Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What do I have to improve in my portfolio?

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Please view my photos and give me feedback if possible. I want to finish my portfolio and seek representation from the tfp shoots and shots from my portfolio.

Apr 13 05 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

your portfoilio will never be finished,,untill you stiffinup a little more...lol

Apr 13 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

I think you have some great photos, but quality is better than quantity. I would take out the very first one "Passional"

Just my two cents...

Apr 13 05 12:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

The Beauty Artist

Troy, Michigan, US

Im going to be honest with you, I think you should look into working with a different photographer. Nothing against the one youve worked with before, but the studio setting looks to much like a family portrait studio type place. Also try and get some headshots taken of you with natural makeup with perhaps natural light. Also who is that naked chic in one of your pics?

Apr 14 05 11:32 pm Link

Model

Rx

I think you should read more magazines as well as books on modeling and fashion photography. It may provide you with insights and inspiration to be better at your craft. And I agree with Printmakeup that you should consider getting another photographer to work with because honestly, your images look a bit shady and not exactly modeling photos. I hope this constructive criticism may help you in your career. Goodluck!smile

Apr 14 05 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Stone Photo

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Speak softly and carry a big stick...
Curt's right.  You have 88 images on your page.  NOBODY is going to take the time to flip through an 88 page book.  Edit it down to the 7-15 strongest images, and use those.  I know you can't control it on here, but pacing is important, too.  Think in odds.  And patterns.  I don't know how to phrase this, but go BIG, medium, small, medium, BIG - not physically, but in terms of visual impact - don't put all the strong images up front and the weak ones in back.  The first and last image will be the ones people remember... make them good.  And tailor your book to the client. 
Just remember the cliche - you're only as good as the worst image in your book.

Apr 14 05 11:42 pm Link

Model

Paul Dietz

Los Angeles, California, US

this is what you need to do. you need to work with other photographers.....or find one REALLY good one....but most importantly you need your pictures to each show a different style. agents want to see what you CAN look like..not what you DO look like..so you want ALOT of variety..lots of different looks...dresses...bathing suits...lingerei...artistic..about 15 or so...all showing different looks....different hair styles...different poses...different facial expressions...

Apr 14 05 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Maria,

You've been given some good advice. You have 94 pics up right now. Take 5 or 10 of the best and burn and trash the others, they're useless and hurt your portfolio. That's a start.

A few could be cropped into better looking images but you would need the photogs permission.

You're not going to get any reputable or legit representation with any of the images you have now and the nudes won't help either if your looking to do real commercial modeling unless that's the area you want to go into then that's fine. If you want representation with a reputable agency take every single nude you have on the net off the net. If you gain supermodel status then it won't matter:)

You need images that look as if they belonged in mainstream magazines. The fact is you must start over again to build an agency acceptable portfolio.

As Kalahuna has stated, variety, different looks etc. And also using no more than 2 wearing the same outfit.

If you still want to do a shoot in a couple of months you'll have pics you won't recognize yourself in. Still on?

Look at your portfolio and then look at Rx's.

You're 5'9", don't waste it.

Gary
www.glamourstudio.com

Apr 15 05 08:13 am Link

Model

electralux

Reading this even helped me! big_smile

Apr 15 05 11:54 am Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Thanks guys..i'll do so in a few.xoxo

Apr 15 05 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

and if you use the same outfit, seperate them.

Apr 15 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

As has already been said, less is more. You may also want to get a couple nice bikini shots, nothing scandalous, try location rather than studio. And maybe a couple business and/or formalwear. Again, location, not studio and creative hair. A lot of salons are happy to do free work with models for photos. they like to be artsy too.

Apr 15 05 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Steel

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I agree more or less as to what has already been said the thing I like is the different looks i would keep all of them, The nudes are not a problem if you are also seeking that kind of work, I do not like some of the images that look as if they have a sears or olan mills background.  I would get a good photographer and let him create something spectacular out of your natural beauty.

Apr 22 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

WASH-HI PHOTO

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Maria

I saw three photos that were excellent as portfolio/compsheet shots:  "On the prowl", "Flowers" , and "Sunset in Arizona"...((although Sunset needs an adobe layer for enhancement of your foreground subject saturation))

I agree with the other remarks posted.  You have a great look and I would shoot you with you looking through the lens and climbing into my camera....bring it home!!!! so to speak.

Best of luck with your career.....

John
Washington Digital Photography

quote]Posted by ActresM10~Maria: 
Please view my photos and give me feedback if possible. I want to finish my portfolio and seek representation from the tfp shoots and shots from my portfolio. 

Apr 30 05 02:52 pm Link