Forums > Model Colloquy > Locations to shoot in SF & San Jose, CA area?

Model

Zaika

South San Francisco, California, US

I am trying to find out if any of the bay area based models, photographers, stylists know of any good outside locations to have a photoshoot. You all would be of great help, I live in the area but don't even know much about great spots besides some parks...

Oct 19 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Treasure Island, the Lake Merritt area of Oakland (in the early AM), Marina / Presidio / Palace of Fine Arts area of SF....hmmm good spots up in Marin as well...

Oct 19 05 01:15 am Link

Model

Zaika

Thanks, that works, more than I knew lol smile Also I need some specifics anyone?? smile

Oct 19 05 01:27 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

The Conservatory of Flowers is pretty fantastic, BART stations can be fun, the Transbay Terminal at 1st & Mission, the old bunkers out at the Marin headlands, Fort Funston's just acres of green, there are gorgeous hotels all over the place to get kicked out of (I know this courtesy of James Hickey), Chinatown's got a street just crisscrossed with spectacular paper lanterns, the Japanese Tea Garden in GG Park are a few that come to mind.

Oct 19 05 01:27 am Link

Model

Zaika

Shyly wrote:
The Conservatory of Flowers is pretty fantastic, BART stations can be fun, the Transbay Terminal at 1st & Mission, the old bunkers out at the Marin headlands, Fort Funston's just acres of green, there are gorgeous hotels all over the place to get kicked out of (I know this courtesy of James Hickey), Chinatown's got a street just crisscrossed with spectacular paper lanterns, the Japanese Tea Garden in GG Park are a few that come to mind.

Thanks! Golden Gate park is nice...Some great ideas smile

Oct 19 05 01:31 am Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

The Presidio...  Baker Beach...  Townsend Street on the weekend...
A group of MM people just shot at the abandoned dynamite plant in Hercules this past weekend.  Lots of good places.  I'm always looking for neat spots to shoot.  If you're looking to go out exploring sometime, give me a hollar.

Oct 19 05 01:34 am Link

Model

Zaika

McMadCow wrote:
The Presidio...  Baker Beach...  Townsend Street on the weekend...
A group of MM people just shot at the abandoned dynamite plant in Hercules this past weekend.  Lots of good places.  I'm always looking for neat spots to shoot.  If you're looking to go out exploring sometime, give me a hollar.

That plant location was tight, I shot there with Will Manuel and Joe Perez! I hope the group shoot went awesome, kinda sad that I missed out on all the fun with a bunch of people, but oh well. smile Thanks

Oct 19 05 01:38 am Link

Model

Zaika

Keep 'em comin! I am sure there is more cool locations you all know about! smile

Oct 19 05 01:48 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

stephens creek trail, just walk up and down and you'll find tons of places to shoot.

Oct 19 05 10:42 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

These places sound wonderful.  I have no idea where most of them are.  Oh well, I guess I can e-mial for directions.

Oct 19 05 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

you could always take a ride on calaveras road and felter road during the day.  there're a lot of locations you could just stop and snap off a few pictures.

if you're looking for a big hill to stand atop of, then mission peak in fremont is good. 

to get there, head to stanford ave, off mission boulevard in fremont.

Oct 20 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

meng

San Francisco, California, US

The bay area is great for shooting!
Grant st (which someone already referred to) has a church - I think it's the corner at California st.  Otherwise, the Chinatown part might be nice.  If you go up Vallejo st, up the hill, there's probably a spot or two of the bay.  Not sure if there'll be parking though.
Coit Tower.  Haight St. (not just the area by Ashbury, but there's a park on a hill which looks nice to shoot at).  Top of Market, up the hill past the Castro.  The Embarcadero and the Ferry Building.  Golden Gate Park.  Palace of Fine Arts and the Marina.  Ghirardelli, Aquatic Park, and Ft. Mason.  Cliff house and the end of Geary.  SBC Park (the drawbridge).  Cable cars.

Marin is a great place: Muir Woods.  Mill Valley.  Sausalito.  The Marin Civic Center.

Berkeley is a fun place (just don't wear red): Telegraph ave.  Or head up towards Memorial stadium and up Centennial into the hills - the UC botannical gardens might have a cool SF backdrop...  Grizzley Peak, Pinehearst...  If you can get into the Claremont Hotel, that would be nice!

Further out...
Santa Cruz.  The beaches along the 1.  Half Moon Bay.  Monterey.  Carmel.

hope this helps...
wish I were back home in SF.

-Martin

Oct 20 05 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

There is a great train tunnel and railroad bridge in Martinez, adjacent to Mt. Wanda Park and directly across Hwy 4 from the John Muir house:

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/rp_photo5.jpg

The grounds of the John Muir house itself would also be great.

Oct 20 05 07:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Zaika wrote:
I am trying to find out if any of the bay area based models, photographers, stylists know of any good outside locations to have a photoshoot. You all would be of great help, I live in the area but don't even know much about great spots besides some parks...

What type of locations?  Gritty,  beautiful,  water,  industrial,  suburban,  dark,  commercial or stock useable,  etc.

Oct 20 05 07:22 pm Link

Model

Zaika

MHana wrote:
What type of locations?  Gritty,  beautiful,  water,  industrial,  suburban,  dark,  commercial or stock useable,  etc.

Any kind of locations that are usable for photoshoots period, would be cool smile

Oct 23 05 11:20 pm Link

Model

Kyle VDZD

Newport Beach, California, US

I'd love to Shoot off Alcatraz....That would be memorable.

Oct 23 05 11:26 pm Link

Model

Zaika

Kyle VDZD wrote:
I'd love to Shoot off Alcatraz....That would be memorable.

A damn good place! Why didn't I think of it?? lol but there probably special tours only to go to Alkatraz sad

Oct 23 05 11:58 pm Link