Forums > Model Colloquy > Fewer Asian models?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I did a browse for all female Asian models in Texas and there was less than a page worth!

Is the a reason for a scarcity of Asian models?

Is it a cultural issue?

Oct 19 05 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

Could be several reasons.  Maybe they aren't listing Asian as their ethnicity?  They could also list it as Other or Pacific Islander, who knows.  Oh, and Arizona has 5 lovely models listed as "Asian".  Do we have you beat?

Oct 19 05 11:10 pm Link

Model

localboyinaz

Phoenix, Arizona, US

there's A LOT of asian models out there. Do you not know that the best import models are asian models? haha... try checkin out a car show in your area. Maybe some of them just don't have internet profiles.

Oct 19 05 11:19 pm Link

Model

nicole123456789

Seattle, Washington, US

im half-asian so im listed under "other"
but im not in texas either

Oct 20 05 03:12 am Link

Model

Chieko

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am also half asian, But look more caucasian so I don't list myself as being asian.... I don't even put an answer! hahah... how do you choose when you are equally both?

as for other models, there are plenty of asian models, just maybe not in your location.
hahah come to hawaii, if you want asian models!

Oct 20 05 03:20 am Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

*blinks* I list myself as Asian. I guess it should be under "other." but most people figure I'm asian anyway. I'm half-asian too.

There are plenty of asian models, for I have SEEEENN them. But I don't know about Texas. I don't live there. tongue

Oct 20 05 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

There's plenty of beautiful Asian models up here in Minnesota..and I love it!

Currently there are three photos on my profile of a gorgeous Asian model that happens to be from Texas...so there's at least one Asian model there! (the girl peeking through the leaves is her)

To answer your question; Yes, it does seem that much of the Asian culture frowns on the modeling industry. Many of the Asians I work with don't want their families to know that they model. But I'm sure there are plenty of Asian models in Texas....keep looking.

Oct 20 05 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

There are a number of them here in the Midatlantic too.  Two of the biggest selling models in my pay-per-view sites are Asian: Carmen and Seven (MM 14435).

Dunno about Texas though.  I'd do a search without the ethnicity and just look at the pictures.  big_smile

Oct 20 05 07:52 am Link

Model

Celine

New York, New York, US

To dedicate your life to modeling is a bit risky, you'd have to be over 5'7, perfect body, to really feels safe...how many asians do you see over 5'7? And in a group of 30 people for the last shoot I had for a nationwide product (Coca-cola) they had me to be the token female asian, and some asian guy. out of 30. so, yeah...getting work isn't as easy. Plus, part of it IS culture--that parents want kids to focus on school, have a steady career, etc... and anything else is viewed upon as a waste of time. I'm lucky. I broke my parents in YEARS ago.

Oct 20 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Seems most Asian models are in California.

Oct 20 05 07:58 am Link

Model

Christine C

Orlando, Florida, US

I broke my parents in years ago too haha -- A lot of the more "traditional" parents push their kids to get jobs in the business, medical, or engineering fields -- the typical Asian stereotype. They think modeling is a waste of time.  It seems like most Asian models are in the import scene -- and just like Celine said above, I'm the token Asian girl in the jobs I get too.

Oct 20 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Car show season is over on the east coast so they've gone in for the winter.. :-)

Oct 20 05 09:14 am Link

Model

Brandy Engle

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Christine C wrote:
I broke my parents in years ago too haha -- A lot of the more "traditional" parents push their kids to get jobs in the business, medical, or engineering fields -- the typical Asian stereotype. They think modeling is a waste of time.  It seems like most Asian models are in the import scene -- and just like Celine said above, I'm the token Asian girl in the jobs I get too.

Well--I'm only half asian but they tried to push me in that direction. Tried.
Yeah import scene is like asian model dime o dozen.
I don't do this as a job really, it's for fun, more hobbyish--I have no real reason to want to go into it fulltime at all.

Oct 20 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

JT Hodges

Austin, Texas, US

JvR wrote:
Seems most Asian models are in California.

Larger Asian population than TX. Look at it more as a percentage of population. Go to Thailand (China, Japan, Phillipines, etc), and there are lots of Asian models.

Car shows in Houston and Dallas (import) is a good place to find Asian models in TX.

Good Luck, Best Wishes.

Oct 20 05 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
I did a browse for all female Asian models in Texas and there was less than a page worth!

Is it a cultural issue?

Sorry, I've been trying to horde them all for myself!

And on a serious note this fine model is from Austin, but she's living in LA...sorry smile  She was also an extra in Sin City.

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/42770523.jpg

Oct 21 05 01:04 am Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Living in Hawaii, I have had the pleasure of working extensively with models of Asian ancestry.  The variety of feminine beauty here, is truly a wonderful thing.  My impression is that women of Japanese and Chinese ethnicity are a bit underrepresented in mainstream modeling, and I wish that more would be involved.  The import scene is fairly active, but those models do not seem to be interested in what I do. tongue

Oct 21 05 04:32 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rp_photo wrote:

Is it a cultural issue?

Cultural issue? No. Issue with all kinds of asshole photographer dudes on the Internet telling them they can't do runway, can't do fashion, can't do blah blah blah? Yes!

lol. i don't know why. maybe, it's just your location?

Oct 21 05 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

rp_photo wrote:

Is it a cultural issue?

Are there fewer Asian models in proportion to the general Asian population in Texas?

Oct 22 05 04:59 pm Link