Forums > Model Colloquy > confused =(

Model

Andrea Le

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone.

i've been getting a lot of emails from photographers and many have said "i'd love to shoot you" or "i have a clothing line shoot coming up and want to shoot u" or "we tend to get a lot of cataloge, calendar, clothing line shoots"..stuff like that right.

ok, so...do i assume that they will pay me and then i tell them my rates?? or... as my profile says, "i'm open to tfp/tfcd but prefer paid assignments" ...if they don't mention ne thing bout tfp/tfcd then do i just assume it will be paid? help smile and how should i respond to these emails? THANKS everyone!

Oct 10 05 09:43 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Just ask them what the pay is. Dont forget to ask if travel is coverd too.

Oct 10 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

Ask for clarification, at least that is what I would do.

Oct 10 05 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

It sounds like they may just be making contact - networking. Maybe just reply with "Thanks. Keep me in mind..."

Don't be shy with replying with your rates. If they're intentions are TFP, they'll let you know then.

Oct 10 05 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chex

Los Angeles, California, US

I would say always just assume they are TFP/TFCD.  Only respond to photographers that you think would give you something you could use in your book.

Oct 10 05 09:54 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Ask them the pay scale. Usually, the client already has a budget set aside for hiring models.  Throwing out a number first could seem rude and presumptuous. It's also not great business sense.

Oct 10 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

You cant Assume  you will get payed...  you have to be strong about your modeling and get the red tape out of the way.....  Are you going to shoot a whole set for 3 hours wondering if you are getting payed????  prices are based on you knowledge of modeling and the type of work you shoot for .. where is the image going to be catalog fashion mags or private portfoilio..

Oct 10 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

From what I've seen, the whole "catalog, clothing line, calendar, etc." thing is usually a scam.  It seems that lackluster photographers use it as a means for attracting models.  I'm not saying all offers like that are bogus, but a large percentage seem to be.

Long story short, make sure the publication is legit.  Set your price scale and don't waver from it unless there's a damn good chance you will get some awesome stuff for your own portfolio.

Oct 10 05 10:19 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ask them what the  udget is...
And, if they contacte
you and have t
at much stuff that they're interested in using you for, they should be paying. Not always the case, but should be.
Also, ask or the names of the clients. They should be willing to tell you, since they're soliciting you. Ask for his references and full *business* contact info including mailing address.

Leave it at that and wait on a reply. Anything more than that will scare even legitimate inquiries off. If he replies with NON of your que
tions answered then go ahead amd ignore him. If he says that there is pay and doesn't tell you who the clients are or references. Ask him again. He may have over looked it, or deliberately avoided it. Either way, be very careful and IF you decide to have a meeting bring a friend. NOT your boyfriend. That's considered too personal and rude. Ask eveything you can think of. He should be very willing to answer everything for you then. If not, just leave.

Say, "Thank you! But I'm no longer interested. I have a very busy schedule and this would be a conflict of interest.
Have a nice day"

Oct 10 05 10:38 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

I would take tfp/tfcd out of your info. You can always accept trades if you want to, but if you put that out there first and foremost, it limits your room to compromise. If you'll accept no pay, you'll get no pay.

You should always bring up rate in the beginning of the disussion, otherwise it's really weird later. You will come across as a professional by handling the business part of your modeling career with confidence.  Good luck.

Oct 10 05 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Figure them all to be TFP...

If you like thier stuff,Work off of that...

Im sure some one will agree to your scale

(:----

Hj

Oct 10 05 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Ask them for a clarification.

Oct 11 05 08:15 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

there are people out there that expect models will do catalog shoots free for the tears. 

there are stupid models that will do this stuff free....while people make money on  their photos.  It's like they are flattered someone is actually going to use their photo somewhere. 

I would just send them rates

Oct 11 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Danatko

New York, New York, US

I would say assume all the photographers want TFP. As far as the clothing line people, you must expect payed work. If they are to use the photos to advertise the clothes, than you need some sort of compensation. Hey, after all, they will be exploiting your look to bring in sales. No TF-anythings in this area.

-daniel

Oct 12 05 03:01 am Link