Forums > Model Colloquy > Fingernails!

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

If there's one piece of advice I can give to models out there - pay attention to your hands!  A shot can look great, but if a model's fingernails and hands are in bad shape, it detracts from the shot.  It's also a pain to fix post-shoot.

Oct 18 05 06:29 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

As an addendum:

I've found that, while most photographers will forget to mention what they want (long nails, short nails, painted hussy red, clear, no polish, etc.), they almost always have a very strong opinion about how your hands should look.  It's a really good idea to bring this to their attention pre-shoot and see what they're looking for with your fingernails (and toes, if you're going to be barefoot).

Oct 18 05 06:33 pm Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Shyly wrote:
As an addendum:

I've found that, while most photographers will forget to mention what they want (long nails, short nails, painted hussy red, clear, no polish, etc.), they almost always have a very strong opinion about how your hands should look.  It's a really good idea to bring this to their attention pre-shoot and see what they're looking for with your fingernails (and toes, if you're going to be barefoot).

I think the model should be prepared by having everything that is going to be shot be cleaned up and taken care of...

If the model is going to be shooting in completely green outifts...then wear completely green nailpolish

But don't wear green polish when you know you are going to have wardrobe changes

clear or french solves this and it really is the model's job not the photographers to take care of it (whether it's discussed or not)) smile

Oct 18 05 06:37 pm Link

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

Nails should be taken care of as a model or not so you'll always be prepared especially if you meet a photographer, agent or so on unexpectidly

Oct 18 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

This is a very simple thing that all models should do. If you do not hear from the photographer in regard to how he or she wants your hands to look come to the shoot with long french nails. They go with everything..And by all means take care of your toes also..

Mike

Oct 18 05 06:55 pm Link

Model

balletkatelyn

New York, New York, US

haha.. i do take care of my toes, unfortunately i'm a ballet dancer... so they look like... AHHHHHHH!!!! no matter what i do...

Oct 18 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

That Look Photo wrote:
...come to the shoot with long french nails. They go with everything.

I people who would disagree with this, some adamantly.  For my tastes, the simpler, the better.  French is unnecessary.

Oct 18 05 08:54 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Buffer and shine your natural nail. It looks sooo good! And when you shape it, try to make it square instead of oval, looks much nicer if you ask me.

Oct 18 05 08:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Eek? Long and french?  Try short (even) and natural. THAT goes with everything.

I do ovals or points, dated though they may be.

Oct 18 05 10:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nails........  This is how one knows your upbringing and status in life....Nails and  shoes.

Oct 18 05 10:25 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Mother said you could always tell a lady by her hands...

Oct 18 05 10:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

theda wrote:
Mother said you could always tell a lady by her hands...

this is how I can tell the real age of a model.  I go right to the hands...they never lie.

Oct 18 05 10:40 pm Link

Model

Yenuh 2

Rockville, Connecticut, US

As for nail shape, I think oval is the best bet if the model has no idea what shape to go with since most people do like them (even if not most favorite by the individual photographer).

Oct 18 05 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Shyly wrote:
As an addendum:

Excellent advice.  Since most of my customers on my site are also foot fans, I usually remind the models that there will be barefoot shots during my shoots, and that they should pay attention to their toes before the shoot...I normally don't request a specific color polish, just that it be consistent and well kept.

Oct 19 05 08:05 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

i know that this might sound weird, but i try to regularly get manicures and pedicures.  just makes you feel cleaner.  and plus, it feels really good!! it tickles tho on the feet....  wink

Oct 19 05 08:42 am Link

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

I love guys that get manicures my boyfriend and I go together

Oct 19 05 08:47 am Link

Photographer

David Bickley

Washington, District of Columbia, US

There is a simple answer to this.  Keep your nails at a length of roughly 1/4 in. past the tip of your finger, and get a french manicure. 

I'll explain, the reason I go so far as to state a specific length is because after that length, hands become difficult to pose (in anything but open).  Not only that, but when they extend past that 1/4 inch mark they begin to look gaudy.  Long nails have their place, but very rarely is that place in mainstream advertising.  Don't think for a second that a portfolio isn't advertising...it's the most important kind.

I say get a french manicure because it goes with practically everything, looks very classy and elegant, not to mention the fact that it looks very natural when done right.

Sure, green nail polish and a green shirt is cute....but to be cute is one thing...to be stunning is another.

D

Oct 19 05 08:52 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I get manicures and keep things as natural as possible, but what i hate is when the manicure chips at a shoot. sometimes it unavoidalble. espeacially if the manicurist did a crappy job.

Oct 19 05 09:07 am Link

Model

dustin or something

New York, New York, US

chelsey wrote:
I love guys that get manicures my boyfriend and I go together

my gf took me for the first time over a year ago for our 6 month anniversary.  ive been addicted since...  all the other guys make fun of me tho... i dont care tho.  smile

im a male model.  im used to being ridiculed.. 

smile

Oct 19 05 09:10 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Does anyone else think painting your nails to appear clean and well-groomed is a poor subsitute for actually being clean and well-groomed?

Oct 19 05 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

theda wrote:
Does anyone else think painting your nails to appear clean and well-groomed is a poor subsitute for actually being clean and well-groomed?

It's NYC apartment theory:  slap a new coat of paint up and you can charge a lot more to the next tenants.

Oct 19 05 09:49 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
It's NYC apartment theory:  slap a new coat of paint up and you can charge a lot more to the next tenants.

Nuh-uh! You can't! Not legally anyway...

Oct 19 05 09:55 am Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

I hate colored nail polish on my finger nails. It bothers me for some reason. lol
I either put on clear or if requested a french manicure.

Oct 19 05 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

theda wrote:

Nuh-uh! You can't! Not legally anyway...

You can on hands with fewer than 6 fing--er, buildings with fewer than 6 apartments.  (Stupid mixing metaphors...)  Either way, the key is to make it look well-kept, rather than actually to be well-kept.

Oct 19 05 10:05 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

NAILS! Sorry...wrong forum...I was looking for the *laser level your eyelash* thread smile

Oct 19 05 10:06 am Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Yenuh 2 wrote:
As for nail shape, I think oval is the best bet if the model has no idea what shape to go with since most people do like them (even if not most favorite by the individual photographer).

Most of my mom's customer prefer square nails. When my mom do other people's nail, she makes the square as well (mommy dearest is a manicurest).

Oct 19 05 10:30 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I'm a total freak, I have my fingers squared off and my thumb rounded ovel.
I have no clue why I just do.
I keep mine natual with a coat of clear or translucent peach/pink.
unless the shoot needs dark colors.

Oct 19 05 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Nyx Valentine Photo

Aliso Viejo, California, US

theda wrote:

I do.....I just keep mine trimmed, and buffed....paint just covers up dirt

Oct 19 05 06:16 pm Link

Model

Lydia

Tempe, Arizona, US

So what do you guys think of fake nails (if not too long) OK?

Oct 19 05 06:20 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I have never gotten my nails professionally done.  I try to keep them decent looking, but bring gloves with me to shoots just in case.

Oct 19 05 08:04 pm Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

balletkatelyn wrote:
haha.. i do take care of my toes, unfortunately i'm a ballet dancer... so they look like... AHHHHHHH!!!! no matter what i do...

Hahaha! I know the feeling. I've got post-pointe toes too. They look alright in shoes though. I just try to keep them out of the main focus of the shot, and no one seems to notice. Either that, or they're just too polite to say anything smile

Oct 19 05 11:02 pm Link

Model

chelsey

Lea Hill, Washington, US

as long as your cuticals are tended to, no yellow, no dirt, no hang nails, nice and buffed who can really complain what style they are as long as they are taken care of. 

If you would be embarassed by a picture of your hands or a photographer has to spend way too much time photoshoping them that should tell you something

Oct 19 05 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

theda wrote:

Absolutely!  I think Old Spice = "shower in a bottle".

Oct 20 05 03:57 am Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I cut my finger nails and file them down (with this nifty manicure thing I got). I hate finger nails really bad anyway. I don't trim them when I'm not shooting.

Oct 20 05 05:22 am Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

Lydia M wrote:
So what do you guys think of fake nails (if not too long) OK?

If they arent freakishly long then no there is nothing wrong with it especailly if you are a nail biter,keep the paint simple and nothing too bright.

Oct 20 05 08:41 am Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I people who would disagree with this, some adamantly.  For my tastes, the simpler, the better.  French is unnecessary.

Natural nails with a clear polish is the most professional way to go. Fake long nails are tacky. And this was told to me by a rather well known photographer, Robert Farber, it's worked for me ever since!

Oct 21 05 06:09 am Link

Model

chiandra

Greensboro, Alabama, US

toes also,

i have seen some pics where the models feet have chipped nail polish

Oct 25 05 06:41 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

It's pretty simple - as a model you should take care of yourself - including toes, fingers and heels (I've seen some ugly feet! tongue )

Personally I think neat, clean and natural is the best - worst case you can add (colored nail polish, etc.) much easier than trying to get to a clean slate AND THEN to the look needed

Unless you're a hand model, there's no reason to have long nails (this after having nails naturally over an inch long...), but please don't bite your nails to the bed / pink!

Oct 25 05 08:59 pm Link