Forums > Critique > tear me apart, i love to learn from my mistakes

Photographer

Marynificent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hey homies!  I've recently updated my images and would love for you to offer your staunchest criticism of my work.  be ruthless!  it is the only way that I will ever learn big_smile

Thanks muchly for your time!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxox
marynificent

Oct 23 05 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

GO BACK TO THE BASICS!

actually just kidding. I am not a big fan of ports that have nudity in more than 10% of the images unless it's in 100% of them. but other than that i like your work. you know exactly what you don't like about your own images. the question is can you be honest enough with yourself to face that you need to figure out how to fix those flaws.

Good luck, and once again - Nice work.

Oct 23 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Not boring!!!  That is the first trick.  So many people her are intent on getting "predictable" results.  You give the impression that both you and the subject are involved in the endeavor.  These are photographs of people, not "models." 

As for:

Alexei Fomin wrote:
I am not a big fan of ports that have nudity in more than 10% of the images unless it's in 100% of them.

I can say only, "HUH?"

Oct 23 05 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I don't like what appears to be a coropping requirement i the "Lips to Hips series" images.

Each of the images in this series as so simple and unimaginative it is suprising you devote so much space for them.  Each is so predictable and basicly exact replicas of each other with only a different figure within the shot.

The rest of the images leave me without a basis for critique as they do not seem to have been inteded to meet the generalized criterea of a specific genere.  The only real critisism I might have for them in general is they appear to be taken without any speicifc intention in mind.

Annieee and lorigami.com stand out as your better shots as far as lighting and composition are concerned

Oct 23 05 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Marynificent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

ProShotPhoto wrote:
I don't like what appears to be a coropping requirement i the "Lips to Hips series" images.

Each of the images in this series as so simple and unimaginative it is suprising you devote so much space for them.  Each is so predictable and basicly exact replicas of each other with only a different figure within the shot.

The rest of the images leave me without a basis for critique as they do not seem to have been inteded to meet the generalized criterea of a specific genere.  The only real critisism I might have for them in general is they appear to be taken without any speicifc intention in mind.

Annieee and lorigami.com stand out as your better shots as far as lighting and composition are concerned

thanks for the thoughtful response.  as far as the "lips to hips" series is concerned, they are not cropped, and is actually the awakening stages of a gallery project - idealy, in the end, there will be somewhere around 40 of these images, different body types, etc, blown up and mounted on white walls.  the point will be that you can appreciate these bodies as beautiful and unique without identifying the owner.  the area between our lips and our hips is so sensitive to criticism, and my goal is to show that these differences are indeed beautiful without being ideal.

specific intent is generally more artistic/portraiture though my most recent additions were to highlight the work of two designers, taken for their websites.

thanks again!

Oct 23 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marynificent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Not boring!!!  That is the first trick.  So many people her are intent on getting "predictable" results.  You give the impression that both you and the subject are involved in the endeavor.  These are photographs of people, not "models." 

As for:

I can say only, "HUH?"

thank you, i really appreciate it

Oct 23 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Marynificent wrote:
- idealy, in the end, there will be somewhere around 40 of these images, different body types, etc, blown up and mounted on white walls.  the point will be that you can appreciate these bodies as beautiful and unique without identifying the owner.  the area between our lips and our hips is so sensitive to criticism, and my goal is to show that these differences are indeed beautiful without being ideal.

yeah...  but....  call me crazy, I think they are a bit monotonous in composition and lighting.  Futhermore the lips-to-hips cropping screams out "I'M EMBARRASSED".  Its as if the models were like "OK, ok...  I'll do the damn nude pictures, but only if you don't show my face.  Deal?..."  I don't see these shots as "tributes to the natural body" per se.  I see them as secretive and just slightly insecure -like they were taken in a bedroom closet.      (Which isn't a bad thing!  I might say the same about Nan Goldin, or Araki.  Rather, it'd be an angle that you could 'milk' visually).  But these shots don't extoll the subjects as per your intentions.

I'd suggest you find nude models more comfortable with showing their faces (and bodies).  And also to try spicing up your lighting. 

Nice shots in there, though.
Best of luck

Oct 23 05 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

Nello Ryan wrote:

Marynificent wrote:
-   And also to try spicing up your lighting. 

Best of luck

I'm okay with the cropping, if you make up for the lack of facial expression with much more imaginative. dramitic lighting.  Very flat and monochromatic....if the concept is o show dozens of body types, that could be cool...but you have to work on the lighting, it's not there yet...

eric

Oct 23 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Marynificent

Atlanta, Georgia, US

thanks for all the feedback - i agree about the lighting on those photos, my set-up was rather poor at the time they were taken.  thankfully, i have since upgraded.  it does beg that i remove them from the portfolio and replace them with more technically appealing shots, which i had not previously considered since i happen to like the simple look of the series. 

thanks again for the remarks!

Oct 23 05 07:24 pm Link