Forums > Model Colloquy > How much does it cost to model for money??

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

PYPI wrote:

BianaNewYork wrote:
haha, they still told me to wear heals anywere I go.  Apparently, in the modelling industry, I am short.  My feet hurt like hell because I had to wear heals to school today because I have an audition right after school.

I'm guessing it might be because heels give her a better body line and posture. Also gives a more elegant walk than flats.

Correcto-mundo!!

Sep 28 07 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Cassiopeia wrote:
For models who are signed or are getting paid for their shoots . . .

What was your initial investment into modeling, getting your portfolio and whatever else you needed to actually get signed??

I know they say you should never pay a company to get you out there and what not, but I've also heard that to get yourself out there requires a lot of investment of time and money.

How much does it really cost you, before you start actually making?

Is really impossible to answer that question, really.  It's different for everybody.  There are so many factors to be accounted for.  I believe that one must understand that it will require both time and money.  In this case just like in business, the Time = Money = Quality equation comes to mind.   When you alter any of the components you will effectively alter all.

Luck or better yet, timing plays a big factor.  Always go for the opps that will get you the largest ROI.

IMHO

Sep 28 07 12:08 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Yup.  As Tx noted tho, the experience thing is an internet creature.  At 5'2", you're probably never really going to be working with an agency so getting experience other ways can be a good selling & marketing tool for yourself in the glamour market you're well suited for.

I am completely ok with not getting into an agency. I'm not going to have false hopes and say "oh I'm going to get in" I really don't believe I ever will. I will take modeling as far as I can on my own. That's all I really can do.

Sep 28 07 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:

I am completely ok with not getting into an agency. I'm not going to have false hopes and say "oh I'm going to get in" I really don't believe I ever will. I will take modeling as far as I can on my own. That's all I really can do.

I agree with both postings - If you are 5'2", you better be 10 years old.  A poser agency may take you, but not a real agency unless you are glib and give them $$$.

Sep 28 07 12:17 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

herblish wrote:

I agree with both postings - If you are 5'2", you better be 10 years old.  A poser agency may take you, but not a real agency unless you are glib and give them $$$.

I'm not 10 years old. I'm 21. And I said I'm not looking to be with an agency. No need to get rude on me.

Sep 28 07 12:18 pm Link

Model

SDmodel

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Im currently saving up for a test shoot on a list of photographers given to me by next (not accepted)  but I am sending  more snapshots to agencies soon.  I also invested in TFP and I'm going to pay for a gym to stay in good shape. I have to get my hair redone every 2-3 months. I just lost my job so trying to pay for all these things is kind of hard right now especially at 16 during slow season. Hopefully it pays off.

Sep 28 07 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

H E R B L I S H

Orlando, Florida, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:

I'm not 10 years old. I'm 21. And I said I'm not looking to be with an agency. No need to get rude on me.

I did not mean to get rude with you particularly.  I just used the 5'2" height as an example of how cut throat the business is.  There are other factors, but that is a big factor and the taller you are the more you factor.  That's a reality.  However in your case, the fact of being very cute and proportionate to your size, helps tremendously.  I am sure that within your experience and personality you have picked up quickly the ins and outs of what it is that you can the best and help yourself achieve your set goals.

IMHO

Sep 28 07 12:41 pm Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:

That's the way it is with most major agencies.  Assuming you walked in with a great book they'd still probably want you to throw it out if you actually meet their criteria.
If you go to sites for agencies like Ford or Wilhelmina (where Bianca is signed) and look at their submission guidelines, they want 4 basic snapshots...face with no makeup & hair pulled back, and 3 angles full length body against plain wall or backdrop preferably in a bathing suit.
That's ALL they want to see.
They actively discourage professional photos for submission.

so is it just a waste of time trying to build a portfolio?  i mean what's the point if agancies dont want them??

Sep 28 07 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

tuere wrote:
so is it just a waste of time trying to build a portfolio?  i mean what's the point if agancies dont want them??

If the purpose of a portfolio is to get an agency, then yes, it is a waste of time to build a portfolio.

If the purpose is to have a lot of pretty pictures that you are proud of, then of course it makes sense to "build a portfolio".

If the purpose is to get work from clients who expect to see portfolio, then it makes sense to build a portfolio.  However, most commercial clients don't need a portfolio; for those who do, it's unlikely that you will build one that will impress them without agency guidance.

Sep 28 07 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

tuere wrote:

You're 25, 5'4", and 145 pounds.
The chances of you finding an agency are virtually nil.
The advantage for you in having a god port would be that it might help you self-market as a glamour model.

Sep 28 07 01:54 pm Link

Model

SDmodel

SLE Photography wrote:

The advantage for you in having a god port would be that it might help you self-market as a glamour model.

she doesnt want an agency.

Sep 28 07 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Shernide wrote:
she doesnt want an agency.

She asked if it was a waste of time to build a book if agencies weren't interested.  I responded that it wouldn't matter in her case since agencies wouldn't be interested regardless.
It was simply an answer to the question asked  smile

Sep 28 07 02:06 pm Link

Model

tuere

Baltimore, Maryland, US

SLE Photography wrote:

i don't think in any way that i can be some type of high fashion model.  i do however think i have potential to make it in some way shape or form.  aren't there people who look for more than just 6ft 105 lb women?  i see many ads with everyday people.  they are not represented by agencies?

Sep 28 07 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Patrickth

Bellingham, Washington, US

BianaNewYork wrote:

Um, I never even made a concious decision to model, it just kind of happened, I looked for things on craigslist, send them some of my "home pictures" some people liked me, some didn't.  It was actually at an audution for something I found on craigslist that I got sent to Wilhelmina.

You are a very sensible person. I have been trying to tell people it is important to have a very basic set of pictures to show the pro's.  They will decide what to do next and with whom.

Good job and good luck.

Sep 28 07 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

tuere wrote:
i don't think in any way that i can be some type of high fashion model.  i do however think i have potential to make it in some way shape or form.  aren't there people who look for more than just 6ft 105 lb women?  i see many ads with everyday people.  they are not represented by agencies?

They are represented by agencies.  However, they are also almost always taller and slimmer than you are, unless they are specifically "character models".

Be that as it may, if you want to get an agency, go right ahead and apply.  Do it now.  As we said above, no portfolio is required.

Sep 28 07 02:14 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

herblish wrote:

No!  5'10" is short in today's world.

Interesting.  I'm only 5'10 3/4", but most of my life I've felt like an overly tall freak in today's world.  I will be glad to see 5'10" as short.  I've always wanted to be a cute short girl!!

Sep 28 07 02:15 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

if 5'10 becomes the new "short"... I'm screwed.

Sep 28 07 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

tuere wrote:

Not saying you can't make it in SOME fashion.
Just saying it probably won't be via an agency.
Even for the more commercial/catalog type work, people are at least 5'6".
You might find some work in other venues like urban fashion, urban men's magazines (King type stuff), or by self marketing as a glam/art model.
There's always a CHANCE you could pick up some commercial agency work but it's a very SMALL chance an they don't care about a fancy portfolio.

Sep 28 07 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
if 5'10 becomes the new "short"... I'm screwed.

A couple of years ago I got a call from Jean Paul Gaultier's office.  They were casting for an upcoming campaign and wanted models.  Insisted that the models had to be 5'11" tall.  No shorter.

It happens.

Sep 28 07 02:20 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
Well that's very lucky of you.

But us short models don't have it so lucky. We have to work a million times harder to get anywhere.

I must say I am one of those lucky ones.  Just under 5'11".  I have wide hips but I think I have a nice body.  Although right now I seem to be working at it like everyone else.  Would anyone recommend going down to L.A. and walking into an agency?  Maybe bring along a few snapshots? 

Think I have a chance?

Oh, if you think I better lose a bit of weight first, just say it, it's music to my ears smile

Sep 28 07 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

TXPhotog wrote:
You may be surprised to find the wide range of things that even excellent, Top Ten model agencies charge their models for, and make a profit on.

God... I wish I would have saved that cartoon...

THINK: Two farmers fighting over a cow. One tugging on the halter, one tugging on the tail and... in the middle... a lawyer milking it. Could just a soon be re-labelled an agency.

Studio36

Sep 28 07 02:23 pm Link

Model

Brant R

New York, New York, US

Tall is good for men also but proportions must be to fit more common sizes. I'm 6'3" with 30 in. waist, 37 in. arms (my arms are toooo long!)

Sep 28 07 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Patrickth

Bellingham, Washington, US

Cassiopeia wrote:

I must say I am one of those lucky ones.  Just under 5'11".  I have wide hips but I think I have a nice body.  Although right now I seem to be working at it like everyone else.  Would anyone recommend going down to L.A. and walking into an agency?  Maybe bring along a few snapshots? 

Think I have a chance?

Oh, if you think I better lose a bit of weight first, just say it, it's music to my ears smile

Just comming to your comment here I would say you should find a local photographer that will make you look like an adult. I see high school year book pictures and I see someone with scoliosis or kyphosis. I am not trying to insult you, but to go see an agency, you need to get past the concept of your portfolio and show your face and body, straight on, no tricks.

Only then would a visit to an agency help you out in my opinion.

Sep 28 07 02:26 pm Link

Model

SDmodel

TXPhotog wrote:

A couple of years ago I got a call from Jean Paul Gaultier's office.  They were casting for an upcoming campaign and wanted models.  Insisted that the models had to be 5'11" tall.  No shorter.

It happens.

well jeez, i thought it was a bad thing when the doctors told me i was probably going to be 5'11 when i was done growing,  but i guess 5'10 is "short" LOL not.

i feel like a giant when i'm in my high school, though people in florida are taller then when i was in Georgia. guess its the heat.

Sep 28 07 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cassiopeia wrote:

Think I have a chance?

Cassiopeia wrote:
Height:      5' 11"
Weight:     160 lbs
Measurements:     38-28-38

More than a bit of weight.  I'd guess at least 20 pounds, probably 30.

Sep 28 07 02:28 pm Link

Model

SDmodel

TXPhotog wrote:

Cassiopeia wrote:

Think I have a chance?

More than a bit of weight.  I'd guess at least 20 pounds, probably 30.

she could do plus size modeling? her measurements are on point for that right?

Sep 28 07 02:30 pm Link

Model

Brant R

New York, New York, US

I'm 4 in taller, a man, and in my late 30s and I only weigh 7 lbs more than her. Something is VERY WRONG with her weight.

Sep 28 07 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shernide wrote:
she could do plus size modeling? her measurements are on point for that right?

No, for that she'd have to gain about 20 pounds.

Sep 28 07 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Neverclock

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Whatever it is, its less then what good photographers need to spend to get their work going most of the time.

I've spent about $8000 give or take, never mind props and other disposable things. Thats chump change. For us as well, the resources fade and need to be replaced, upgraded. This is why the models pay us for great port work, else they try many, many TF shoots and hope they get something usable.

Sep 28 07 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brant R wrote:
I'm 4 in taller, a man, and in my late 30s and I only weigh 7 lbs more than her. Something is VERY WRONG with her weight.

Although I stated the needed changes in terms of weight loss (since that is the way she phrased the question), I didn't make my judgment based on weight as stated, but on stats, which look to be roughly correct compared to her pictures.

Sep 28 07 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Neverclock wrote:
Whatever it is, its less then what good photographers need to spend to get their work going most of the time.

I've spent about $8000 give or take, never mind props and other disposable things. Thats chump change. For us as well, the resources fade and need to be replaced, upgraded. This is why the models pay us for great port work, else they try many, many TF shoots and hope they get something usable.

Paying for work has nothing at all to do with anybody's investment.  It has to do with the value (if any) of the pictures produced.

A point of reference:  Not all that many years ago, Steven Meisel didn't own a camera or a studio.  It's entirely possible that he doesn't own either now.  He just rents them as needed.  No investment in equipment at all.  And yet somehow he gets all those Vogue editorials . . . .

Sep 28 07 02:35 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

San Francisco, California, US

Cassiopeia wrote:
For models who are signed or are getting paid for their shoots . . .

What was your initial investment into modeling, getting your portfolio and whatever else you needed to actually get signed??

I know they say you should never pay a company to get you out there and what not, but I've also heard that to get yourself out there requires a lot of investment of time and money.

How much does it really cost you, before you start actually making?

Cass you pay no matter what .... I am signed with ford models . my agency paid for the initial start up  stuff like photographers and comp cards but you have to pay it back. After you work it off you start making money. they pretty much give you money for developing your look and you pay it all back, for me I was even with ford after my first job. two shoots @ $250 each comp cards @ $350 I have several styles  something like that. I am still developing so I will probably need  more stuff that cost at some point to update my look.  you sign a contract so if you quit you still owe this money. keep in mind each girl is different some will book jobs that can be used in their books thus needing less money . I think agencies like mine prefer girls with lil to no experienced unless you are just switching agencies and you look interest them this way that can market you how they see fit.

Sep 28 07 02:39 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

Cassiopeia wrote:

Think I have a chance?

my profile here is out of date but i had  almost 36 in hips when I first signed ...... lol they dont like 36 in hips for 5'11 ,6'0, or anything. trust me

Sep 28 07 02:46 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

Brant R wrote:

Damn, okay, maybe good for me to hear . . .

I always have people telling me I'm very skinny, and actually when I look at myself I seem skinny, just a bit of love handles maybe.  I guess the problem is "real world" skinny and "modeling world" skinny.  Perhaps.  But seriously, VERY WRONG??  Are you saying I'm obese??

I once dated a guy who was 6'4" and 135lbs.  It was weird.

Sep 28 07 02:47 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

Yasmineamali wrote:

my profile here is out of date but i had  almost 36 in hips when I first signed ...... lol they dont like 36 in hips for 5'11 ,6'0, or anything. trust me

So they told you to lose weight then??  Did they tell you how to do it?  How did you get down to 125lbs.??  I'm sure you're naturally pretty lean . . but how did you get down to what the agency needed you at???

Sep 28 07 02:48 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

TXPhotog wrote:

No, for that she'd have to gain about 20 pounds.

Thank you.  That makes me feel a little better.

Sep 28 07 02:49 pm Link

Model

Cassiopeia

Bend, Oregon, US

Patrickth wrote:

Just comming to your comment here I would say you should find a local photographer that will make you look like an adult. I see high school year book pictures and I see someone with scoliosis or kyphosis. I am not trying to insult you, but to go see an agency, you need to get past the concept of your portfolio and show your face and body, straight on, no tricks.

Only then would a visit to an agency help you out in my opinion.

Hmmm yeah okay.  Those pics are very outdated to be honest.  I have several photographers already booked for TFCDs (just hope they actually send the CDs right??).  You may be too far to do photos for me, and I'm guessing you'd want compensation (which I really don't have), but, if you feel like giving advice on what I should tell the photographers I'm meeting with soon, please do!  Greatly appreciated!

Sep 28 07 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cassiopeia wrote:
if you feel like giving advice on what I should tell the photographers I'm meeting with soon, please do!  Greatly appreciated!

You didn't ask me, but let me respond with a question:  what is the purpose of the shoots?

And a followup question:

Is there a good reason, based on their ports and history, to believe they can achieve the purpose?

Sep 28 07 02:58 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

Cassiopeia wrote:

So they told you to lose weight then??  Did they tell you how to do it?  How did you get down to 125lbs.??  I'm sure you're naturally pretty lean . . but how did you get down to what the agency needed you at???

um yeah I didn't really lose much only like 5 pounds or something ... but actually they didnt ask me to lose weight it was more like you HAVE TO thats what they told me. they wanted me to lose it specifically from the hips but im in San Francisco and it not so fashion focused here the market is more forgiving. It was not hard to lose the weight because I had just gotten back from a glutenous month long  vacation in which i gained ten pounds so returning to normal eating habits helped and I ran 3 miles twice a week.

Sep 28 07 02:59 pm Link

Model

Yasmineamali

the only thing my agents could tell me to do was drink more water that all they would say but th

Sep 28 07 03:01 pm Link