Forums > Photography Talk > I just ordered the Nikon D200 from Ritz

Photographer

Nothingok

Los Angeles, California, US

I jus ordered my baby D200 from Ritz. I wonder how long it will take to get to me.. I heard its REALLY back-ordered... lol. 1 month maybe? longer? how many did they make? lol

Dec 15 05 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

I don't think we'll begin shipping them till the end of the month.

Dec 15 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTOS

Wrong.  Mine is already in the mail from cameraworld which is also ritz

Dec 16 05 01:07 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Ok cool.  End of the month is the last I heard.

Dec 16 05 07:23 am Link

Photographer

odessit

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mine was shipped on Thursday and I will get it on Monday

Dec 16 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Picked mine up today. So pretty smile

Dec 16 05 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

VirtuaMike wrote:
Picked mine up today. So pretty smile

BASTARD! Mine's still on its way from the East Coast.

Dec 17 05 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Nothingok

DAMN DANG AND SHANG!!  I for some reason dont think ill be as lucky.. you must have pre-ordered yours a long time ago (and hence were front list) I think more to the end of the list tongue lol

Dec 17 05 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Marshall Arts

I want one...I WANT ONE!!

Dec 18 05 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Has anyone shot with it yet?  Comments?

Dec 18 05 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Joel Flora

Why the nikon 200

Dec 18 05 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Nothingok

Why the Nikon D200 you ask? BEcause its affordable.. the next digi cam up is like 4900-5500 depending on where u get it.. the d200. is only 1700.  personally 5000 bucks isnt in my wallet.. being a student living off loans.. i dont think i can justify buying a camera with my student loan. lol

Dec 18 05 12:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

my husband's comes in tomorrow, while his friends came in on Friday! My husband got his preordered from Ritz, while ritz online actually delivered them earlier. When my husband asked why ritz online got to their customers first, they said they were a different company then ritz. What??

Dec 18 05 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

MakeupIsArt wrote:
my husband's comes in tomorrow, while his friends came in on Friday! My husband got his preordered from Ritz, while ritz online actually delivered them earlier. When my husband asked why ritz online got to their customers first, they said they were a different company then ritz. What??

Yeah, I've heard that too.  I've lots of info on the D200 VS. The Cannon 5D
let me know what he thinks.

Dec 18 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Nothingok

You guys are making me SOOO jealous.. they are having a problem charging my CC.. im from canada but im trying to do the round-about way of avoiding tax.  so im shipping the camera to my friends address in los angeles.  but since im shipping it to a different address other than my cc address. i had to fax in some info.  ANd ive faxed it in twice now and they have no record!! erghhh GIVE ME MA CAMERA!

Dec 18 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

Tim Baker wrote:
Has anyone shot with it yet?  Comments?

I've shot flowers with it but no models yet. Huge upgrade from the D70.

Dec 18 05 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

A friend of mine ordered on and it is on it's way as we speak(or type)
he expects to get it possibly this week(he's hoping)

Dec 18 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Nothingok

JBPhoto wrote:
I don't think we'll begin shipping them till the end of the month.

You are right.. you heard correct when they said "end of month".  They got the D200s in.. but were all sent out the day they received them.  They expect to receive their next shipment of Cameras on Dec 30th.  HOPEFULLY i am in the 2nd batch of cameras!

Dec 19 05 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

jbassett

Woodbridge, Virginia, US

Just got mine last Friday.  Order on Ritz.com and got it in a day (overnight shipping)

WWWWOOOWWW what a camera.

Dec 19 05 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

Holding mine right now - haven't had a chance to do any real shooting with it yet, but I goofed off with one on Friday at Adorama's rental department.  Feels really good in the hand, well-built.  I'll play around a bit tonight, see how it compares to my old D100 and the Canon 20D.

Dec 19 05 01:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

jbassett wrote:
Just got mine last Friday.  Order on Ritz.com and got it in a day (overnight shipping)

WWWWOOOWWW what a camera.

Yay James, as I am sure you know by now, I just picked up Luis's . smile He hasn't even seen it yet, waiting for him to get home from your place! lol

Dec 19 05 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Be careful with the warrantees from the internet sites and the physical stores also. Ritz the physical store at the mall or whatever will not honor a warrantee from the internet site because it is not technically the same entity.
If you bought it online then most of the time it will go directly to the manufacturer for repair ect. and you send it yourself, whereas the physical store i think has people who are qualified to fix it and if they cant they send it to the manufacturer (I think thats how the physical store works it).

If you bought it online and have a problem be sure to call the place, you need authorization to send the unit to them for repair most times. If you do not get the authorization they will not accept the package and it will get sent back to you when they feel like it. Plus you have to make sure register the unit since most times it goes to the manufacturer and they will not work on a unit i was told if its not registered.
The registering thing has to do with stolen units and who actualy owns them, they check all that before they work on it. That is also part of the authorization process to send it in to get fixed.

Dec 19 05 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

nikon really dropped the ball on the release date of this camera.

for all intents and purposes, it won't be widely available until jan or feb sad

happy holidays smile

http://johnnyolsen.com

Dec 19 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

johnny olsen wrote:

happy holidays smile

Funny, all the guys I know of that did preorders actually got their's. Nikon said before xmas and they delivered.

Dec 19 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sssshhh, don't tell anyone, but I got mine without a preorder - just was a little persistent, made nice with people, kept my ear to the ground.  Walked out of Adorama with the last one they had this morning.  All I can say is - be nice to your sales reps and they might just take care of you in return.

It doesn't surprise me that Nikon wasn't able to deliver enough units at launch - I think they really weren't ready for the demand they saw on preorder, especially considering how little advertising they've been doing.

Dec 19 05 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

All I can say is Cannon watch out....

Dec 19 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
All I can say is Cannon watch out....

I said that a long time ago.  I walked away from Canon for Nikon YEARS ago and have never regretted it.

Dec 19 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

odessit

Brooklyn, New York, US

Does anybody have problems with the D200 & Nikon 17-55 focusing on the infinity?
What do you think about the WB on the D200?
I got mine on Saturday last week. Moving from D70. 99% I used my D70 with the custom curve or EV +0.7. Do you think D200 need the same?

Thanks

Dec 19 05 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

johnny olsen wrote:

happy holidays smile

Nikon has been releasing new models for a long time and every one back to the F2 has had an initial period of tight availability for the first couple of months. I do not need one until late spring, that's when I'll be ordering mine
Bob

Dec 19 05 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

Best Light Images

Palm City, Florida, US

I'll get mine Wednesday from B&H, I can't wait.  Moving up from the D70.  D70 is a great camera but I like to have the controls on buttons rather than buried deep in the menus.

Dec 20 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Nice... let us know how you guys like them!

Thinking about picking one up as a better second body/D2X backup, once I see how well/poorly the tax man treats me this year!  lol

-Thomas-

Dec 20 05 02:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

Just posted my husbands D70 for sale under MM Market!

Dec 20 05 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTOS

johnny olsen wrote:

happy holidays smile

um wtf ru talking about?  I have mine - Dec 20th.

Dec 20 05 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Kwan

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

MakeupIsArt wrote:
Just posted my husbands D70 for sale under MM Market!

I hope you told him first. tongue

Dec 20 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Nothingok

iso200_bryan wrote:

um wtf ru talking about?  I have mine - Dec 20th.

I think "widely available" was meant for the fact.. that its backordered at most stores.. Ritz is sold out and I have to wait till their second shipment to get one.. and thats IF im lucky to be that far ahead in line.  Widely available..meaning Demand is LESS than supply.... and right NOW.. DEMAND is MUCH higher than supply.

tongue

Dec 20 05 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Demand is ALWAYS higher than supply when a camera first comes out... this is nothing new.  Took me a couple of months to get my D2X, and had I waited a few more weeks I could have saved 2 or 3 hundred bucks when I bought it, but whatever.  It was worth the wait.

All the measurebators work themselves into a frenzy for MONTHS, even before a camera is announced, speculating on all the outrageous features "A friend of a friend who works at a camera shop who has an 'in' with the Nikon rep" told them it would have... others say how THIS one is gonna be the Canon-Killer (or Nikon-Killer, if you happen to be reading the Canon forum)...  and then, when the camera inevitably gets pushed back a few weeks (Nikon IS worse at this than Canon is), then it's always "XXXon really dropped the ball this time... this is going to be the end of them"...  if you don't believe me, go check the forums on DPReview.  Search the Nikon forum for 'D200' and see how far back the posts go.

And the world continues to spin, life continues to go on, and I keep taking lame photos, regardless of how much I spent for my caera!  : D

Dec 21 05 03:26 am Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

Daniel Kwan wrote:

I hope you told him first. tongue

Yah, yah, small details. lol

Nah, he knows, he's not letting go easily, but he knows. smile

Dec 21 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Nothingok

OH GOSH.. Ok so I guess there are problems with the first batch of Cameras... dpreview. ...apparently some lenses arent working with the camera... and alot of them have been sent back.  Ritz told me the second batch would be ready by Dec 30.. than they said 1-2 weeks.. and than i checked after the 2 weeks.. they said another 2-4 weeks .. so im lookin at getting the camera more like MID Feb early March it seems.. fawk fawk and fawk!

Jan 14 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

PHOTOS

Matthew Lyn Photography wrote:
OH GOSH.. Ok so I guess there are problems with the first batch of Cameras... dpreview. ...apparently some lenses arent working with the camera... and alot of them have been sent back.  Ritz told me the second batch would be ready by Dec 30.. than they said 1-2 weeks.. and than i checked after the 2 weeks.. they said another 2-4 weeks .. so im lookin at getting the camera more like MID Feb early March it seems.. fawk fawk and fawk!

What a bunch of BS.  The only lens I am aware of that has an issue is a Sigma I think it was.  It has to do with the Sigma firmware - which they are issuing a patch for.

The only issue I am aware of with the D200 is the 'banding' or 'striping' problem that some have seen (I have not) at high ISO and/or when pushing a dark photo.  This is well documented on dpreview, and Nikon is well aware of it.  The other small issue is the frame counter which cant seem to calculate properly and under estimates shots left on the card.  This is the same issue the D70 had.

Bryan

Jan 15 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

iso200_bryan wrote:
What a bunch of BS.  The only lens I am aware of that has an issue is a Sigma I think it was.  It has to do with the Sigma firmware - which they are issuing a patch for.

The only issue I am aware of with the D200 is the 'banding' or 'striping' problem that some have seen (I have not) at high ISO and/or when pushing a dark photo.  This is well documented on dpreview, and Nikon is well aware of it.  The other small issue is the frame counter which cant seem to calculate properly and under estimates shots left on the card.  This is the same issue the D70 had.

Bryan

There's a setting on the D200 for compressed NEF.  Is this MORE compression than what is already being done?  Considering an uncompressed NEF should be well over 30mb.  But let's pretend it is only 30mb.  I should only get 17 photos.  But my counter shows 30.  Which was VERY accurate as I only got 30 shots on a quick test I did in my room.  However, when I enable NEF compression, I got 63 shots but the counter read 30 when it was freshly formatted.  In JPEG, it says 56 but I got 129 with is set to JPEG Optimaly Quality.

So yeah, looks like we need a firmware update, but since I always shoot RAW and will do so uncompressed, the counter is accurate so far.

As for the banding issue, it reminds me of all the complaining about moire with the D70 and how much of a deal breaker it was for them.

Jan 15 06 02:29 pm Link