Forums > Photography Talk > Do woman photogs get more buisiness than males ?

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Rancho Santa Margarita, California, US

Do woman photogs get more business than men photogs? and if so why?
You might ask why does it matter....

Woman think much differant than men, we all know that...how does that transfere to creating photographs and trust, of the opposite sex
in taking their photograph.

Any experiences ? opinions ?

Dec 02 05 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

No..

Each have thier advantages..

Now a Male-Female Team..

Thats the shit!!

(:-------

Hj

Dec 02 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I would be willing to say that female photographers have it easier than male models. I know of several female model-photographers, but no males.

Dec 02 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

John Swoger

Peoria, Arizona, US

I have a dear friend that is a female model/photographer and I'd have to say the models love working with her. As for getting more work then a male? I think the world still views a males work as having more value then a females. This is by no means a belief of mine. I think your work should speak for itself.

John

Dec 02 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I think it depends on who's work is best and who is the most fun to work with. My favorite photographer in the world is a woman but I love the work of many female and male photographers. As for females liking to work with females better, I do not think that is the case. I have many female friends who love their other girlfriends and would probably trust a female photographer first. But I also have many female friends who have mostly male friends......it's all about who they trust most. I think the first step to getting the ultimate photoshoot is trust. If a female model meets the best of the best (someone like Johnny Crosslin) but does not trust him, it will show in the photos no matter how good he is. fortunately for Johnny, he is an amazing photographer and very trustworthy with the models he shoots. If you can get a package like that, it does not matter what you are.
I think I rambled a bit long on that one.....lol

Dec 02 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Actually, I have found that people who know how to spell and have the rudiments of grammar and punctuation more than you get more done in business. 
Gag!

Dec 02 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Universal Beauty wrote:
Actually, I have found that people who know how to spell and have the rudiments of grammar and punctuation more than you get more done in business. 
Gag!

Who was that directed at?

Dec 02 05 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Key Photography

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Universal Beauty wrote:
Gag!

Amen! I hate those run-on sentences!

Dec 02 05 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I supposed fucked up chicks who can't trust a man would spend their whole life avoiding their particular psychological issue and if that means choosing a woman because of her sex or some gender specific reason rather than a man because of his skills...yeah, the chromosome component of the photographer would make a difference.

As for the "I just feel more comfortable with a woman", I fully understand that.

But you need to undertand that in this male dominated world (when I'm not too busy oppressing those of another race), we get to dictate what we (and when I say "we" I mean "men only") want.  What females want is totally a non-issue.  After all, exept for a shirt and tie, I am just a caveman and I am the embodiment of every male hating sentiment feminazis like to criticize.

But here's the key, men photographers are in greater demand, because the market for the product is controlled by men (once again our dominance over the female is evident).

Smart females quickly figure out that the way to "control" men, is to give them exactly what they want because the vast majority of other women are too busy distrusting us, criticizing us, or foisting their own inadequacies on us.

So what happens is that it goes like this.

Since the market is male dominated and the smart girls figure out to give men what they want, who is the best person to "know" what a MAN wants.

Well, the obvious question is a MAN.  So smart girls go to men, and thus men are busier and more profitable.

Now, I can't expect you to understand this, you being a female and all.

So yes, I think you are right.

Mark

Dec 02 05 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Are you talking in general or collectively?

As you may have guessed, there are more male photographers then there are women shooters, so the male shooters would have a higher (collective) total of clients then the women.

What was the question again?

Dec 02 05 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

On the other hand, I prefer the company of women to men (but only those who don't think I am the root of all evil).

If I was doing nudes, I think I would like to do that with a woman so I could dangle my unit in front of her.

That would of course cause me to be labled a MWT (model with tool).

Female photographers would get on model sites and talk about avoiding the MWT's because we just want to dangle our tools instead of making erective art.

Female photograpers would avoid the MWT's.

Some man in the meantime would figure out that he could see past my package and take my money and let me point my unit in any direction I pleased.

Women photographers (who all think different as you have pointed out) again wouldn't understand why they didn't have any business.

And again, it would be the fault of the damn men.

In the meantime, the guys are getting to shoot all the pretty girls naked.

So I just have one question.

Is a gay photographer better than a male or female, or worse.

If a Lesbian is the topper, does that make her like a LWC (lesbian with camera).

Can only a lesbian make great lesbian photos?

I think not, because once again the lesbian fantasy has been totally (and I mean totally) taken over by men.

We have reached the point that we like 2 chicks who are just "pretending" to be lesbians.

So, who is the best person to take photos of 2 chicks pretending to be lesbians, a real lesbian, or a man who simply has a lesbian fantasy?

If the photo is to please the man's lesbian fantasy, then once again the man.

The real lesbian of course would be on to the ruse and it would totally ruin the vibe, and once the vibe is gone, well.....

I have a dog portrait setting this weekend.

Should I bring my dog in and let him push the shutter and maybe sniff the other dog's ass (as is the custom).

Mark

Dec 02 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Does the fact that I am white mean I can't shoot those of another color (after all, I have no cultural knowledge) and again, because I have been busy opressing them and the women.

When I'm not too busy oppressing those lower on the ladder, I am constantly supervising the maid who I require to polish the glass ceiling at least thrice a week in a maid uniform.

But that gets me thinking that 2 girls in maid's costumes would be really hot.

Come on, give me a break, this question gets asked every month, (o.k., not every month, but just the last 3 months in a row).

Men and women are different.  Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad.

Sometimes it's a non-issue.

The only time gender is an issue, is when someone tries to make it an issue or an overgeneralization.

Trying to make sex the touchstone for something it isn't is sexist and those who do it should be ashamed.

And for the dumbasses who I frequently encounter on internet chat boards, I assume by now, that you have realized that my previous post are a form of sarcastic humor to illustrate a point.

Well, except for the part about the lesbians....

Who doesn't like lesbians.

Hoorah.

Mark

Dec 02 05 08:44 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Master Image Photograph wrote:
Do woman photogs get more business than men photogs? and if so why?
You might ask why does it matter....

Woman think much differant than men, we all know that...how does that transfere to creating photographs and trust, of the opposite sex
in taking their photograph.

Any experiences ? opinions ?

i have only worked with like 3 female photographers.
i think i prefer working with guys though.

Dec 02 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I think good photogs get more business than bad photogs.  When I'm looking at great work, I don't care if a monkey shot it...I'm still impressed.

Dec 03 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Master Image Photograph

Rancho Santa Margarita, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
Are you talking in general or collectively?

As you may have guessed, there are more male photographers then there are women shooters, so the male shooters would have a higher (collective) total of clients then the women.

What was the question again?

LOL,  why is it when I go out to the beach I see a ratio of 8/2 more woman over men photogs doing beach portraits, and when I was there today, I saw at last 4 woman shooting woman- I think woman just buy from woman, because there woman, is that fair to assume....ment too for that matter?

Dec 03 05 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I know that as a woman, I have had more requests (unsolicited) for boudior portraits and couples portraits than most male photographers do starting out. I am a model too, and can tell you that in general, I felt better working with the photographers who were the warmest towards me, regardless of gender.

However, there is a definite market for female photographers taking glamour pics. A relatively conservative woman in a serious relationship, getting sexy pics of herself for her boyfriend, often feels more comfortable with a woman taking the photographs. I have had both women and couples offer to pay me for my services in this area.

In terms of commercial, architectural, fashion, and other fields, there are still more successful male photographers, but there do appear to be less female photographers in general.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of female photographers that show in galleries, etc. tend to be better photographers because instead of focusing only on the female body, they usually pick a subject. So, I think women make exceptional documentary photographers.

Even though this is model mayhem, I believe that the most money in photography is in commercial, portraiture, and wedding photography, and that women are doing as well in these fields as men are. Especially in wedding photography.

Dec 03 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Alli BBBBBBBBB

Syracuse, New York, US

Krista Muller wrote:
I know that as a woman, I have had more requests (unsolicited) for boudior portraits and couples portraits than most male photographers do starting out. I am a model too, and can tell you that in general, I felt better working with the photographers who were the warmest towards me, regardless of gender.

However, there is a definite market for female photographers taking glamour pics. A relatively conservative woman in a serious relationship, getting sexy pics of herself for her boyfriend, often feels more comfortable with a woman taking the photographs. I have had both women and couples offer to pay me for my services in this area.

In terms of commercial, architectural, fashion, and other fields, there are still more successful male photographers, but there do appear to be less female photographers in general.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of female photographers that show in galleries, etc. tend to be better photographers because instead of focusing only on the female body, they usually pick a subject. So, I think women make exceptional documentary photographers.

Even though this is model mayhem, I believe that the most money in photography is in commercial, portraiture, and wedding photography, and that women are doing as well in these fields as men are. Especially in wedding photography.

Amen to that....damn girl you rock ! wink

Dec 03 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Gay male photographers get the most jobs they are will versed in all areas of the business.. lol   the ass kissing has really set me back in life hahahahaha!!!!

Dec 03 05 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Gunfitr wrote:
Snip...Should I bring my dog in and let him push the shutter and maybe sniff the other dog's ass (as is the custom).

LOL!

Dec 03 05 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

the good ones do

Dec 03 05 11:25 pm Link