Forums > Critique > Female Photographer would love to have feedback

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

No I'm not a "traditional" photographer and no I don't strive to have my photos look like everyone elses and no I don't follow all of the "rules"...but would like feedback from those who are creative and who are in the same headspace as I am....as scary as that may be...wink

Oct 23 05 02:16 am Link

Model

Vanessa Purdum

Surf City, North Carolina, US

I like alot of your work..it is different and fun! I love The Monarch! It was beautiful! Just my two cents!

Oct 23 05 02:40 am Link

Photographer

FreshWidows

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

It must be if you wanna have an photographic identity, but it depends market you are targetting, then at this point you must follow some basic rules, it's not easy to nuance that difference.
Antoine

Oct 23 05 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Well heck it looks like your on the right track..

Just keep doin what your doin..

Art is not to impress others ..

its to express yourself...

(:-------

Hj

Oct 23 05 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Well heck it looks like your on the right track..

Just keep doin what your doin..

Art is not to impress others ..

its to express yourself...

(:-------

Hj

I concur
altho if it where me I would be careful with the photoshop filter backgrounds my 2 copper peices

Oct 23 05 03:35 am Link

Photographer

David Bickley

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I agree, ease up on the photoshop filters.  The shot you are using for your avatar is great, just over processed.

Keep it up,

D

Oct 23 05 11:29 am Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Toria wrote:
No I'm not a "traditional" photographer and no I don't strive to have my photos look like everyone elses and no I don't follow all of the "rules"...but would like feedback from those who are creative and who are in the same headspace as I am....as scary as that may be...wink

I like that! Very creative.

Oct 23 05 11:42 am Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

Toria wrote:

I think your shots are actually very traditional in many ways.  I like your result but I am not finding it unique in any way that is standing out for me.  It is different from the unimaginative snapshots called norm because this norm is deviod of imagaination.

I like what I see but was suprised how conservative it really was relative the above claim.  I would like it if you quieted the reteric to something you can live up to until you actually have created something new and unique.

You have added or worked extensively on your backgrounds and backdrops but the photo was very traditional.  So I would describe you as traditional photographer with some non traditional photoshop techniques.

There is not an image in the portfolio which I did not like in some way or another..

Oct 23 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Toria wrote:

I think you have to understand the "rules", so that you then know how to effectively break them.  Its like driving.  The rules keep you from killing yourself.  But once you understand them, you can hit 90mph in a 50mph zone, do U-turns, back outta driveways into traffic...  run red lights late at night...

Also, why do you call yourself a "female photographer"?  I see the description as an unnecessary distraction... I mean - guys don't refer to themselves as "male photographers" per se.

Oct 23 05 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

ProShotPhoto wrote:

I think your shots are actually very traditional in many ways.  I like your result but I am not finding it unique in any way that is standing out for me.  It is different from the unimaginative snapshots called norm because this norm is deviod of imagaination.

I like what I see but was suprised how conservative it really was relative the above claim.  I would like it if you quieted the reteric to something you can live up to until you actually have created something new and unique.

You have added or worked extensively on your backgrounds and backdrops but the photo was very traditional.  So I would describe you as traditional photographer with some non traditional photoshop techniques.

There is not an image in the portfolio which I did not like in some way or another..

Hmmm...thanks...I think...wink

Please don't misunderstand me.  I am in no way saying that I have wandered into some unchartered territory or that I am somehow better or more "unique" than others...however, I have spent a long time trying to do what others tell me I must do to be a photographer.  I have never been comfortable with it and find that now I can break away and feel good about it.  And it actually does feel very good to do something different.

Oct 23 05 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Nello Ryan wrote:

I think you have to understand the "rules", so that you then know how to effectively break them.  Its like driving.  The rules keep you from killing yourself.  But once you understand them, you can hit 90mph in a 50mph zone, do U-turns, back outta driveways into traffic...  run red lights late at night...

Also, why do you call yourself a "female photographer"?  I see the description as an unnecessary distraction... I mean - guys don't refer to themselves as "male photographers" per se.

Hi Nello,

I concur with you that you have to know the rules before you break them.  If you look at my "regular" websites, you will see that I do know the rules.

And, simply put, I called myself a female photographer because I know how other photographers are and felt that I would get a few more comments here if I said I was female.  I see posts go by with never a comment on them...so it was simply a self serving statement.  But heck, it worked, you commented right?  wink 

Oh...and also...when a person says they are a photographer, the natural inclination is to think they are male...that's just the way it is..wink

Oct 23 05 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

You have a good eye, you don't need anyone else's rules.

You are probably your own best critic, you know if you got the effect you wanted better than anyone else.

Be careful that you don't confuse learning with conforming.

Don't believe much of what anyone tells you (including me).

Good luck

Oct 23 05 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Toria, I've always liked your stuff. It's not like others', and you should keep doing what you're doing. If I had a critique, it would be that a couple of shots were photoshopped to a point where my eye was distracted from the mood of the shot to the effect being used. But that's it. And perhaps for you, the manipulation carried out precisely the effect you were looking for. If that's it, I would trust your own instincts more than my comment.

You have great mood, you have different expressions, you take chances. It's eminently wall-worthy. Keep at it.

Oct 23 05 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Marynificent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

my favorites are the ones without extensive PS work.  i am more impressed by photographers who are able to draw you in without artificial looking image modification, but rather interesting placement, lighting, models. 

smile

Oct 23 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Altman Photography Svcs

Lakeland, Florida, US

I like them all with the exception of 8, 12 and 13.  They don't fit the creativity of your portfolio in my opinion.  Also I might not put 2 and 3 together in your port.  It looks like a magic trick to me.  The rest I love and think are very artistic and unique.  I also like the P.S. work.  It's different and that is a good thing sometimes and in your portfolio it fits nicely.

Oct 24 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

Sometimes, the result is really over-processed, but on shots like your water fountain pic and your avatar, it really works. Just work a little more on finding the right processing workflow for each individual image, and how to bring out the best in each, as opposed to doing your favorite tricks on every single image.

You do have a great eye. big_smile

Oct 24 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Toria wrote:
I see posts go by with never a comment on them...so it was simply a self serving statement.  But heck, it worked, you commented right?  wink

Curses!!!  Damn, your evil female trickery to Hell!!!!   

-Actually, doesn't really take much to get me to comment. 
Other traps I've fallen for?  Thread lines mentioning:
Poodles.
Spatulas.
Toilets.
Squirrels.
Small shiny objects
Toothpaste.
and Scuba diving  -just to name a few.

Oct 24 05 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Nello Ryan wrote:

Curses!!!  Damn, your evil female trickery to Hell!!!!   

-Actually, doesn't really take much to get me to comment. 
Other traps I've fallen for?  Thread lines mentioning:
Poodles.
Spatulas.
Toilets.
Squirrels.
Small shiny objects
Toothpaste.
and Scuba diving  -just to name a few.

Ahhhh I'll remember that!  Next time I want to catch attention I will mention somethin like gerbils or air fresheners or rocks...deal?  wink

Oct 24 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipJonesPhotography

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My favs are the one of Larrissa, and the 18+ one.  They're very cool and edgy.  I'm not a fan of the photoshop background in some of your work.  It's a kin to those movies that mix live action and cartoons.  Your photographs on their own are very cool.

Oct 25 05 10:47 am Link

Photographer

johnnycrosslin

Dallas, Texas, US

I love your vision, but like so many others have said - you may want to fine tune your photoshop skills.  Many of your colorful backgrounds would work better if you masked better.  Try using Extensis mask edit pro - or even the background eraser or magic eraser in PS 7.  If you can make those crazy backgrounds a little more tolerable, I think your images will make a statement instead of asking a question.

Oct 25 05 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Great replies all!  I am just starting out with this method and frankly, like it more for myself than the contemporary photography. I hope to keep learning and refining my technique.  I actually LIKE the over-saturated and psychedelic colors and uneven edges.  But, I will continue to take everyone's advice and see what I can come up with..smile

Oct 25 05 12:34 pm Link