Forums > Model Colloquy > About Models being too short :(

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Synergy Canada wrote:
I simply can not believe the different forms of discrimination
I have encountered in this industry.

Height has never been a requirement for me to photograph
anyone or work with or even recommend someone to a client.

Some of the most beautiful women in the World are under 5' 3".

I have worked sittings with gorgeous people who would be
considered too short and they have thrived and found success.

Why is the industry so adamant about height? I see no sense
in precluding any person who presents a compelling presence
or image.

Exceptional beauty is not height dependent.

IT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS

the same reason you have to be 7 lbs.

Nov 19 05 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Mary wrote:
this industry is very discriminatory...

MEWanoDesigns wrote:
Really? Personally, I think there are very marketable short, fat, ugly, and over 40 quite present in the entertainment industry today. Diane Lane, Jack Nicholson, Kathy Bates, Elaine Stritch...?

"This industry" is about modeling.  Your examples are actors.  There is some overlap, but they are very different and require for different qualities.  That's why a lot of shorter models are sick of hearing, "Why not try acting?"

Nov 19 05 12:27 am Link

Model

jK_

Los Angeles, California, US

gah i hate the whole height issue, i stand at about 5'10-5'11 and hope i don't have problems trying to get signed by the big agencies =/

Nov 19 05 05:41 pm Link

Model

Maxtastic

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

I'm 5'4", I was tiny when I was a kid and knew I would never grow up to be taller than short. Guess what? I was right smile My friends that do runway are big enough to eat me for breakfast, so I was pretty damn sure that my place in the industry was not on the runway!

But I met with my agent earlier this week, and he asked me if I had any runway experience, he wanted to send me on a call. I looked at him like he had about 15 heads, but asked him nicely if he thought it might be a waste of time. He said that the height requirements are not as strict as they used to be...

I still think he's a nutball, girls under 5'7" seem to be the exception to the rule, to say the least!

Nov 21 05 12:09 am Link

Model

Akyla

Paramount, California, US

I am actually five even. However, coming from a fashion point of view, there are some outfits that look better on taller people. The smaller details are better seen on someone who is taller, and not too wide.

On the other hand, there are fwe outfits that look like crap on women that are a bit too thin, i.e, most of the women who are considered the "perfect model".An examble of this would be most buisness suits. A woman with some curves is nicer on the eyes than a straight lined woman. I just hope marketers will catch on to this.

Anyway, I hope no one took offense, these are just a few things I have noticed as I have designed and made outfits for a few of my friends and myself.

Nov 21 05 12:25 am Link

Model

Steph M Anie

Harrison Township, Michigan, US

Personally, I like being one of the tall girls... It's rare now-a-days to be tall. It gives me more options and less competition... I'm sure if I was under 5'7" I'd hate the fact you have to be tall to do runway but since I'm not... I'm a big fan!!!! I would love to do print work but put me on the runway and I'd be in heaven for the rest of my life!!!!

Nov 21 05 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

MEWanoDesigns wrote:

Really? Personally, I think there are very marketable short, fat, ugly, and over 40 quite present in the entertainment industry today. Diane Lane, Jack Nicholson, Kathy Bates, Elaine Stritch...?

Tommorow I'm shooting two women 35+, both under 5 ft 7. One's 5 ft tall, even... And I'm thrilled! Does that drop me to GWC status? In some of your eyes, it's likely. Hell, I'm still shooting with Torchiere lamps for lighting with cotton sheet diffusers because I haven't saved enough money yet to buy a basic kit yet. Sometime even I think I qualify for the not-so-endearing title of GWC. But in the back of my mind, I know that it's the outcome of the photo, the talent, and the creativity that counts.

My point is, my view of beauty, of worth, and marketability is vastly different from most people here, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Maybe if the people who set the standards and had power were more open to all forms of beauty, the industry in which we work wouldn't be viewed with such disdain.

She said discriminitory, not that they never get work.
Of course they get work, just not as much work as the "beautiful" people.

Nov 21 05 05:35 am Link

Model

ElizabethTullCurtsinger

Wichita, Kansas, US

Couldn't agree more with this thread! I can see requirements for runway work, but print? No...I don't understand that at all.

Oooh the life of the short girls! (I'm 5' even! lol)

Nov 21 05 05:40 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

My uneducated guess would be that you'd have to make the economic numbers change before you see the use of shorter models on a large scale basis. Go get your mom, your sisters, female cousins, friends to start buying products based upon advertisements using shorter models. Buy only those magazines that use "real" people for their fashion stories. Because the industry is only motivated by what they find "sells" to the largest number of people and if the numbers say that the public respond in greater number to the "tall, thin" fantasy, that's what they're going to provide.  The industry only responds to proven economic indicators.

We, the public with the pocket book, are the economic indicators. So don't blame the "industry" ... we have only ourselves to thank for this cunundrum. (sp?)

Nov 21 05 07:23 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Mayanlee wrote:
My uneducated guess would be that you'd have to make the economic numbers change before you see the use of shorter models on a large scale basis. Go get your mom,

Leave it to my favorite alternative model to understand what this is about.  It is about money.  The people who have the money control the money and they want to make more.  And that is fine.  This is a business.

For those of you who say that there are print jobs a shorter model can do, you are absolutely right.  It goes beyond Playboy as one girl suggested (although the pretty girl market, posters, calendars, Playboy Style Nudes and Maxim Style shooting) have been much less centered on height.

Agents, on the other hand, sign models to get them work.  They sign the models that are statistically the most likely to get enough work the justify the effort.

Fashion/Runway is a no-brainer.  Tall models are what the clients demand and that is the bottom line, whether we like it or not.  There is also a geometry of photography, which makes the long lines of a taller model easier to photograph (although some of that has gone away with the better optics we've developed over the last thirty years).

However, proportions are important for a lot of things.  If you put a 5'9" model in a commercial image with a 5'2" model, she is dwarfed.  If all models are tall, you don;t have to worry about it.  A tall model looks better on a bicycle.  I can go on.

In the end, it is those that hire that control the market and clients typically want models 5'9" or taller for fashion and 5'7" taller for commercial.  They set the rules and we can bellyache about it as much as we want.  Agents will sign the girls they earn the commissions from.

All of that having been said, there are more niche opportunities today for shorter models than there were 20 years ago.  So if you look you will find more places to get booked.

Mary also hit it on the head.  The industry is not an equal opportunity employer.  It is about profit, which is what any business is about.

Good luck to you all.

Nov 21 05 08:06 am Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

fully agree, beauty is not dependent on height, but runway work is. That's the main reason i think for people "discriminating" against short people!!!

Oh, Randy Wyman once wrote a song called "short people have no reason to live"!!!! he later got sued by the association for short people in USA!!

Sincerely
A short man in DC:)smile

Nov 21 05 08:14 am Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Steph;

Unlike Kate Moss... you are not an accident, but the exception to the rule, so, your example is inspiring to many short models, but your are an exception!.

BTW, is your latest movie with 50 Cents out yet?

Later

Udo

Awwww Udo, thanks for your kind words!!!!!!!!!  smile wink
Yes, the movie is out and can you believe I haven't had time to see it yet? I hope my part (scene) wasn't  cut. You know how that works ;( . Needless to say, I had a lot of fun!

Take care my friend.

steph smile

Nov 21 05 08:34 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Let me phrase this another way:

Beauty is not dependant upon height, but a model's marketability in large part is.  There is some work for shorter models (particularly older shorter models), but not a great deal of it. 

The near incessant whining about this industry standard gets very tedious., even to a short girl like me.

Nov 21 05 09:10 am Link

Model

SamiH

Brooklyn, New York, US

< -- 5'0

Nov 21 05 10:57 am Link

Model

Pierce

Kara S. Leung wrote:
Beauty is not common, otherwise it would just be plain... that's why there are your average folk, and your beautiful people, and then your tall and beautiful people.

All jobs are certain qualifications and modeling has its own set of requirements.

Exactly. yet you still get horrid 'tall' models because they are tall.
Sorry, the thread started to irk me. I think its stupid that you have to be tall (dont yell at me now, I know no one cares).
And I think the comment about something like huges noses and stuff was just plain stupid, theres a big difference in short yet beautiful and mishapened.

And I most agree on the starter of the theads veiws. Im not trying to be a fashion/ramp model, I know there isn't a chance, but I see no reason as to why short people shouldn't do photographic stuff.

Nov 22 05 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Height requirements are set by the fashion designers themselves, since it is their whim to see the "perfect" form for their clothes.  5'10" and up for women has always been the standard since the 1930's.  And all agencies have since then used this as a rule.  It is also true for the fact that most designers will make only one sample before making the line and since they would like their work to be it's best, why not get that perfect body.  But I never argue that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes...it all comes down to dollars.

Nov 22 05 04:50 am Link

Model

Nari

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I can see how disconcerting a fashion show would be if there were a dozen models of varying heights (like 5'0 to 5'11"), but why not have a show with beautiful ane/or unique models of different heights as long as the clothes fit  and the girls worked well for the show (let's say 5'1"-5'3" for one show and 5'4"-5'7" for another) as well as the standard 5'9"-5'11"?

Plus size models fashion plus sized clothes.  Why can't truly petite models (under 5'4") fashion their ware? Who changed the fashion world so plus sized modeling became acceptable and commercially marketable?  The petite people have to do the same thing! 

Well, there have been exceptions.  Like Dean Johnson (5'6.5") and Aoki!  High fashion won't change...height will be a requirement....just like you have to get an MD to be a doctor or PhD to be a scientist.  Hope commercial and print photography will change before I get too old!

Nov 22 05 08:39 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I am with you, I am 5'4" I thought I might do better at acting (The actress that played Carla on Cheer's & her husband ...Danny Devito are short.  I don't think this is an issue on film. Height requirement's are usually for high fashion..runway model's, although I have heard of Petite Fashion Runway.
I had to be under 5'6" to be in Petite Style Magazine Of Cleveland.
I came into this knowing I would not be accepted for runway, a few more concern's I had were my age (31 and I have had 3 kid's but I look much younger).
Also, I am petite, proportioned, but I was alway's concerned about my breast size. I later found out even though they are small, like me, they are nice. I have also seen model's almost 40, that looked better than some 20 year old's, it's all genetic's!
Kisses,
MEL

Nov 22 05 08:50 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

pamela mars wrote:
there's a ton of playboy models who are very short and ridiculously gorgeous.
it's a shame that they wouldn't get work outside of "girly" modelling.

I think the breast size requirement is more important here than height LOL!

Nov 22 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

From someone who works in the 'commercial' world of catalog photography all the time I can tell you that models being a specific height and size is more a function of fitting in and looking good in clothing that there are only two samples of in the company.

Nov 22 05 09:37 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

CHIAN wrote:
IT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS

the same reason you have to be 7 lbs.

The average healthy American female is supposed to weigh 5 pound's for every inch over 5 feet. I am 5'4" so to be healthy I am supposed to be 120 lbs. or I am considered underweight. Now that mean's a 5'10" model should weigh 150 pound's to be healthy, yeah right!!!!!!!

I do not take it personaly if I can not get a job because of height.I look at it as
just a casting call and the specification's for the job. If someone is casting for a 17 year old teen for the job and I am 31 then I won't call this age discrimination, that is just the job spec's. If they want a 36 double D      I don't take it personal, that is just what the job call's for and it usually is boob descrimination LOL.........

Kisses,
MEL

I just saw this posted for Fashion Model's!!!!!!!!!!

Requirements:
This isnt personal its business, if you dont meet this criteria for fashion modeling you should try other venues or make modeling a hobby. period.
5'9-6'0 (5'7/5'8 is close, would depend on amazing face/structure but probably wont do runway)
34-24-35 (standard, but varies. chest no bigger than 36c)
toned body, no over-done tan or none (keep it natural to your original skin), healthy skin/hair and prefferebly no tattoes or scars. Of cource in addition you have to have overall beauty, conventional or unique..

Nov 22 05 09:37 pm Link

Model

Mayae

Toledo, Illinois, US

I completely understand why you have to be tall and thin to do runway work. However I cant see why you have to be tall for print work. I know that it is the way it has always been, but I dont really get it. I think that shorter models can be just as marketable as taller models.

Nov 22 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Mayae wrote:
I completely understand why you have to be tall and thin to do runway work. However I cant see why you have to be tall for print work. I know that it is the way it has always been, but I dont really get it. I think that shorter models can be just as marketable as taller models.

If you were an agency, would you want to invest your time and money on one model for runway work and one for print work, or would you rather have one model who could do both?

Yes, shorter models are suitable for print work, but they are less versatile than taller models.

(This, of course, depends on the agency and what kind of work it books.)

Nov 22 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mayae wrote:

Print work has the same limitations as any other type of modeling work.

1) Clothing - the reason why a lot of short models end up in swim, glamour (ie playboy), or acting is because the clothing either doesn't matter or is so minimal it can go on any sized model

2) Planning - If you're picking out clothes, other models, set pieces, etc... for a shoot it all has to come together nicely, and some of it needs to come together before you know who you're shooting.  Knowing how shape/look wise a model will fit in with those things is key, so you're going to pick based on a set of criteria.  If you're an AD and you are looking at 90 models who are 5'10" and 10 that are 5'6" and below, you'll pick one who is 5'10" so that they are interchangeable should something happen and they need to be replaced.

3) Aesthetics - personal opinions aside, the 'look' is based on what sells to the prime demographic...

I'm sure there's others.  And I'm sure there are other reasons, but the bottom line is: you want to be a mainstream model, you need to match the size/weight requirements.  Sorry, but you must be this high to ride this ride.

Nov 22 05 11:34 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

raveneyes wrote:

Print work has the same limitations as any other type of modeling work.

1) Clothing - the reason why a lot of short models end up in swim, glamour (ie playboy), or acting is because the clothing either doesn't matter or is so minimal it can go on any sized model

2) Planning - If you're picking out clothes, other models, set pieces, etc... for a shoot it all has to come together nicely, and some of it needs to come together before you know who you're shooting.  Knowing how shape/look wise a model will fit in with those things is key, so you're going to pick based on a set of criteria.  If you're an AD and you are looking at 90 models who are 5'10" and 10 that are 5'6" and below, you'll pick one who is 5'10" so that they are interchangeable should something happen and they need to be replaced.

3) Aesthetics - personal opinions aside, the 'look' is based on what sells to the prime demographic...

I'm sure there's others.  And I'm sure there are other reasons, but the bottom line is: you want to be a mainstream model, you need to match the size/weight requirements.  Sorry, but you must be this high to ride this ride.

Sorry, but you must be this high to ride this ride.

That was soooooooo funny!
Kisses,
MEL

Nov 23 05 01:53 am Link

Model

kmarcell

Gouverneur, New York, US

HI there well to this topic, i see about short people well that i am here 5"1 and well i cant help my size getting bigger,taller or anything but i do say smaller the better and we are georgous in our own ways and still we look good. to and to go to this site and tell me what you think of me http://www.shutterbug5269.com the pictures i was telling you about. thanks kelly but i havent had anyone turn me down for anything , i need more pictures to ad to my portfolio here and well when i get my new truck here after the new year well it has a step side on it and well i still have to jump into my husbands truck to.i have trouble getting into my cubboard here at home tell me thats a pain in the a... asking for there help. but short is beautiful and i am a sweet person to.thaks guys.

Nov 23 05 07:28 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

This topic gets beaten to death way too often.  Models and photographers can complain all we want to, but we are not the ones that set the rules.  It is the fashion designers, agents, casting directors and producers.

There are opportunities for shorter models but there are many more for those who are taller.

In the end there is a reality there everyone has to accept.  Not many people become super-models and not many people become successful models as well.   There are plenty of roadblocks besides height.

My advice to aspiring models is to stop focusing on the obstacles.  If you are short, that isn't going  to change.  Don't focus on what you can't do, take advantage of what you can.  While the rules may change tomorrow, they are what they are today.

Nov 23 05 11:12 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Yay, Alan!!

Nov 23 05 11:13 am Link

Model

Vanessa_St_Arnaud

Vancouver, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Beauty is not the sole requirement of modeling.

And there are lots of types of modeling that do not require women to be 5' 10".

Thank you!

Dec 01 05 01:16 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Synergy Canada wrote:
Exceptional beauty is not height dependent.

What he said.  Besides, nowadays you see more celebrities on magazine covers and features than you see models... and most celebrities aren't tall, although some can be very beautiful.  Sometimes celebrities rock the runway as a guest model as well. 

I think when a model is JUST a model, height is so crucial.  But when a model has a bigger plan in life and might be interested in singing/acting, and markets herself properly, height is not so much of an issue...

Dec 01 05 04:58 am Link

Model

Rafi S

New York, New York, US

There is a saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." The beholders are people who are with power and money. I wish I was taller, I wouldn't have lost Cavalli campeign, but then again I understand. the taller, the leaner you are the better clothes look, and more details there is to see, the more there is to sell. Then again there is a theory that most of these guys or woman were models, or old timer who just got tired of BS. Then there is the other theory, majority of the fashion executive are of homosexual background. To them beauty is young looking boys. Boys that are beautiful and not follow any gender roles. Boys that are extreemly curby and etched up face. Now look at every big female and male models. What do you have? Great looking young boys!!! wink
By the way I am not homophobic, and certainly admire tons of these people not caring of their sexual personal life. It seems to be true the best men and women in power and in arts are gay.

Dec 01 05 11:16 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Z D E S I G N S

Sarasota, Florida, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
This topic gets beaten to death way too often.  Models and photographers can complain all we want to, but we are not the ones that set the rules.  It is the fashion designers, agents, casting directors and producers.

Well said! As a new designer coming onto the scene of things I will choose a tall girl over a short girl indefinitely to model my designs. Reasoning?

Number one, the clothes hang better, as we all know. It elongates the design, uses more fabric, better flow.

Number two, I'm finding that patterns actually come with the standard length on most dresses/skirts being made for a person who is 5'8" and above. Of course you can alter/shorten the hems and whatnot, but that's a lot of work when you can just make it as is and have a tall girl wear it.

Another advantage for the tall models over the short is their presence. People tend to take you more seriously being tall rather than being short. At least that's been my experience.

Dec 01 05 11:51 pm Link

Model

Bella X

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's just not fair! *throws a pint sized tantrum*

(

Dec 02 05 12:01 am Link

Model

Sweet Emotion 68

Oldsmar, Florida, US

I hear it all the time.............from many Agencies............you are too petite etc etc...........hey every woman is not an Amazon..........look at the gorgeous Oriental women ..........now whats up with this discrimination??...........big things do come in small packages...............Happy Holidays to you all............

Dec 02 05 01:02 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

its depressing to know that height is such a big issue. to be honest. i would love to be printed in fashion, but from what ive been told its just not gonna happen....

i feel some models at 5-10 ( no offense) are just so hideous and too thin that it makes me question what exactly beauty is. I think beauty is a face that can sell, what you can offer to the camera, charisma and your own unquie flair. not height

agencies and stuff need to set certain limitations.. and have no exceptions b.c it gives us short people hope.( kate moss)

Ive personally have dreamed to be printed in BEBE but ive been told my heights a problem. If it is, then so be it, it may halt me, but it wont stop me.

If you have heart, drive and will it can take you a little further then most....rather then someone who gives up. no matter how much we kick and scream, every short model is hoping their the exception and to be quite honest.... i have hope.. and would KILL to be that exception

Dec 02 05 01:08 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Am I the only one who is freaked out that Synergy Canada actually indents his paragraphs?

Dec 02 05 01:13 am Link