Forums > General Industry > How crazy is too crazy for photo ideas?

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I don't know....I once had a photographer offer to pay me to come downfor a 6 hour shoot where I would slowly strip and at the end, he wanted to have sex with me. He was pretty open about it.

No. I didn't do it.

In case you were wondering. Although if it were Eric Muss-Barnes, I might have had a hard time saying no......

Dec 06 05 08:30 am Link

Makeup Artist

Crazier Benny

Rochester, New York, US

Dec 06 05 08:32 am Link

Photographer

MorTis

Chiang Mai, Northern, Thailand

Well i have been part of a lot of crazy stuff.  Bondage (which really isnt crazy at all if you know what you doing), mulatation (body mods, peircing, cuttings etc), hell event a scene where i had to suspend a 2 people in the air for a fatansy kayak scene (you really had to be there, don't ask), which i though was kinda crazy.  Even helped suspend people of the sides of cliffs/waterfalls which i though is kinds crazy on the degerous side, but were all certified riggers and moutain climbers so that was ok. So my crazy level bar is way higher then most peoples i think.

But things like clowns and mimes ..  Ohh i think i said that already... oh well.
people stupid pets...   i just think those crazy! 

As long as every is kool, and happy with what there doing, and even if you breaking some laws, its all good as long as no one gets hurt [or well hurt that much! hee ] ==B)

Dec 06 05 08:33 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

We got some awesome boat shots dangling from bungee cords off a bridge in Sydney Harbor.

As long as there are no permanent injuries and no witnesses, everything goes wink

Sometimes you've got to get a little crazy with your concepts or you’ll drown in realty.

Dec 06 05 08:44 am Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

I'm surprised none of my models have mentioned me yet....LOL

Dec 06 05 10:26 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Isis wrote:
I was honestly wondering the same thing.... how many photographers out there use sets, or work with set designs, etc., and what is too much to ask for?  I want to set up some intricate shoots soon, but not sure what my parameters to work with are... smile

-isis-

Well, I'm part of a team that makes sets and does some pretty intricate stuff whenever we can. The main problem seems to be time to build and budget. If a model fits in to a concept we want to shoot, no problem. When a model wants her own ideas shot...well she better be willing to chip in for supplies and show up for the "build and paint party".

That being said...if you want to head to Sacramento some time....

Dec 06 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
Although if it were Eric Muss-Barnes, I might have had a hard time saying no......

Now is that because he's so handsome or because he has such a big lens?

Dec 06 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
When a model wants her own ideas shot...well she better be willing to chip in for supplies and show up for the "build and paint party".

i agree...and thats usually where i draw the line...

Dec 06 05 10:31 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Let me first agree with the majority of posters who say that the only limits are safety and lawfulness (and even then, it's up to you how far you want to bend the rules.) I've had models hanging off rooftops, *I* have hung off rooftops, I've stood in the middle of the street like a damn fool, I've hung off trees, I've dressed models up like Raggedy Ann in lingerie, you name it.

However, let me urge you to not substitute "craziness" for technical ability and quality work. "It's ART, damnit, it doesn't have to be properly exposed" is not entirely an invalid argument, but first convince me that you know how to properly expose/frame/compose/etc an image so that I know when you *don't* do it right, it's because you have an artistic statement to make, not that you're just lazy. smile

Craziest thing? Hmmm. Probably having a model dressed up as a vampire, bloody from the eyesockets down, sitting on a loading dock with two models made up as corpses under her, at 7PM in the evening plainly visible from a busy street. Either that, or the aforementioned Raggedy Ann in lingerie, lounging on a pile of broken dolls in a basement.

M

Dec 06 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

Shane Perez wrote:
Actually, I will usually choose to go with a model that has a more creative idea than a boring one for tfp. I always have a bunch of ideas of my own, but sometimes it's nice to have a fresh perspective from someone else. The idea of TFP is to shoot something that will benefit both model and photographer. I can do boring shoots with just about anyone, it's the creative/off the wall stuff that is more rare and will help me add unique images to my portfolio. Provided of course that the model is willing to at least help out with some of the production required as far as buying props or maybe helping find a location to carry it out in, both parties should play a role in that and split it up.

I'm right there with Shane, as long as it's something feasible and not beyond an individual's personal boundaries.  Oh yeah, and as long as no one gets physically hurt.  8}

Dec 06 05 10:51 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

raveneyes wrote:

Now is that because he's so handsome or because he has such a big lens?

Who said size didn't matter.....?

Dec 06 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

If it's for fun, or for art, or for personal expression, NO idea is too crazy. ;-) It's the one advantage you have of not trying to make money off of it. Take advantage of that fact.

Dec 06 05 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Crazy... well, there's this Pit-and-the-Pendulum scene I've done with a number of models (Marci is posing with the set in my avatar)... the craziest being with Wenona (MM 25021) who insisted that we shoot with that set with the blade passing less than an inch over her navel.  She broke Kerri Taylor's (MM 982) record of 2 inches...who broke Marci's record (MM 20795) of 3 inches...

Any other ladies want to try to break that record?  wink

Dec 06 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Anna Michelle wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone can give me a limit as to what is to crazy to ask a photographer for on a TFP basis. I get all these silly ideas like...I love the Bohemian Green Fairy, and I think it would be a fun shoot. I know that I should probably stick to the basics because I am new, but I just want to have fun with this, and I would love images like that. So here is the second part of the question...what is the craziest thing you've done for a shoot?

Art has no limits

Dec 06 05 12:08 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Marvin Dockery wrote:
Art has no limits

LOL...art does have no limits!

Artists, however...hmmm finances seems a common thread, time, location, vision...plenty of limits to be found unfortunately.

Anyone hear of that artist from Germany who plasticizes dead bodies and then deconstructs them into art?

Dec 06 05 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Anna Michelle wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone can give me a limit as to what is to crazy to ask a photographer for on a TFP basis. I get all these silly ideas like...I love the Bohemian Green Fairy, and I think it would be a fun shoot. I know that I should probably stick to the basics because I am new, but I just want to have fun with this, and I would love images like that. So here is the second part of the question...what is the craziest thing you've done for a shoot?

For TFP you can ask for the craziest thing you can think of, as long as you are paying for the props, extra equiptment, MUA.. etc. I will shoot just about anything you want but I won't be pulling the extras out of my pocket for a TFP shot you want.

I have had models come up with fantastic ideas but they expect the photographer to pony up the dough for photos that have no market. Sorry mermaid suits are not in my budget.

Dec 06 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Nemi wrote:
I love crazy and creative...but nobody ever wants to play creative with me for TFCD sad

Not true.

Dec 06 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

megafunk wrote:

Not true.

how so my friend?

Dec 06 05 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Nemi wrote:

how so my friend?

Because people (me) have offered to do it.

Dec 06 05 09:54 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

lol yes, but after i made my post...not prior...so his post makes no sense..

Dec 06 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Nemi wrote:

ah

Dec 06 05 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Personally, I'm much more inclined to do a TFP shoot with a model that has a theme or concept to the shoot.  If I like the idea, I'll find (and pay for) the right MUA, location, wardrobe, etc. necessary for the shoot (if the model doesn't already have such), in between wondering why I didn't think of that concept/idea...  LOL

Dec 06 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Anna Michelle wrote:

I would do most anything except trespass on private property without permission. I'm very respectful of boundaries.

Dec 06 05 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I have one idea that I am sure is so contrversial that, considering my religious upbringing, and there after backsliding, if I actually carry out the idea, I will be shipped straight to hell. It is an idea I had for the artistic/edgy side of my photography business which operates under another name.

Dec 06 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I would do most anything except trespass on private property without permission. I'm very respectful of boundaries.

I try to get on the backside of the trespassing signs, where it does not say anything. smile

Dec 07 05 09:00 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I have one idea that I am sure is so contrversial that, considering my religious upbringing, and there after backsliding, if I actually carry out the idea, I will be shipped straight to hell. It is an idea I had for the artistic/edgy side of my photography business which operates under another name.

This is when you tell us that other name...

Dec 07 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Do you think that there will be forums there?

Dec 07 05 09:02 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Nemi wrote:

blastfromthepast wrote:
Nemi
09/15/05 10:39 AM
I saw your post in the forums, whats your availability like?

So young, so forgetful.
By the way, I'm not flaming you. Just reminding you that everyone slips periodically. So, makes sense now?

Dec 07 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Do you think that there will be forums there?

lol I had to read that a couple times before I got it smile

Dec 07 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Nemi wrote:

This is when you tell us that other name...

I keep the two businesses completely seperate. Two completely different sides of the industry. One is Glamour Boulevard, the other is for more of my artistic edgy stuff, fetish and erotic.

Dec 07 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I keep the two businesses completely seperate. Two completely different sides of the industry. One is Glamour Boulevard, the other is for more of my artistic edgy stuff, fetish and erotic.

apex? sure doesn't look like your stuff. i'm not implying anything but at a glance it looks odd.

Dec 07 05 06:08 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

megafunk wrote:
So young, so forgetful.
By the way, I'm not flaming you. Just reminding you that everyone slips periodically. So, makes sense now?

Ah, yes...I thought you were just pointing out how someone in the thread had said the would work with me.
Oh, and by the by, I don't think you understand quite how upset I was I couldn't make it that day either sad Your stuff is awesome.

Dec 08 05 11:11 am Link

Model

Candy Poses

Seattle, Washington, US

Crazy...see two of my latest nudes.  I didn't see anything crazy about posing like that outdoors in dc, but apparently it's not for the faint of heart(or easily frozen).

Dec 08 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Nemi wrote:
was I couldn't make it that day either

Thanks. Next time then, should schedules collide.

Dec 09 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

CottonCandy wrote:
Crazy...see two of my latest nudes.  I didn't see anything crazy about posing like that outdoors in dc, but apparently it's not for the faint of heart(or easily frozen).

Those are great shots.  I know the location well (Lady Bird Johnson Park, near Reagan Airport...)  A great setting for photos.  smile

Dec 09 05 10:47 am Link