Forums > Model Colloquy > How to you train/practice you craft?

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Models and Modeling is a skilled craft. I have lot of respect for talented Models.

What you you Models out there do to hone you craft?
How do you make yourself better at Modeling?
Do you take take any formal training?

So what do you do to keep up?

There are plenty of Models out there who think it about just being pretty and thin. I know from working with a few hundred Models that is much more than being pretty.

I think it would be appropriate if Models answer this question.

Thanks,
Mark

Oct 16 05 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Acting classes.

Oct 16 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

For what it's worth Mark, I encurage the newer models to TFP/CD with as many photogrphers as they feel comfortable with which gives them real live experiance.

Craig

Oct 16 05 08:47 pm Link

Model

balletkatelyn

New York, New York, US

for me, it's simply been going to shoots... I could see and feel improvement from my first shoot to the second with Israel... of course, the fact that I did two shoots with Israel Colon probably didn't hurt wink

of course, neither did my 11 years of dance training....

Oct 16 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

For some it's just intuitive.  I worked with a model on Saturday who did a fantastic job of posing herself.  Shot about 250 images and probably could use 200 of them.  OTOH, I've worked with a lot of models who were stiff as a board.

Paul

Oct 16 05 11:16 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Well...I'm no expert, but for me I have learned and grown from the photographers I've worked with, studied what I have seen others do, and looked at lots of magazine ads.

Oct 16 05 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

When models ask me what they can do, I tell them get in front of a mirror and pratice different expressions. Not just facial, but body. Look over magazines, not just one style, but MANY as there's tons to learn in each one.

Oct 16 05 11:29 pm Link

Model

Kiera

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I learn from photogs. I've shot with some pretty good ones here in the midwest. If you pay attention, they will teach you about lights and everything. And, I have done a lot of TFPs that's for sure. And, I finally learned my way to the DAV for clothes. THAT was getting expensive. Take the photog with you if he has time. Plus, it is a good way to get to know each other and you will be more comfortable in a shoot. Taking Dean Johnson to Victoria's Secret was a real hoot!!! And they have a really good return policy.

Oct 17 05 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Sensory Overload

Santa Clarita, California, US

Ive had models ask me this question before. I tell them they need to spend a lot of time in front of a mirror practicing poses and facial expression. a very large mirror or mirrors preferrably. and to look at magazines for poses. Models have come back to me months and years later with thanks yous for this advice. So far, it seems to have worked the best. I think acting classes would do wonders if you have the time and money.

Oct 17 05 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

There are some answers in here:
https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=7912

Oct 17 05 02:59 am Link

Model

Nina Bond

London, Arkansas, US

I practice most days infront of a mirror. Find a pose I like and then close my eyes and see how it feels cause on a shoot you don't have a mirror infront of you, wish i did! Any new outfits I buy I try on and see how they look best and also always check out the magazines and keep copies of all the poses I like. Don't know about anyone else but some weeks i'm working everyday and others none so thats not enough if you want to be great!
Nina
xxx

Oct 17 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

I've only worked with one model. But I am looking for chances to get better at photography.. I like to find people that are on vaction and need someone to take their picture with their camera. Once  I take care of their needs I ask if I can take a picture of them with my camera.. Sometimes they allow it.  I was at the dedication of a new fire station and a young woman wanted a picture of her son with an old fire truck they had on display. Of course I jumped at the chance to do this for this woman. ... She was great in all the images. Her son,I am guessing 3 1/2. Looked like it was nap time for him .He didn't want to smile or do anything for his mother. So we just shrugged it off and took the shots she wanted.

Oct 17 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
There are plenty of Models out there who think it about just being pretty and thin. I know from working with a few hundred Models that is much more than being pretty.

Thanks,
Mark

Amen to that one:)smile Had the perfect example of that in my studio yesterday!!! dam, should video tape these sessions and broadcast them:)

Oct 17 05 11:12 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

for me it is having people ask me to portray certain emotions, also I gain experience from working.

Oct 17 05 12:19 pm Link