Forums > Model Colloquy > best acne treatment HELP!

Model

AD

New York, New York, US

as crazy at is sounds, once i started to drink TONS of water, didnt use crazy products on my face to stop the occasional break outs and just used a mild cleanser and an exfoliator once a week it became awesome.

dont go for the over teh counter products they are only a temporary solution and will break you out even more. go to a dermo to have your skin diagnosed

Jun 19 07 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

PAD Productions

Houston, Texas, US

proactive has done wonders on my face!
and drink TONS of water!

Jun 19 07 02:21 pm Link

Model

Melissa Leslie

San Diego, California, US

Go natural and organic!!!

I used to have all the expensive products that worked great prescribed by my doctor...then my insurance changed and I had to wait...So I googled home remedies for skin and got the following:

For freckles and acne apply lemon juice with a cotton ball and leave on for 15 min

for the stinkier way(which does wonders!!!!) use crushed garlic on the face for up to 15 min...  Clears ya right up!

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper and you can feel better about not apply man made chemicals .....instead what mother earth has:)

Jun 19 07 03:10 pm Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

Cut out dairy, see what happens.  That is the one and only thing that has ever worked for my skin, and trust me I've tried EVERYTHING

Jun 19 07 03:15 pm Link

Model

Dana Barry

Brooklyn, New York, US

PROACTIV SOLUTION

its the best shit everrrrrrrr!!!

Jun 19 07 03:16 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Hakannson. Can't suggest it enough.

Jun 19 07 03:22 pm Link

Model

MarlenaLove

Spring Lake, Florida, US

I am also tortured by acne. I have tried everything. I've switched birth control to Ortho Tri Cyclen and have used it for two months. Nothing so far. Just a week and a half ago, the doc gave me a prescription for Retin A Micro cream. I HATE it. My face has started to peel off. It stings and burns. I went to visit the website for it and it acknowledges the side effects and then goes on to tell about how the acne will get worse before it gets better and that it is nessasary to wait three months before you see the results. I don't know about anyone else, but I think that sucks. So don't try it. Or just use it as a last resort.

I'm going with the diet idea... I'd rather invest three months of my time into feeling better from eating better, than feeling and looking like shit with no certanty of it working.

Jun 19 07 03:36 pm Link

Model

rachel_lee

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I HATE Proactiv as it did nothing for my skin. BUT, they have a mask that if you do break out, at night after you wash your face if you put it on the blemish spots and leave it on overnight it is almost completely dried up and gone the next morning. It works wonders. Have you tried benzoyl peroxide? You can get a 10% wash from your doctor it has to be prescribed and that usually works pretty well. Tea tree oil also helps.

Jun 19 07 04:32 pm Link

Model

AD

New York, New York, US

JordanDanielle wrote:
Cut out dairy, see what happens.  That is the one and only thing that has ever worked for my skin, and trust me I've tried EVERYTHING

agreed! there is a big correlation with dairy and acne

Jun 19 07 04:38 pm Link

Model

AD

New York, New York, US

rachel_lee wrote:
I HATE Proactiv as it did nothing for my skin. BUT, they have a mask that if you do break out, at night after you wash your face if you put it on the blemish spots and leave it on overnight it is almost completely dried up and gone the next morning. It works wonders. Have you tried benzoyl peroxide? You can get a 10% wash from your doctor it has to be prescribed and that usually works pretty well. Tea tree oil also helps.

when i was younger i tried proactive, it worked for 3 weeks then backfired.

Jun 19 07 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Hola Guapa Photography

Summerville, South Carolina, US

Well, the first thing is try not to touch your face that much.
Drink a lot of water, and use a non-harsh face cleanser.

Jun 19 07 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

this is just as wrong as someone taking diets from a website.. go to a dermatologist..

Jun 19 07 04:44 pm Link

Model

Tegzy

I used to have terrible skin all through highschool and onwards.  I was put on skin tablets...I can't actually remember what they were called but they cleared it up for about 1-2 years I think and then it came back.

I was then put on the pill which evened everything out fairly well but I was still having a few problems.  Now, I'm a very obsessive compulsive person when it comes to taking care of my face (well all my skin really) so I definately do it religiously and have all my life.  I was using very basic stuff on my face...very gentle etc...I didn't notice a great improvement on a lot of the ones I tried. 

I went on Proactiv just to give it a shot.  I know this is going to sound like those people on the adds...but honestly I mean what I say when I say it WORKS for me (not the "for me" part...as I know there's quite a lot of people it doesn't work for).  When I first started using it I had a problem many people have.  My skin completely dried up and looked HORRIBLE.  I called them up to complain and they explained to me that this is the initial process your skin goes through to adapt to the product and to give you skin time to get used to it.  The first few weeks or more I had a few more pimples than usual and my skin was drying a fair bit.  I counter-acted this problem with the moisturiser they provide and eventually my skin did get used to it and the deep pimples that were surfacing stopped all together.  Now I'm very happy with my skin and very VERY rarely have a pimple.  I'm actually very lucky not to get any acne scarring with the amount of picking I used to do! yikes I just couldn't stand it.

With ANY skin treatment...if you already have pimples...you must expect your skin to basically 'get worse before it gets better' because your skin will be flushing out impurities and getting used to the product you are using.  Changing your skin treatment every day/week gives your skin no time to adapt so if you choose something try and stick to it and give it a chance!

I also drink 2 litres of water a day (it's hard to fit it in but it's needed!) and try to stick to a healthy diet...

you've got to remember that some skin problems are just genetic and no amount of healthy diet...water....and retail skin treatments are going to be your sure fix to the problem.  My sister went to a dermatologist for hers and eventually she actually grew out of it.

I think the worst thing is when I see people with bad acne scarring or a lot of acne and I find out they actually don't know about special treatments out there to help them...or their parents are unaware etc.  It's such a confidence drainer....I'm just glad my mum knew about the pills I could go on and the things I could do to fix it.

Jun 19 07 08:07 pm Link

Model

Pistol Vegas

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Tea tree oil is going to work the best.

I work as a makeup/ skin care cosultant for The Body Shop and they have a whole face regimine line of tea tree oil.

Since I've started working there and using their product, my skin has cleared completely, and I used to have horrid acne.

Here's my body shop mixture:

Tea tree oil facial cleanser and toner. (AM & PM)

Concentrated tea tree oil (put directly on blemishes) (as needed)

Moisture White Serum. Complex mixture of Vitamn C and Licorice to help with skin hyperpigmentation, redness, even old acne scars. Basically evens your skintone to all one color. No, it does not make your skin 'whiter'. (AM)

Moisture White Nite Plus. Super charged formula of the stuff above, but also works as a deep moisturizer for at nite. (PM)

Vitamin C moisturizer. Vitamin C not only helps brighten your skin, but it protects it against free radicals and enviromental stressers that can make you break out, wrinkle, and age faster.(AM)

Vitamin C Intensive Nite Treatment. Last step in my regimine and superpacked with Vitamin C. Plus my skin always feels so good when I put it on. (PM)

Vitamin E Moisture Face Spritz. Vitamin E helps keep your skin supple and smooth, also known to fade scars. Combide with Vitamin C, it's a wicked weapon, as they both work together to maxamize the skin's vitamin intake. I always spritz it after I use the Vitamin C. It can also be used as a great makeup setter during the day!

Plus all of these products are decently priced from 10-25 dollars.

Plus my secret weapon is (sigh, not from the body shop) Benzol Peroxide. This is only for major breakouts and blemishes, look for a product that has the highest over the counter percentage, usually 10%. This always zaps my major breakouts right away as saclayic acid never has worked for me. You can find benzol peroxide in a lot of skincare stuff at CVS, Walgreens, or Target, you just have to take time to read labels.

I would also recommend checking your makeup ingredents lists as well, as that might be the culprit itself. ALOT of cheap makeup ( and even some pricey ones) use pertrolium and mineral oil, which sufficates your skin and clogs pores, causing, breakouts!

Also mineral oil is on the top ten skin cancer causing products list this year!!! SOOO bad for you! Read labels like crazy. You would be surprised how many makeup and skin care companies use mineral oil.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Jun 19 07 09:00 pm Link

Model

Melinda Anne

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I had "cystic acne" and went to see a dermatologist.  I was prescribed tons of different things but the only one that worked for me was Accutane.  It works by decreasing the amount of oil that your skin produces.  The problem with Accutane is that you shouldn't get pregnant while on it because it may cause birth defects.  Also, you have to have blood work done each month to make sure your liver is not being harmed.  It worked wonders for me, but I would suggest trying some of the other suggestions first due to the risks and cost of Accutane.  I hope this helps!  smile

Jun 19 07 09:14 pm Link

Model

Lila Lavender

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I was on Accutane for my skin problems. It did wonders for my acne but ruined my eye site. Now I have to wear glasses or contacts for the rest of my life.

Jun 19 07 11:44 pm Link

Model

Melanie Renee

New York, New York, US

see a dermatologist.

I can't stress this enough.. acne happens to everyone, but if it's a problem then see a dermatologist.

I used to have normal acne, but I have hyperpigmentation (as most African Americans do) meaning EVERYTHING left a scar. So I had tons of ugly dark spots all over my face from past acne..

One microdermabrasion and chemical peel later, it was like I was able to start fresh! The dermatologist gave me topical medications to use, Duac for morning and Retin A for night, and I wash my face morning and night with some Neutrogena thing that doubles as a face mask.

I think now, I get about 7 pimples a year, and I started all of this my senior year of high school (college junior now).

Jun 19 07 11:49 pm Link

Model

Ange

London, England, United Kingdom

Ada A wrote:
I posted yesterday, but I don't think that my reply went through.

Since you are sort of in the area, I would suggest visiting the Toronto Acne Clinic.
It's fairy inexpensive (I thinik only twenty dollars a visit with your health card), and they can really help you out.

I went there around seven years ago, as I had a lot of acne problems as well from a very young age. I went through some topical creams, but nothing worked until Accutane. It cleared up my face perfectly. Now, when I tell people that I had acne problems, they simply laugh at me and think that I am making it up. I always get compliments on my clear skin. Wow, I sound like an infomercial.

Anyway, Accutane is the last resort they would use with you, since they will probably start you off on much milder topical antibiotic creams and see how you react to that. Maybe the creams will help, but maybe not. I am definitely advising you to talk to the clinic and see what they have to say. Accutane is also not for everyone, as there are some risks involved as well as monthly blood tests to make sure everything in your blood and liver is okay. However, it worked amazingly for me, so there is hope for anyone in my opinion. I have been through every possible treatment, and found that while Proactive and similar creams worked for some people, it never did anything for me.

Best of luck hun! smile

As a side note, I would also like to add that a healthy and balanced diet, excercise, and staying out of the sun will help clear up your skin as well. However, if you do have serious problems, that may not always work.

Accutane made my life so much better. If your acne is that bad and not going away,  I highly highly highly recommend it. It was safer for me than the antibiotics I was on for years. I still have to use Differin (prescribed) cream every night (which actually might work wonders on its own -I have a few friends who I've recommended it to whose skin has cleared up immensely) but my skin is pretty much perfect.

Did a shoot with no make-up yesterday --never would have done that a year ago!!

Jun 20 07 07:35 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Daniela V wrote:
Hakannson. Can't suggest it enough.

Where.can.i.buy.it?

Jun 20 07 07:45 am Link

Model

moniquevanson

Go to the doc and make em prescribe you something with "Minocyclinhydrochlorid" in it..50mg 2 times a day.

Jun 20 07 07:53 am Link