Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM: the ideal portrait lens?

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Finally got my 50mm f/1.4 USM lens.  Man this thing is the most insane lens that's a non-L grade glass.  On a digital SLR with the 1.6X crop factor, this lens is quite possibly the ideal portrait lens with such a wide aperture.  The bokeh it produces is quite pleasing and the aperture is perfect for keeping only the face in focus!  Also with this fast of a lens, lighting (as long as it's white) is a non-issue.

Any other photographers here have any opinions?

Nov 26 05 02:57 am Link

Photographer

John Pringle

New York, New York, US

I tend to like my 85 1.2L or TS 90 for headshots. The 135 2.0L is better but a little tight. My 200 1.8L is awesome, but I do not use it that much.

Nov 26 05 03:07 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It's my absolute favorite lens ever.  That I can afford.

Once caveat; because it does not have true USM (it uses a slightly smaller, cheaper mechanism) the autofocus is prone to breaking.  Mine went through a LOT of HEAVY use over a year and a half or so before it went out, then, after I had it repaired, it lasted another 6 months.  At that point, because my budget was very tight, I decided that it would be more cost efficient to go for the 50mm f/1.8 than to get it repaired again.

But I still love it.  The 1.8 is a fine lens, and it's the best value in photography (well, it's neck and neck with the $1.48 Kodak's Most Basic Book of 35mm Photography, although that's most valuable in the beginning stages of learning photography) but I still love and miss my 1.4.

Nov 26 05 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
It's my absolute favorite lens ever.  That I can afford.

Once caveat; because it does not have true USM (it uses a slightly smaller, cheaper mechanism) the autofocus is prone to breaking.  Mine went through a LOT of HEAVY use over a year and a half or so before it went out, then, after I had it repaired, it lasted another 6 months.  At that point, because my budget was very tight, I decided that it would be more cost efficient to go for the 50mm f/1.8 than to get it repaired again.

But I still love it.  The 1.8 is a fine lens, and it's the best value in photography (well, it's neck and neck with the $1.48 Kodak's Most Basic Book of 35mm Photography, although that's most valuable in the beginning stages of learning photography) but I still love and miss my 1.4.

Thanks... FYI, tip if you're going for the f/1.8.  Dig around for the 50mm f/1.8 MK I (mark 1).  They have metal mounts unlike the current mark II.  They sell roughly $150 used (since they're discontinued and very hard to get).  These rarely ever break.  I had one until I upgraded to this one as the bokeh is soooo much sweeter.

Nov 26 05 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

John Pringle wrote:
I tend to like my 85 1.2L or TS 90 for headshots. The 135 2.0L is better but a little tight. My 200 1.8L is awesome, but I do not use it that much.

Yeah, I love those L's but with my budget I can only afford to RENT those multiples of $1,000 dollar lenses.  smile

Psst, if you ever wanna "dump" and L's and sell me some, wink

Nov 26 05 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

lol why are both of you NY'ers up so late anyways.  I thought I was the only insomniac.  smile

Nov 26 05 03:29 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

Bokeh is not one of those words I'm comfortable saying out loud in mixed company - but just between you, you, you and me, it really is punk on the 1.8. That's the only thing that keeps me wanting to borrow or buy the 1.4, but I can't talk myself into dropping  the dough on another 50mm. Especially since the bokeh (and cereal box prize construction) is the only issue for me. If I avoid creating specular highlights, I'm perfectly content*.

*that's patently false. I am not now, nor have I ever been, perfectly content with any piece of equipment I've been able to afford.

Nov 26 05 03:33 am Link

Photographer

fitpix

Prospect, Ohio, US

Still prefer the a longer focal length, around 100mm or so. The cropping factor doesn't change the perspective, and I like the prespective better on the 100 mm (or so). Just hate being backed up against a wall when in a tight space! I have the 50 1.8 and do use it when working with existing light or doing portraits in the old Hollywood style and want some narrow DoF. Agree though, 50 1.4 is a fantastic lens!

Nov 26 05 03:40 am Link

Photographer

David Velez

New York, New York, US

This thread is so awesome!
I'm a Leica, Nikon, Minolta user yet I love and understand the interaction between you as you discuss lenses and bokeh.
I am so glad you have done so.
Thank you! We need more threads like this!
NY'ers are always up- I write this at 445 Am ;-)
Cheers!
David

Nov 26 05 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

I dont have the 1.4 version. How sharp is your copy wide open?

Nov 26 05 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

FYI, here's an in-depth comparison of the EF 50mm f/1.4 and the f/1.8:

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

Nov 26 05 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Muevelo NYC Productions wrote:
On a digital SLR with the 1.6X crop factor, this lens is quite possibly the ideal portrait lens with such a wide aperture.  The bokeh it produces is quite pleasing and the aperture is perfect for keeping only the face in focus!  Also with this fast of a lens, lighting (as long as it's white) is a non-issue.

still too short of a focal length for my taste.  I still use my 70-200 f2.8 on a monopod, or my 28-75 f2.8 (@75mm) for most of my portrait work.  i have the 50 1.8, and barely used it.

Nov 26 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

Finally got my 50mm f/1.4 USM lens.  Man this thing is the most insane lens that's a non-L grade glass.  On a digital SLR with the 1.6X crop factor, this lens is quite possibly the ideal portrait lens with such a wide aperture.  The bokeh it produces is quite pleasing and the aperture is perfect for keeping only the face in focus!  Also with this fast of a lens, lighting (as long as it's white) is a non-issue.

Its ok for full lenght shots but for headshots I use the 70-200 2.8 L smile

Nov 26 05 09:19 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Gary L. wrote:
i have the 50 1.8, and barely used it.

If you're looking to get rid of it I'm in the market!  I've been looking to get some good primes.

Nov 26 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Gary L. wrote:
still too short of a focal length for my taste.  I still use my 70-200 f2.8 on a monopod, or my 28-75 f2.8 (@75mm) for most of my portrait work.  i have the 50 1.8, and barely used it.

Gary, is your 28-75 2.8 the Tamron XR DI? (I have one and like it a lot).

I can't seem to use my 70-200 2.8 in my studio but I use it shooting live burlesque and it works well there since I'm 25 feet away from the stage.

Nov 26 05 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

raveneyes wrote:

If you're looking to get rid of it I'm in the market!  I've been looking to get some good primes.

At $75, there's no reason not to get it. 

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AF.html

Nov 26 05 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
At $75, there's no reason not to get it. 

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AF.html

Thanks for the link Brian, but do you know the difference between the US version and the Gray market lens?
The US version is only $5 more

"Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Gray Market"

Nov 26 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Thanks for the link Brian, but do you know the difference between the US version and the Gray market lens?
The US version is only $5 more

"Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Gray Market"

The grey market version was made for sale outside of the US, so it's cheaper, but it doesn't come with a manufacturer's warranty.  But that's okay because Adorama (and other reputable sellers like B&H) cover it for you.  Here's what they have to say about it:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=f … formation:

Nov 26 05 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
The grey market version was made for sale outside of the US, so it's cheaper, but it doesn't come with a manufacturer's warranty.  But that's okay because Adorama (and other reputable sellers like B&H) cover it for you.  Here's what they have to say about it:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=f … formation:

Thanks, I guess I'll get one in a few mins (eBay actions ending soon)

Edit:

Snip from Adorama:

Product Warranties:
All new merchandise bought from Adorama are genuine, authentic and of consistent high quality and value. All items are warranted by either the manufacturer's warranty or if it is Grey market equipment it will be covered by Adorama for one year from date of shipment

EDIT UPDATE:
I can buy the US version locally (Glazers) for the same price and pick up the roll of gaffers tape I need as well. Shipping from Adorama would be $10, which is the same as tax on the two products I'm buying.
I'll support the local shop on this purchase.

Nov 26 05 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

It's a great lens, good for body shots especially but it's really pretty versatile...very crisp and very fast focus, it's something I think most photographers need in their bag.

Nov 26 05 11:11 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Personally in 35mm format I prefer my 50 and 85mm f/1.4 Zeiss Planars, for Hasselblad the 120mm f/4 Makro-Planar, the 140 f/2.8 Planar on Contax and the 165mm f/2.8 on the Pentax 6x7 (this one doesn't get enough press).

Yeah, I use a Canon 50mm f/1.4 on my EOS 3 and 10D as well. It's a pretty good lens.

Nov 26 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

RobHowardStudios

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, US

Almost 100% of what I posted on Model Mayhem is shot with that same lens. Even when I try not to use it, it still ends up the star of the shoot.

LOVE THAT LENS!

Nov 26 05 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Perspective is a bit wide for portraits, least for my tastes. Try the 85 1.8. The USM version. For the price it is a great lens.

Since shooting full frame again, I am preferring the 135 f2. I got one used for a good price and it is awesome. Sharp as hell wide open.

The 50 1.4 is nice too. I need to get one ( I used the 1.8 ). The last 1.4 I had wasnt sharp enough until f2, but for night work and low light work, and things where sharpness isnt a factor, its a great lens.

Chip

Nov 26 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Notce that not ONE model has responded to this thread?

"I love images of me that were shot with the 50mm f/1.4 lens!"

Nope. You never hear that, do you?

P.S. I have the 50mm f/1.8 and love it. I'm sure the f/1.4 is the shit AND the bees knees.

Nov 26 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I'm usually pretty quiet on the makeup and pilates threads... wink

Nov 26 05 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

I thought I was sort of an oddball in this arena but I guess I'm not.

For testing and just about anything I do where someone is getting charged I use almost exclusively my 85mm 1.2/L or my 50mm 1.8.

$1700 lens and a $75 lens, it's wierd when you think about it.  Granted, I can tell the difference, and I don't dare open the 50mm up all the way (does great at 2.2 though), but the client generally can't.

Seems kinda wierd when you think about it, it's interesting to see there are a fair number of other shooters doing the same or similar thing though.

Andy

Nov 26 05 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

RobHowardStudios wrote:
Almost 100% of what I posted on Model Mayhem is shot with that same lens. Even when I try not to use it, it still ends up the star of the shoot.

LOVE THAT LENS!

Mine is split

75% of my shots are with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and the rest are with 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS.

Nov 26 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
I thought I was sort of an oddball in this arena but I guess I'm not.

For testing and just about anything I do where someone is getting charged I use almost exclusively my 85mm 1.2/L or my 50mm 1.8.

$1700 lens and a $75 lens, it's wierd when you think about it.  Granted, I can tell the difference, and I don't dare open the 50mm up all the way (does great at 2.2 though), but the client generally can't.

Seems kinda wierd when you think about it, it's interesting to see there are a fair number of other shooters doing the same or similar thing though.

Andy

Single sharpest lens I own is the 45mm f/2 Planar for Contax G series. It's less than about $400 new and I got used mine with a body and a flash for $400 total, and it weighs a few ounces. Sharper than any of the $1000 to $2000 and up (and much larger) lenses I've got.

Nov 26 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Marko,

Dont make me have Contax G withdrawls.

Those lenses are phemomenal.

But, Canon Glass is near as good, and most people cant tell the differene anyhow. I have had some stuff published using a cheap Canon 50 1.8. Some with the Expensive 85 1.2L.

Gotta keep in perpective, you can shoot pure junk with expensive glass easy. You can shoot pure beauty with a holga too, if you do it right.

Tools they all are.

Nov 26 05 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Craig Thomson wrote:

I can't seem to use my 70-200 2.8 in my studio but I use it shooting live burlesque and it works well there since I'm 25 feet away from the stage.

yes, i have the Tamron lens, and it's bloody sharp and I love it to death.  I use my 70-200 f2.8 outside, where i have the space.  The Tamron is used for inside work.

Nov 26 05 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Chip Willis wrote:
Gotta keep in perpective, you can shoot pure junk with expensive glass easy. You can shoot pure beauty with a holga too, if you do it right.

Tools they all are.

So true.

Nov 26 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

SFR

San Jose, California, US

I shoot most of my stuff with my 85 f/1.2L and I love it. I shoot a lot at 1.2, I love the tight focus and sharpness. I wouldn't say all, but most of my photos here on MM are shot with that 85 1.2L.

I would also add that the 50 1.4 does suffer a little bit from barrell distortion, especially when used on a full frame body. I didn't noticed this problem on the 20D but did on my 1DsMarkII

I used to love that 50mm 1.4 when I was shooting with my 20D, but when I upgraded to full frame and 1DsMarkII, I don't find them a good match and the 85 1.2L is really the best one for it for portraits and a lot of fashion. Exceptionnally I do some portraits with the 70-200 f/2.8L, it is a pretty good lense as well, but I would admit that since having the 85, I don't use that 70-200 much anymore.

Nov 26 05 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

Gary L. wrote:
yes, i have the Tamron lens, and it's bloody sharp and I love it to death.  I use my 70-200 f2.8 outside, where i have the space.  The Tamron is used for inside work.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Nov 26 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

It's ok for a 1.6 format camera.. My favorite for portrait / head shots is my 135mm f2.0 L The "working distance" is perfect for me.. not too far away, not too short..

' Right now, I am shooting mainly full frame for that kind of work... so when I was shooting the 1.6 format, the 85mm f1.8 was the more "ideal" for that shooting situation, but when compared to a full frame and the 135mm lens,...even though the area of coverage is darn near the same, the 85mm doesn't come close..

The 50mm on it's own, on a FF body, is one of my favorite lenses for full length & 3/4 in my studio.. however, when I am on location, I go as long as I have room and "communication" between me & the model.. those long lenses can set you back a ways from them, but the results are stunning!

50mm f1.4 on FF body
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=436d721d01545

135mm f2.0 L on 1.6 format body
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42ffb9e8b9722

135mm f2.0 L on FF body
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4365396e3b639

300mm f2.8 L on 1.6 format body
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42f6a8522ed99

Regardless,...the 50 f1.4 is a darn good lens to have in your bag! smile

JP

Nov 26 05 10:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Charcoal Artist

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I got my 50mm f1.4 a couple of days ago,  I'm taking it for a test drive on a beach shoot tomorrow morning.    If I get a chance I'll try to shoot the same pose with the 50mm f1.8 for comparison.

P.S I'll be selling my f1.8  which is about 2 months old.

Nov 26 05 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Charcoal Artist wrote:
I got my 50mm f1.4 a couple of days ago,  I'm taking it for a test drive on a beach shoot tomorrow morning.    If I get a chance I'll try to shoot the same pose with the 50mm f1.8 for comparison.

P.S I'll be selling my f1.8  which is about 2 months old.

keep it as a backup. Are you in desperate need for $50?  That's how much a 50 1.8 like new lens is worth.

Nov 27 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

easyonthe eyes wrote:
Bokeh is not one of those words I'm comfortable saying out loud in mixed company - but just between you, you, you and me, it really is punk on the 1.8. That's the only thing that keeps me wanting to borrow or buy the 1.4, but I can't talk myself into dropping  the dough on another 50mm. Especially since the bokeh (and cereal box prize construction) is the only issue for me. If I avoid creating specular highlights, I'm perfectly content*.

*that's patently false. I am not now, nor have I ever been, perfectly content with any piece of equipment I've been able to afford.

I know what you mean man...  This review made me a believer:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

Nov 27 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Bruce Muir wrote:
I dont have the 1.4 version. How sharp is your copy wide open?

Extremely.  I comared it to my friend's zoom L lens at 50mm and it's nearly impossible to compare as they look identical, except that the 1.4 will give you much better bokeh!

Nov 27 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Gary L. wrote:

On a digital SLR with the 1.6X crop factor, this lens is quite possibly the ideal portrait lens with such a wide aperture.  The bokeh it produces is quite pleasing and the aperture is perfect for keeping only the face in focus!  Also with this fast of a lens, lighting (as long as it's white) is a non-issue.

Yeah, if I need to get longer focal length, I can revert back to my Sigma 70-300 APO DG which is what I used for the B&W headshots in my portfolio.  But I wanted something where I didn't have to be 15 feet away to take a nice headshot.  LOL  Shooting in NYC is annoying because people are jerks and will literally walk in front of you even if they can clearly see that you're shooting photos.

Craig Thomson wrote:

28-75 2.8 the Tamron XR DI is next on my to buy list...

For those looking for 50mm f/1.8 MK II, I suggest digging around ebay for the MK I which will sell for $150 (yes costs more used than a new MK II), but that's becuase the MK I is metal mount vs. plastic mounts on the MKII (thus will last you a lot longer)

Gray market lenses generally will give you harder time getting warranty work done.  With the 50mm primes they're a 1 in 1,000 chance that the autofocus may be screwed up and will need to be returned.  With adorama though you can always hand it back and get a new one though, so it's no big deal.

For the guy selling the 1.8, don't.  It's not going to get you much used, but if you keep it, it'll pay off as a backup or if you want to use it for reverse macro on the 50 f/1.4 using a double reverse filter thread.

Just ordered the Kenko extension tubes using the paypal coupons I just posted up, so that I can take macro shots of this mini lego greenwich village I'm making.  So far I have the washington square arch done, and now working on the cube on Astor Place.  I have over 150 lego mini figures (although only 4 of them are women, but hey its the village).  Should be a fun project for me.

Wow this thread turned out better than what i thought it would be.  It's about time we get some hardcore photography talk on here!  smile

Nov 27 05 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

It's the only lens I shoot with and everything in my portfolio is taken with that lens. It worked fantastic on my 20D. I have a FF now and would LOVE an 85mm f/1.2L but I'm not likely going to drop 1.5 grand on that anytime soon. Nor am I willing to sacrifice a full stop by purchasing an 85mm f/1.8, (stopped down that lens would do great though).

-TMH

Nov 27 05 03:50 pm Link