Forums > Model Colloquy > Tampon Preferences?

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

simplyred wrote:

Really?  I was under the impression that "plus" was an industry term.  That's the category I fit into and the phrase I embrace.  Although I do prefer the term "reality-sized" better.  The one phrase that I detest is "full-figured."

A lot of the reality-sized women I shoot, I shoot because it makes them feel sexy and attractive and confident (and they're willing to sign stock model releases, ha ha), but they don't consider themselves models. They're in that borderline place where they are confident and proud of the way they look but are still reluctant to embrace the "Plus size" title. They want to feel like they look good, period-- not like they look good for their size. It's a curious thing.

Personally, I consider myself "Well-rounded." wink I still have 50 pounds of pregnancy weight.. And my daughter turned two in July. There's a reason I stay BEHIND the camera.. big_smile

Sep 30 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

41. tongue

Sep 30 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Fyre1704 wrote:
you shouldn't get scented tampons. There are research that shows that scented tampons causes yeast infection. However, some research claims that Tampex scented tampons are made specifically for women.

And other brands are made for ....................

Oct 01 05 03:05 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Gee I thought you could fix anything with Duct Tape?

Sorry I just could not resist....

Oct 01 05 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

William Kious wrote:
Seriously.  If a woman doesn't have the good sense to be prepared and her period starts during a shoot, she can fend for herself.

sometimes your period comes a week in advance and many women don't even have a stable day on which it comes. if i told you that i was going to sneak up on you on a saturday and punch you in the head, would you wear a helmet monday-friday? i assume you wouldn't, so i'd just surprise you on wednesday during a business meeting with a solid, swift punch in the head. you were too busy with your life to think about bringing the first aid kit, so now you're skull is bleeding and your coworkers just say, "well, we DO need you, but you know, you should have seen that coming, so too bad."
so clearly, i like analogies at 3 am.

you need the model to be alright for the shoot just as much as she does. plus, how hard is it to buy a pack of tampons for a few bucks that will probably just sit in a cabinet for months? you probably won't ever have to refill.

Oct 01 05 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

holy crap, the more i read this thread, the more i want to say to all of the gentlemen: you can't imagine what it's like and you really have no idea.
i don't care what kind of period your wife has, i'm sure she doesn't always fill you in on it and all women are different.
most men act like it's so easily predictable and easily taken care of. accidents happen, deal with it. it's not as simple as just keeping your tampons in stock. life is hectic at times and guess what, tampons are not your first priority especially when you're not expecting your period, so god forbid you forgot to put one in your bag for emergencies.

Oct 01 05 05:23 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BCG wrote:
Q: what does visene and a tampon have in common?

A: they both get the red out.

How does a midget model walk during her period?

She doesn't. She trips all over the strings.

*ducks*

Anyhow, I've got daughters. So, if a model has an accident at my house. She's covered. Running a little low, or forgot the makeup? No prob. See that big box over there? It's the Mary Kay stuff I bought that the wife never could sell. grrrr. The dealer ended up being a user. Damn fiend.

Oct 01 05 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Masha wrote:
holy crap, the more i read this thread, the more i want to say to all of the gentlemen: you can't imagine what it's like and you really have no idea.

Thanks for overgeneralizing.  We appreciate it.

Oct 01 05 06:49 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

simplyred wrote:
I must agree with you as well.  There are woman with only one ovary that works regularly which means a cycle every other month... weight not being an issue at all, but just how each woman's body functions.

Usually when a woman has only one ovary, the other takes over and her cycle changes very little. My sister was worried about this when she had a strangulated ovary removed, and no such luck.  She even had fraternal twins thereafter.

Oct 01 05 09:29 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

simplyred wrote:
Really?  I was under the impression that "plus" was an industry term.  That's the category I fit into and the phrase I embrace.  Although I do prefer the term "reality-sized" better.  The one phrase that I detest is "full-figured."

Reality-sized? I guess that means the rest of us are fictional?

Oct 01 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

it's 10:54 theda ovary time, do you know where your children are?

Oct 01 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Theda, you get my vote for best witty comment.

Oct 01 05 10:08 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Masha wrote:
i don't care what kind of period your wife has, i'm sure she doesn't always fill you in on it and all women are different.
most men act like it's so easily predictable and easily taken care of. accidents happen, deal with it. it's not as simple as just keeping your tampons in stock. life is hectic at times and guess what, tampons are not your first priority especially when you're not expecting your period, so god forbid you forgot to put one in your bag for emergencies.

I don't always know when I'm gonna' get a headache, so I keep a bottle of Motrin in the cupboard.  I also don't know when I might fall into a situation where I run out of gas, so I keep a small gas tank in the trunk of my car.  And sometimes, when I don't know what time it is...instead of asking a complete stranger, I just strap a watch to my wrist and look at it. 

It's really not a very tough concept.

Oct 01 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Naruphotography

Santa Barbara, California, US

Actually it's something that's always in my location kit. In 1995 I was doing a catalogue shoot in India. Not only did the model lose her bags but she had a period when we were shooting in a local outdoor market..where do you find western tampons in an outdoor market in India!. Things have changed since then but can you afford it. The shoot stops you have to meet 17 shots a day. outdoors with 1 assistant...could put you back a day. compare that to the cost of a tampon..

Oct 01 05 03:02 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Dan Hood MM/Moderator wrote:

And other brands are made for ....................

Beats me! That's what my browsing said. All the other doctors gyn told me that scented tampons causes yeast infections.

Oct 01 05 03:50 pm Link

Model

simplyred

Oakland, California, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
A lot of the reality-sized women I shoot, I shoot because it makes them feel sexy and attractive and confident (and they're willing to sign stock model releases, ha ha), but they don't consider themselves models. They're in that borderline place where they are confident and proud of the way they look but are still reluctant to embrace the "Plus size" title. They want to feel like they look good, period-- not like they look good for their size. It's a curious thing.

Personally, I consider myself "Well-rounded." wink I still have 50 pounds of pregnancy weight.. And my daughter turned two in July. There's a reason I stay BEHIND the camera.. big_smile

That makes sense... I don't feel so out of the loop anymore.  lol  Thanks!

My thing is just be comfortable in your own skin... I know, easier said than done.  wink

Oct 01 05 08:37 pm Link

Model

simplyred

Oakland, California, US

theda wrote:
Usually when a woman has only one ovary, the other takes over and her cycle changes very little. My sister was worried about this when she had a strangulated ovary removed, and no such luck.  She even had fraternal twins thereafter.

That's interesting to hear.  My sister had both of her ovaries, but one just didn't want to act right.  That just goes to show you how different womens' bodies are.  wink

Oct 01 05 08:41 pm Link

Model

simplyred

Oakland, California, US

theda wrote:

rotflmao  Hey, I didn't make that one up...just merely quoted it.  That'll teach me!

Oct 01 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

is it me, or am i the only one who thinks its ironic that SimplyRed is talking about tampons?!?

Oct 01 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

jeff s

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

Well, I had a hysterectomy so that means no more tampons for me.....kidding, kidding......

My wife does make sure the studio has tampons, and other "feminine needs thingies" on hand. Including  a hot pack in case cramps kick in......and herbal tea and all that other stuff for you ladies......

But I can't take credit for it and never would have thought of it.

I am a guy, I don't have ovaries that may or may not work this month.

Oct 01 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Ed Burns Photography wrote:
It's really not a very tough concept.

it really isn't, i agree. but like i said, which you didn't seem to awknowledge, life gets hectic and chaotic. tampons are never your top priority when you're not expecting your period. i'm not saying that not having a spare tampon is a common occasion, but it happens. as in, you had an early business meeting, overslept, and had to quickly get ready and run out the door, and you gave your spare tampon to someone who needed it last week and forgot to replace it. you're not going to remember petty crap like tampons in that situation if your period is next week, but happens to come early. these situations happen.

Oct 01 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Masha wrote:

Oh yeah?  Try drinking too many Crown & Cokes and making the mistake of eating Taco Bell at 1:00 am. 

Masha wrote:

I know my wife's cycle very well, thank you. 

Masha wrote:

I'm not a blithering idiot - or a caveman.  I understand that every woman is different in her cycle.  However, if a woman's period is that unpredictable, then she should be prepared at all times.  That would be like the photographer showing up without a lens for his camera:

"Miss Model, would you happen to have a 50mm prime lens on hand?  I'm fresh out."

Yeah, accidents can happen - but why should it be someone else's responsibility to be prepared?

Oct 02 05 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

William Kious wrote:

I'm not a blithering idiot - or a caveman.  I understand that every woman is different in her cycle.  However, if a woman's period is that unpredictable, then she should be prepared at all times.  That would be like the photographer showing up without a lens for his camera:

"Miss Model, would you happen to have a 50mm prime lens on hand?  I'm fresh out."

Yeah, accidents can happen - but why should it be someone else's responsibility to be prepared?

I think a lens is a bad analogy.  That's more like a model forgetting her face.

But my ass has been saved when I needed some AA batteries and the MUA had spares.  And I've saved a stylist's ass when she needed safety pins.

Some things aren't necessary, but they're nice.

Oct 02 05 12:47 am Link

Photographer

ImagesByJames

Menomonie, Wisconsin, US

Jordan wrote:
Beaver Dam brand tampons are the best.

LMAO - because Wisconsin has a paper plant in Beaver Dam.  I spit Coke through my nose.  Haven't done that in nearly 25 years.  Awesome joke. THANKS Jordan!

BTW - I'm a cool photographer.  At my studio, I have more women's clothing, make-up, and toiletries than your local Wal-Mart.  (grin)  Because the flow consumes a week per month - and many women cycle with the phases of the moon - I actually end up going through a supersize box of tampons every couple of months.  (Although I think some are just "grabbed" for home if someone is running low.)

Oct 02 05 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Actually I do have a variety of tampons, pads and panty liners in my bag of supplies for photoshoots... have done so for the past 4 years...

William Kious wrote:
Now a male photographer has to worry about dragging tampons around?  Seriously.  If a woman doesn't have the good sense to be prepared and her period starts during a shoot, she can fend for herself.  What about women who don't use tampons?  Should the photographer drag around a variety of maxipads, too?  I know!  I'll install a dispenser in the bathroom!  Maybe I could wear tampons in a bandolier around my chest! 

Has the concept of chivalry deteriorated so much that a man having tampons on his person is considered heroic?

Oct 02 05 02:11 am Link

Model

niz3n

North Miami, Florida, US

William Kious wrote:

Hey, if the model was willing, I would make a theme out of it!  smile  If not, *click click* and they're gone.  I'm not insensitive, but my wife (and none of the women I dated before marriage) were ever caught "unprepared". 

Why do you think cars have gloveboxes?

I know! FOR GLOVES!

Oct 02 05 11:32 am Link

Model

niz3n

North Miami, Florida, US

Instead is good, and if you do nudes, you dont have to photoshop out the string! and on that note...OB is great too (very small so you can take them anywhere =])

Oct 02 05 11:44 am Link