Forums > General Industry > Where do u like to shoot-outdoors vs. Indoors,why?

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I like shooting indoors when I'm not shooting outdoors (and vice versa). Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. But as far as handling the light goes, I don't see much difference as the lighting concepts are all the same regardless of the light source. I also like interchanging light sources for creative control with varied effects, and quite often mix and match light from different sources in both environments. I must say I love having a studio to fall back on when it's just too miserable to be outside. Since I shoot all the time, I would hate to be at the mercy of the weather.

Oct 12 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Why is it that most of the guys who shoot outside all the time are in CA and FL? wink

I'm in OH and much prefer my studio.  I can shoot evenings or at high noon, or when it's raining or snowing.  The model has a comfortable place to change clothes and have makeup applied.  OTOH, I don't get the variety of scenery that some of the outdoor guys do but the pros outweigh the cons.

Paul

Oct 12 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
Why is it that most of the guys who shoot outside all the time are in CA and FL? wink

I'm in OH and much prefer my studio.  I can shoot evenings or at high noon, or when it's raining or snowing.  The model has a comfortable place to change clothes and have makeup applied.  OTOH, I don't get the variety of scenery that some of the outdoor guys do but the pros outweigh the cons.

That is all well and good if you want the majority of the images to appear the same.  Kinda like eating a grilled cheese sandwich every day for lunch...why mix in a good corned beef or pastrami when in the end it still fills ya up!

Oct 12 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

BCG wrote:
a good shooter should be comfortable in any and all enviroments.

Yeah.  Right after the studio and cheap hotel room comes my third choice:  in the middle of Kansas in a thunderstorm at night.  With a nude model of course.  Using ambient light.

-Don

Oct 12 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I like both, but there is something about being able to control the light in the studio that is attractive.

Oct 13 05 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

I've shot outside at night and in the evening, both with and without "controlled lighting". I've shot in the rain (both with ambient light and with flash), at  high noon, and, I suppose, if it snowed, I could photograph there as well.

I like working in the studio; there are some things that are much easier to do with fully controlled lighting and easy power. Granted, it does take a little effort to avoid the "I only shoot on pastel seamless" look, but that's simple enough to do.

I also like working outside the studio; there are some things that are much easier to do with more space and environments that don't need to be created by me, or which won't easily fit in a studio. Even hallways in apartment complexes can add some depth that's hard to get in a studio.

Fortunately, they're both available.

Oct 13 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Outside....because here in Wisconsin,...it's only "green" enough outside, only 3 months out of the year...the rest of the year,...I'm stuck indoors.....there is only so much I can do in my studio...I'm running out of ideas..

JP

Oct 13 05 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

I'm comfortable both indoors and out.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.

I will say that the best serlling photos on my site have been outdoor photos, but then lots of people want to see photos of ladies tied up on train tracks.  (Definitely not an indoor shoot, ya know.)

There are some things that work better indoors to be sure...  big_smile

Oct 13 05 08:18 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Yeah.  Right after the studio and cheap hotel room comes my third choice:  in the middle of Kansas in a thunderstorm at night.  With a nude model of course.  Using ambient light.

-Don

being the proactive photographer that i am, yes...i have shot inside a helicopter and inside the cramped quarters of a b-52...but having lived in tornado alley and lived through an f5 tornado, i would not recomend shooting twisters, but i know some storm chasers that are up to the challenge!!!

Oct 13 05 08:44 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I like to shoot wherever the model and my camera is.  I enjoy the control I have in the studio and the challenge of shooting outdoors.  I think it is wonderful to be able to stand back 30 feet and use a long lens on the cyclorama and I get to feel like a better photographer if I get a good image in a phone booth.

This is an interesting question.  For me the answer is I like to take pictures, which is why I became a photographer to begin with.  Every location, even the most mundane has something to make it worthwhile!

Oct 13 05 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

As long as I can control it, either or

Oct 13 05 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Outdoors cause I suck indoors...usually...mostly.

Oct 13 05 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

indoors; serious lighting, outdoors; the sun.
i like them both.

Oct 14 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I like to shoot outdoors when possible. However we have a fickle weatherman here. Even if the light is right, the wind could be blowing 30 mph. A ready studio is just about a must-have here.

Oct 14 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

HR wrote:
In my opinion, i like both about the same. Outdoors gives me the chance to breathe and feel relax while i handle my business. Meanwhile, indoors gives the comfort of privacy. What about you?

I LOVE the outdoors!

There are so many things you can do out there, and you're not as restricted as you are in a studio. When I shoot in a studio, unless I'm shooting glamour, lingerie or some type of nudity, I can't think as well. Everything seems to be the same.

When I get outside, I see all kinds of possibilities, plus, it's more challenging with the lighting and people.

Oct 14 05 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Come to think of it, I do the majority of my studio shooting when the weather is not conducive to shooting what I'm looking for.

Being from Florida, I can't be inside for long periods of time. I have to be outside.

Oct 14 05 10:29 pm Link