karmic reimbursement (ie; appreciating the generosity of people I'd shot) entered my head - after which I realised it was little more than a learning opportunity for me as a photographer.  I got robbed, my gear got stolen, I put modeling cash towards replacing it when possible.  Now I can bitch, I mean EMPATHIZE about issues on both sides of the lens/fence - although I like to think I'm doing something which yields more positive results for all involved....  Which, in all fairness, could just be another delusion in and of itself wink

Sep 24 05 08:23 pm Link

Model

is deleted

Victorville, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Money?
Attention?
Wanting to make art?
Perceived status?
Money?

Beauty. Fame. Attention.
I know I'm just starting out but modeling/acting is something I've always wanted.
I hate when you here about celebrities complaining about people always wanting to take their pictures and wanting to be them, I'd give up everything to have people want to know everything about me.

Sep 24 05 08:36 pm Link

Model

Praxis

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Bianca Martinez wrote:

Beauty. Fame. Attention.
I know I'm just starting out but modeling/acting is something I've always wanted.
I hate when you here about celebrities complaining about people always wanting to take their pictures and wanting to be them, I'd give up everything to have people want to know everything about me.

you should invest in a stalker with a big mouth then :p

Sep 24 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i model because i am the best damn looking man i know...hell, if i were a chic, i would marry me.

Sep 24 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

Boy, I am sure glad you added that caveat "Adult Women" beause I was concerned when I read the topic.  I didn't want to answer.

I suppose I could start a corrolary topic though:  "Why it is smart that I have never modeled!"

Sep 24 05 10:29 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Vanity.  BUT, also for much more: 
1. Capturing my youth.  Having really strong images that record who I was and what I once looked like, dressed like, and the attitude I conveyed when I was young and a little less jaded.
2. Becoming someone else.  Being an alt. model, I often try on different characters that I normally wouldn't in real life.
3.  Creating art that is lasting and beautiful.  Though it may only comprise a few of my images, it's very cool to be the subject of something that might be meaningful and treaures one day to someone I've never even met.

and, on a much smaller note, i have a damned awesome wardrobe and I'd be awfully sad if I paid all that money on custom clothes and never had good photos taken of them, lol.

Sep 24 05 11:34 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Well, laos want my no-talent ass to contribute to art in so much as it can, but that's really vanity too.

Sep 25 05 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Stevn De Lozada

Antioch, California, US

avie wrote:
Modeling is creating art, beauty and fantasy. After a shoot you fantasize about the high you got from moving in front of the camera and lights. Night falls. Make up comes off. Another day- pay bills. clean the litter box, vacuum.... yet still trying to remember the feeling  of the experience of re-creating yourself the day before. Thanks to the photographer, MUA and anyone else involved to make it happen, you dream of the next time....and eat a salad instaed of a cookie!

Wow, what a beutiful picture you painted, I'm saving this, what a beautiful mind...

Stevn

Sep 25 05 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

theda wrote:
Well, laos want my no-talent ass to contribute to art in so much as it can, but that's really vanity too.

A+ for honesty!

Sep 25 05 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Stevn De Lozada

Antioch, California, US

Fyre1704 wrote:
Actually, there were a few times when I was walking around NY where some guys would walk up to me claiming that they're model agents. So I said, why not, I'll give it a try.

I figured it's not the modeling that I like. It's the experience that comes with every shoot and the various people you meet. I've met and talked to more photographers than I've shoot with. Well, I've only shot with three. Modeling is an art that gives you a chance to learn something new each and every time. It's also something that can make you look and feel very beautiful for once.

I didn't want to be a model is still don't consider myself one. I don't have enough experience. It's trial and error, and experience. (I actually want to be a forensic psychologist and a genecist.)

Yea, me too...

Sep 25 05 01:42 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

I model because I am beautiful.  Because I get fed.  I get the attention.

Oh wait...wrong forum, I thought it was the fantasy forum.  smile  Jager rocks!

But I am cute and funny.  Hee hee.

Sep 25 05 02:12 am Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

Ego.

I felt that i was beautiful, but ignored so i went o a modelcall and they liked me. sadly, i got taken for a ride by them but i figure since i can't get another job, and since i like playing dress up and all that jazz, why not?

too bad i don't fit the local market.

Sep 25 05 05:01 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

i do it cause its always been my dream to be in front of a camera whether it be acting or modeling.  i honestly dont think im all that good looking, but i know that i have a look that is marketable.  and i know i can act. 

i actually just got done filming a short yesterday!  off to the big apple in an hour!!!  first time in 10 years!!!!!!

Sep 25 05 05:18 am Link

Model

Mz Nova

Portland, Oregon, US

rock on, good luck!

Sep 25 05 05:23 am Link