Forums > Critique > My first greenscreen images

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Nov 18 05 12:21 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Lots of people are going to reply to this and tell you it looks cool. Because people seem to compliment everything on here.

I tell it like it is.

It's not cool. It's kinda crappy. The perspectives are all off and look a bit silly.

BUT ...

I do see the direction you are going with it, and I think the concept is freakin' awesome and has a LOT of potential. I really think the idea is neat as hell.

... In fact, it's such an interesting and cool concept, I might steal it. Thanks for the inspiration.

smile

Nov 18 05 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Nov 18 05 01:22 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Star wrote:
Also, it should be 16x30 so it is hard to see here, so since Eric is MEAN, MEAN, Mean... and oh yeah MEAN...

Nope. Sorry. It's still crappy. But, like I said, the concept is really awesome.

I'd rather tell you the truth and say, "Crappy results. Brilliant concept."

See, if I tell you it is fantastic, then you'll have no reason to improve. You can just keep making crappy, sub-par images at the same level.

If I tell you the whole idea is awful, then you'll have no reason to continue making them at all. Why forge ahead if the whole concept is a waste of time?

But if I tell you the truth - amazingly cool idea, just not a very good execution - now you have reason to play and work with what you are going for. Improve. Evolve. Advance.

I see lots of potential in your idea ... I think the idea is genius.

Still turned out crappy. But that's okay. The first try is supposed to be crappy.

But keep going. You're on to something ...

Nov 18 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

I kinda have to agree with Eric but I'm nicer - LOL! To me, the photoshop filter effect is what kills it. It makes me think that your chromakey extractions were not that clean and you used a filter to hide it.

If you look at the images, you will see that each are "lit" differently and the tones and contrasts doesn't match from person to person - that is important (to me) for good chromakey. In the image below, the hardest part was getting model's image to match the look and tones of the rest of the image. The other thing I was conscious of was that the model is 5" 11" so I had to depict her as very tall, taller than most people in the image.  While it's not perfect to me, I am using it to illustrate a point. Don't get me wrong, for your first greenscreen, it is very, very good and very cool concept

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/jfiorephoto/Master001.jpg

To get her to match the rest of the photo, I would have to blur her a bit more and boost the contrast. I decided not to because I wanted the focus to be on her. However, I feel that was a mistake and I should blur her to match - I don't think she would have any problem standing out.

Nov 18 05 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

I am dabbling with green-screen as well. I think it is a great experimental technique. To the original  poster, since you asked, I thing this is a great first result. But I also agree with the others that light consistance would help and try to avoid the Photoshop filter look. There are several tools out there for doing this kind of thing. Some are even free. Right Hemisphere recently released its DeepPaint software free for download. Not as pworful as Painter, say, but it has some good features. What I am talking about here is not the greenscreen extraction, but the "photo to oil painting" look, which I have also dabbled with separately and in combination with green screen.

Keep at it, you are off to a good start.

Henry

Nov 18 05 08:58 am Link