Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Stupid ways to get hurt....

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lucky Bastard wrote:
Damn!
Have you ever thought that your parents just might not like you very much?

Naw, my parents loved me.  I can't say much for Henry Ford though!

Jan 03 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

Raleesha wrote:
Last week I poked myself in the eye with my toothbrush while I was still brushing my teeth.
Last year I was playing with liquid eyeliner and stopped paying attention...the brush-thing went into my eye and turned my entire eyeball black. It actually didn't hurt, but I started freaking out and grabbed something to rinse with and got the squeezable tartar sauce instead. (I was in the kitchen) Yeah, that hurt.
Yesterday I was shopping and hit my head with the plastic hanger, got my hair tangled in the clothes rack, and ran straight into a door.

Is this why you took up modeling?

Lol,,,,,,,Just kidding

Jan 03 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Lucky Bastard wrote:
I've hurt myself in more dumb ways than I care to remember. Most recently, and photography wise, I'd have to say nearly breaking my ankle on a light stand while shooting this photo...
http://www.myluckylife.com/mllblog/inde … owimage=50
Funny thing is I had the self timer set AND had the remote release locked so that the camera took a photo every ten seconds or so. So I actually got a before and after photo of my dumbness... http://www.myluckylife.com/mllblog/inde … owimage=49

That'll learn me!

not real sure what to say about the photos, but i got a laugh for sure, i to have fallen over light stands.

Jan 03 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

I don't recall a stupid mistake that injured me -- unless going 70MPH o m skis is stupid.?!
I did have a stupid one in the studio, and while nobody was hurt, I still shudder every time I think of it.
I was set up to simulate a beach scene with a (roughly) 4 ft by 7 ft softbox mounted on a boom directly overhead. Some of you have alreay guessed the rest of the story. It was not properly counter-balanced and part way through the set it came crashing down inches from my poor bikini clad model.
That was both scary and embarassing as hell

Jan 03 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

Lady Bronze

Los Angeles, California, US

It was last year. California. Gold's Gym.

I, a budding personal trainer, along with, lets call him..Billy....were going about our business, melting away those few extra layers of lard on the treadmill.

He cracked a few jokes..

I pretended to listen.

I threw in a guffaw, a heckle..hell, even a hearty laugh in all the approprite places..those silent moments in between speech.

But really....

I had no clue what this guy was saying.  I mean..his mouth was moving and all..but I was  WAY too distracted by his biceps, and the beads of sweat pouring in between his pecs..

so there I am, giggling..at what I sure hope was a joke..

when..

my foot slips..and there I go....

flying off the treadmill....arms flailing..and a giggle..turning into a shriek..

*shaking head*

Jan 03 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Have i mentioned the time I thought it might be a good idea to jump into Belleville lake, then realized there were zebra mussels there, could barely walk for a few days?zebra mussels are the ones that are razor sharp, and if you step on them, they cut in deep. like when i got home, the botttoms of my socks were solid red.

Jan 06 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

OK, my turn...

The most stupid thing I've done to hurt myself was when I was four. My mom had left the iron unattended (thanks, Mom!), and for some reason I decided to try and pick it up. So I grabbed the handle with my right hand, but it was too heavy. Then I tried to use my other hand, too, and placed it on the hot surface. I managed to lift the iron, but only for a second, and I'm amazed I still have skin on that hand. There's no trace of the burns now, but I haven't picked up an iron since.

I've always wanted to play drums, but every time I try, I manage to smack myself in the nose with one of the sticks. I think I'll stick to my keyboards....

Jan 06 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Alexei Fomin wrote:
Stupid ways to get hurt.....

Share your story, so we cal all laugh at one another

I fell in love once or twice.

You'd think I would have learned better after the first time.

wink

Jan 06 06 03:18 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Katalina Daer

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Alexei Fomin wrote:
I've had a few. most intense probably was running in front of a cast iron swing (no chains, just a chair mounted on metal bars that pivoted) when i was 5 or 6 and getting hit by the solid metal foot bar in the face. This after i was told not to run because someone was swinging too high, 5 seconds prior.

Share your story, so we cal all laugh at one another

I gave myself a concussion by running into the clothesline. And to boot, I didnt even see it!

I also got bit by my best friends pet monkey, still have the scar on my leg.

Jan 06 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Katalina Daer wrote:
I gave myself a concussion by running into the clothesline. And to boot, I didnt even see it!

Do you think we think you saw it and decided to run into it anyway? smile

Jan 06 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Okay, I've got a couple. And this happened a while ago but I'm not sure when; I was probably in junior highschool (I was especially dumb back then).

1. I was running along and I thought it'd be really cool to throw a heavy piece of wood in the air as I ran (I think I just wanted to get rid of it or something). So, I tossed it up as far as I could directly overhead (you probably know where this one is going). I kept running, and due to certain laws of physics and ballistics the stick kept going and hit me perfectly on the head. Was I ever surprised. Dumb kid.

2. I thought it would be a good idea to run through the woods, and so of course I did. I mean, they do this in movies all the time so it can't be that bad an idea. I was cruising along until I felt the distinct feeling of a stick brushing my eye. So, being not a stupid person , I stopped. I then pulled the small twig from my eye socket where it had gone in probably a half inch right next to my right eye. There was no damage to the eye, and I thought it very strange that there should be a stick stuck in there next to it. I carefully walked out of the forest after realizing running wasn't such a good idea after all.

I don't run any more. But I still do stupid things.

-P-

Jan 06 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

And I always thought it might be interesting to go to an Irish pub on Saint Pat's day wearing bright orange. But I know better now...

Yeah, right...

Jan 06 06 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
I don't run any more. But I still do stupid things.

And now you have protective goggles, right?

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/050618/02/42b3ca7702ae2_t.jpg

Jan 06 06 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

And now you have protective goggles, right?

https://img1.modelmayhem.com/050618/02/42b3ca7702ae2_t.jpg

No... I hadn't thought of that! smile But my models do... they are truly wise. I do have glasses though...

Jan 06 06 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

When I was about 5 or 6 I think.. I was running around my sister's apartment... Keep in mind she had a glass coffee table with sharp points...  I tripped in the living room one of the corners hit me in the forehead... Nice set of stitches I had after that.

Jan 06 06 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Phil Kimpton

Taunton, Massachusetts, US

One other thing luckily I didn't drown or get seriously hurt... a year or so ago.. I had forgotten during the winter I had the front septic tank pumped out. So the cover was never fully back in place due to the ground being frozen.. Which I thought was secure... I was standing near a bush trimming it... Foot on said cover... The cover conviently moved to the side and my right leg went straight into the septic tank just over the knee... Talk about not only being cold.. I gave new meaning to the term "I stink".  How I never fell in completely I'll never know.

Jan 06 06 06:40 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I was a gymnast 'back in the day'. Around age 9, when I wasnt at class I was doing flips in my parents living room.

One day I was doing a series of front handsprings when I flew right into the corner of the coffee table. I stood there for like 5 seconds and then it hurt... REALLY bad. I have a tiny scar above my eye now because of it.

Then there was the time I fell out of a tree and knocked the wind out of myself... I was such a tomboy so I have a million stories.

Jan 06 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Sedivec-Ealy

Iowa City, Iowa, US

Mine was playing king of the mountain on our front porch and being the one lucky enough to lose and fall head first into the sharp gravel below...= shaven head and stictches...good thing I was only 7...

Jan 06 06 09:35 am Link

Model

Memi Haute

In fourth grade I was getting back at this kid with my friend for being mean to me and stole his shoe. I tossed it to my friend and started running and as he started to catch up with her I yelled, "Throw the shoe to me!"

Well she threw it and at that moment, I went past the school building and the sun was in my eyes and I couldn't see the shoe...but an instant later I felt it. I came down and hit me flat on the face and I slipped and fell and got all torn up in rocky gravel. From being hit by the shoe and hitting the ground it knocked me out for a few minutes and when I woke up I had blood all over my face and was very lucky my nose wasn't broken. lol

I felt like an IDIOT.

Another really stupid thing I did, was run into a metal pole at Lego Land, while staring at a mural on the wall. lol

And though this wasn't something stupid that I did, but was actually a really shi**y experience, in 4th grade I told this mean girl in my class to shut up and she punched me really hard in the stomach. I thought I was going to die. lol

And last but not least, I was playing with a stapler once and I stapled my thumb.

Jan 06 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

When i was a kid i was playing in a friends yard, stepped on a board with a 6 inch nail thru it, 6 inchs was out the other side so it was an 8 inch nail. The nail went right thru my foot, went to the hospital they pulled it out.
Went back to my friends house to show them where about it happened and as i went to point it out to his parents i stepped on another board and the same thing happened to the same foot, almost in the same spot.....back to the hospital.
When i got to the hospital one nurse i saw the first time, stopped, and was like "Are you still waiting to get that looked at?" I said no its another nail.....she just looked at my mom and said "Kids have such active imaginations dont they"....my mom looked at her and said "It is another nail, he stepped on another board"...she got us right in after she picked up her jaw from the floor.  LOL  It was kinda funny

Jan 06 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

About 3 years ago, I was doing some wordworking with a router table. The bit grabbed the wood and threw it, my left (and primary) hand fell directly onto the bit. Pulled my hand back, and counted my fingers. Thought, "Hey, got all five, I must have missed the bit"... that was when I noticed the blood down to my elbow and the fact that two of my fingers seemed a bit too... wide.

http://mikel.oakmoon.net/gallery/CurrentView/01280001_G

Both were broken, but I have nearly full range of motion now and can do all the things that I want to do.

Jan 06 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

Story 1-I was looking for my dad (I snuck out of the house) when I was 3..wandered into the milking barn...a cow kicked me in my butt and knocked me into a barb wire fence.  Stiches.

Story 2-I was playing "Superwoman" during my parent's volleyball match...my sister was watching me..(I was 3)...and I proceeded to climb up some bleachers and jump/flew off of the bleachers imagining I could fly...I could not.  Stitches.

Story 3-I was playing dolls with a dollhouse...3 years old, yet again...and I fell into the house face first. No stitches.  Scar.

Story 4-And my favorite.  I was on the playground with my mom, and after climbing up some monkey bars. I yelled for my mom to watch.  I then put my hands together in a diver's stance and jumped face first into concrete and stone.  No stitches. Broken nose...permanently bumped in the center.

Other things I tried.  I have eaten half a frog sandwhich (2 slices of bread, and a big ol' toad.)  I set fire to the basement of my parents' house (no damage...)  And when my parents tried to "pen" me up...in a wired in pen out in the yard...I dug halfway out and got stuck because my butt was TOO large to squeeze that extra bit of myself out...

I was playing with those view masters (you put the round disk in and click it to see pics...) and was walking and walked into a wall..received 2 black eyes.

I was playing tag on a stage and ran right off the stage and felling my face.

Running through a crowded campus section (in college) and tripped and flew a good 5 feet through the air...fell SO hard my backpack flew OFF my back and across the floor...all this happened during the noon rush on a busy day...a good 300 people saw me take a dive...

Was trying to skateboard, fell and dislocated my shoulder...had to drive myself to the hospital (stick shift) because my roommate was "too tired to take me".

HA. I was horsing around on the 4-wheeler...driving at very high (fun) speeds.  Suddenly I realized my dad had put up a new fence, so I slammed on the brakes, and the 4-Wheeler began to flip...so I put my leg down to stop it and ran over my leg (well pulled it under the wheel...) and basically ripped my muscle off my calf...painful!

Jan 06 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i was 19. workied at a bank. one day at closing i was shutting the vault door. this thing is about 14,000 pounds of pure steel. it was moving just a lil too fast. i thought i could slow it down. felt like superman for a moment i guess. grabbed the wrong part of the door and almost lost my pinky and right ring finger. i still cant straighten out my pinkey. thats when i said i'd start the whole photography thing full time.

Jan 06 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

DAMN you people are idiots !!!

Jan 06 06 09:49 pm Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

When I was 2, my mom was trying to potty train me and we lived in a townhouse then in the city and high concrete steps. I had a little plastic swimming pool out front that they kept next to the steps and it was a nice warm day so my mom put the water in, put me in my Little Mermaid swim suit and I was having a ball! (So I'm told..I don't remember)
As mom's do, she kept saying.."Do you have to potty?" and I kept saying no...well, I didn't want to get out of the pool! So she scooped me up anyway and brought me in, all the while telling me we were going back outside. We didn't have air conditioning so she had propped the front door open just enough to allow a nice breeze in and even brought my potty into the front room so I could see out the big window while I "went".
Well, my Dad was fooling around with the big long window in that storm door and the next thing I knew..(again, so I'm told), he slammed the storm door and closed it! I thought that meant I couldn't go back outside! So my Mom was in the next room doing whatever and I jumped up from the potty yelling "POOL! POOL!" and took off with my wet swimsuit wrapped around my ankles and ran straight for the storm door.

My dad had taken the big window out. I was nakid as a jaybird, (except for the bathing suit around my ankles) airborn and litterally flew out the window and missed every step but the last one. My dad was only a couple feet away and almost got me before I hit the ground, while my mom was screaming at my dad.."WHERE'S THE FING WINDOW YOU IDIOT!!!" the lady 2 doors down was screaming hysterically holding her heart and I was still mumblind through tears..."Poooooool...poooooool..."

We spent the day at the hospital..x-rays and all that. I had to keep peeing in a little cup for them to check for blood in my urine (internal injuries). I was fine..just a little scraped and beat up.
My Mom didn't speak to my dad for a while. LOL
Apparently, he took out the window to put in the big screen, so we wouldn't have to prop the door. My mom said he should have brought the screen up from the basement first, before taking out the window, because then he would have known she had taken it to the hardware store to repaired and that's why the door was propped in the first place...lol
I did get potty trained that day though!!! But I wanted to pee in little plastic cups!LOL

Jan 06 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

lol at least most people are talking about silly stories from when they were kids... mine was LESS THAN A YEAR AGO.

Jan 07 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Sascha wrote:
lol at least most people are talking about silly stories from when they were kids... mine was LESS THAN A YEAR AGO.

hey, mine was the day after i started this thread.

Jan 07 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

I fell in love once or twice.

You'd think I would have learned better after the first time.

wink

Talk about your nasty falls!
There's a song about it, says it's hard on the knees

Jan 09 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Katalina Daer wrote:
I also got bit by my best friends pet monkey, still have the scar on my leg.

That's what you get for touching his monkey...

Jan 09 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Sascha wrote:

Yeah well, the last stupid injury I can think of as an adult isn't something I could get away with posting details of in a public forum.  Shortest cleanest version: human head+wooden headboard=concussion & goosegg.

Jan 09 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Ok, I was just sewing a "bad cop, no donut" patch onto my leather jacket and the needle broke from how much pressure i was having to put on it. just finished digging the steel splinter out of my hand. all for the sake of ragging on cops.

Jan 09 06 10:56 pm Link