Forums > Model Colloquy > How often is enough...

Model

A Cristina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

for TFP. I want to be selective..and there are many great photographers I want to work with. But..should i schedule as much good TFP as i can. Or spread it out? How often, as a new model, should i schedule TFP?
After a little bit gas prices and even my own wardrobe wears out.
Any advice??
Thanks!
Aprille

Oct 09 05 11:43 am Link

Photographer

SMK Images

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

It never hurts to be selective when doing TFP/CD. Something my wife and I have found out (at least in this area) TFP/CD's are rather common, but paying shoots are rare. The only advice I can give is this: If you like a photog's work then a couple of TFP/CD's never hurt, but you should always look at how much it costs (i.e. gas and wear and tear on your wardrobe.

Oct 09 05 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

You're miles away from doing anything but TFP.  You need to be more selective of the photographers you work with.  Look at the images of some of the other models on MM.

Paul

Oct 09 05 12:13 pm Link

Model

A Cristina

I have some minor paying deals. But...I was curious as to what other models thought
Thanks everyone for your imput!
Aprille

Oct 09 05 12:47 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

tfps are fine when staring out i do them when i can, it helps out the photographer and model they both get pics and experience. but once you start getting paid work then things may change. asking for too many tfps can hurt you as well as help you. when doing them ask questions like if it is two or more hours away are they at least going to pay for gas, espeacially if going to them, or what kind of wardrobe are they supplying or are you. cause I have been on shoots that it took a toll on my clothes. and remember READ the MODEL RELEASE!!!! it is important, you may think they are all the same but you never know. and be careful!

Oct 09 05 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Aprille,

speaking as a photographer that has shot with you, I think there are a few things you'll have to work on before you can begin to think you can start charging photographers to shoot with you. Some of those things we spoke about, (things that bothered me before and during our shoot).

I understand that gas prices are raising and wardrobe cost money, but in Philly we have great places for girls to buy clothes cheap if you think your wardrobe is lacking something. I'm not saying the clothes will last long but they will keep you with a fresh look for upcoming shoots.

Oct 09 05 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Aprille wrote:
for TFP. I want to be selective..and there are many great photographers I want to work with. But..should i schedule as much good TFP as i can. Or spread it out? How often, as a new model, should i schedule TFP?
Any advice??
Thanks!
Aprille

I tell all of my starting models to not do TFP shoots.  If you are willing to do the poses the photographers needs, then you should be paid somthing.

Gas, groceries, rent, phone, and car payments all have to be paid with real mony, and photographers are use to getting money for their services. I know a lot of photographers here on MM have other jobs, and still expect models to pose for a few images, but the same photographer has to shell out some money for everything else he/she gets, so why not pay the models some money for their time.

If word gets out you will pose for free, no one will ever want to hire you.

Oct 10 05 06:43 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

I can tell you the best thing in the world for new wardrobe options are to head to your local thrift stores. You will find so many things there, and also prompt some new ideas to form.

As far as gas, have the photog meet you half way, or see if they're willing to help out with expenses. I've found most photographers to be willing to help you if your a dedicated model.

Oct 11 05 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

I definately think you should not stop doing TFPs. IMHO, Your portfolio still has a long way to go before you can command rates. Not only do you need to build the experience, you also need the quality of images that will demonstrate what looks you can pull off. In fact, if you see a photographer you really like, I would suggest you pay him for a shoot. One that includes Makeup and Hair. If you have many photographers wanting to work with you, then simply refine your editing skills, leave the bunch and select those few who you consider the best in quality. The money will mostly come from clients who need you to model stuff, the portofio (created with TFPs) will help you sell yourself to those potential clients. The better the TFPs... the better the porfolio, and therfore, the greater chances you have of selling yourself.

-Daniel

Oct 12 05 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

Aprille wrote:
Any advice??
Thanks!
Aprille

By the way...this is normal, TFP does not mean Free, it means you cover your own costs and the photographer and whoever else is involved covers there owns costs..all for the benefit of the team. The photographer also pays for gas...prints...and the equipment is much more expensive to replace and update (eventhough it has a lower turnover rate). I guess you can only go as far as you are willing to cover those costs yourself.

-DM.

Oct 12 05 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

You should always be open to TFP if the photographer:

1) Is a great photographer
2) Can give you photos that are very different than any you have in your portfolio so far.

For most models, I don't qualify on #1 (I'm good, not great), and while I do qualify on #2, what's different about my photos is something not everyone wants in their portfolio.  smile 

Of course, for that reason, most of my shoots are paid shoots, but I do give the models a few shots they can use in their portfolios despite it being a paid shoot.  I do have samples of all the models on my website(s), so I certainly let the models use their samples in their portfolios as well...

Oct 12 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Jerry Garcia kept taking guitar lessons until late in his career.
Point?
NO Model has the perfect book, there's always a better shot you can get. Do whatever it takes to get that better shot.

Oct 12 05 08:31 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

In my experience, as a model, I tend to limit my TFP to what I can fit into my schedule. But that's now.

In the beginning.....I actively sought out TFP or test shoots with photographers whose work I liked. But because I was new, not a lot of really good photographers cared to work with me, just looking at some of the pics on my site. SO, I paid for a few really nice images. Then, photographers started contacting me based on the pics in my portfolio and I built up from there. TFP. And I still enjoy collaborating with the same photographers.

So, there's really not an 'enough' point. If it gets to where you are offered more paying work and you can't fit TFP in your schedule, then you just don;t do TFP. But, you should always be open to collaborating with exceptional photographers to expand and build your portfolio to a higher level.

And definitely be selective on who you work with. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but just know that this is your career too. And if you are not getting the offers for TFP from the good photographers, then you might just want to invest, if you are serious about this as a career.

Oct 12 05 08:38 am Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
In my experience, as a model, I tend to limit my TFP to what I can fit into my schedule. But that's now.

In the beginning.....I actively sought out TFP or test shoots with photographers whose work I liked. But because I was new, not a lot of really good photographers cared to work with me, just looking at some of the pics on my site. SO, I paid for a few really nice images. Then, photographers started contacting me based on the pics in my portfolio and I built up from there. TFP. And I still enjoy collaborating with the same photographers.

So, there's really not an 'enough' point. If it gets to where you are offered more paying work and you can't fit TFP in your schedule, then you just don;t do TFP. But, you should always be open to collaborating with exceptional photographers to expand and build your portfolio to a higher level.

And definitely be selective on who you work with. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but just know that this is your career too. And if you are not getting the offers for TFP from the good photographers, then you might just want to invest, if you are serious about this as a career.

Well said..Smart cookie! If i ever have a question i'm coming to you! wink

Oct 12 05 08:43 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Personally, if a model can't or won't pay for an exceptional photographer, then I don't know why more models aren't actively soliciting TFPs.  I view it as a win-win sort of collaboration.  If a model sees a photographer's work, likes the images and can see themselves in the type of images the photographer is taking, then ask if they have time.  Be selective, make sure the photographer is shooting with equipment of quality, at a location that will provide some interesting background to the images, and be prepared for a few "would love to, I don't have time, don't do TFPs, etc"  Find photographers you connect with, talk to them, meet with them and see their printed portfolio, explain what you want for your portfolio.

I'm certain a lot of photographers would love to work with you, and so long as you're selective, the better the images you present, the more likely you'll get offers of paid work.  As an aside, I know a lot of photographers that will provide wardrobe, so take advantage of that.  If gas is a problem, I'd mention that, you might get some help, but keep in mind, the photographer has his/her own expenses, a good photographer is bringing thousands of dollars of equipment to the shoot, from cameras, to lens, lights, backdrops, memory cards, studio costs, not to mention the hours spent in post shooting time, printing costs, etc. 

And confirm in advance when you'll get images, prints, print sizes, how many, etc., and just keep shooting, post only your best images and things will work out.  I can think of two recent models I shot that had virtually no experience, and after just a few TFPs, put together really exceptional portfolios and are now turning paid work down because there's just not enough time to do them all...

Oct 12 05 09:07 am Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Well, now that I've been modeling for awhile I am selective of what TFCD shoots I take. Not every photographers work will impress me.

Oct 13 05 02:10 am Link