Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > microsoft = herpes virus

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

a virus of horrific proportions, which is transmited via images has been recently discovered...a visit to a website with an infected image will infect your windows based pc...what is amazing to me, is the microsoft stock jump UP in value .76 per share.

Jan 04 06 07:33 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

BCG wrote:
a virus of horrific proportions, which is transmited via images has been recently discovered...a visit to a website with an infected image will infect your windows based pc...what is amazing to me, is the microsoft stock jump UP in value .76 per share.

thats why i own a mac

Jan 04 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

This is why I do not use netscape or internet explorer which most internet web site viruses are made to work through.

Jan 04 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

this is why i believe in software piracy.

Jan 04 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
This is why I do not use netscape or internet explorer which most internet web site viruses are made to work through.

I was reading in the paper that using a different browser won't protect you from this newly discovered problem, it is an operating system flaw.  I am not sure the newspaper is the most reliable technical source but best to check it out.  If you run Mozilla or some other browser on a Mac, you are safe.

Jan 04 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Ivan123 wrote:

I was reading in the paper that using a different browser won't protect you from this newly discovered problem, it is an operating system flaw.  I am not sure the newspaper is the most reliable technical source but best to check it out.  If you run Mozilla or some other browser on a Mac, you are safe.

I use mozilla exclusively and have for almost a year. I love it.

Jan 04 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

yep i agree fire fox rocks and best yet it is FREE how come Microsoft has not cot on to the things that the people that made fire fox do to help keep things out i went with a PC (had both of my computers custom built at a local shop) because more bang for the $$ and the closed mac dealer/repair person is 3 hours a way if i need something fixed or new up grades i just drive 5min and get it dun

Jan 04 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I have used it at times.   In this case it won't help.  The other posters are right, this is an operating system flaw.

My question is how any company can survive with a product that has so many defects.  Could you imagine buying an airplane that had to be upgraded weekly to correct flaws?

At least when your computer crashes, it only effects your mind and your wallet.  There is no physical pain until you kick the CPU with your bare foot!

Jan 04 06 09:43 am Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I posted this days ago...

Jan 04 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

There is a third party work arround and patch out that fixes the issue. MS has yet to release apatch for the flaw, and they have know about it for MONTHS!

This is a fix relased by the Internet Storm Center

ISC HOTFIX

Jan 04 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

sense we are talking about viruses i been hearing about some that can infect cell phones and PDAs would some of these be able to get in to a digital camera say you coneconect your camera throw a usb port or on your card if such a thing happens who do we relion to get rid of them do we get a antivirus program it would suck if you payed 3000$+ for a camera and it gets buged

Jan 04 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Envy wrote:
I posted this days ago...

It took you a while to get noticed,

Jan 04 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

get a mac.....lol

Jan 04 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The Don Mon wrote:
get a mac.....lol

A what?

Jan 04 06 10:26 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

If everyone else switched to macs, this problem would be solved.  Hackers would devote their time to coming up with macv viruses instead and I could use my Frankenputer in peace.

Jan 04 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

bencook2

Tucson, Arizona, US

Damn Java!  It all starts with the "on load" command.  So when you view the photo is is to late.  Or it maybe an expoit in the op system thumbnailing commands. 

MAC

I toy around with switching to Mac every three or four years when I upgrade 'puters.  It seems like such a vanity purchase in the end and I am not willing to spend $500-800 dollars more on a pretty machine.

Jan 04 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

microsoft must die.

Jan 04 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lance Nichols

Markham, Ontario, Canada

nathan combs wrote:
sense we are talking about viruses i been hearing about some that can infect cell phones and PDAs would some of these be able to get in to a digital camera say you coneconect your camera throw a usb port or on your card if such a thing happens who do we relion to get rid of them do we get a antivirus program it would suck if you payed 3000$+ for a camera and it gets buged

Unlikely... the target size is just not there, the camera manufacturers jealously gaurd their hardware specs, and OS data.

Phones however are another story. Symbian OS phone have virii in the wild, and I've had attempts to infect me via bluetooth and mms/sms. You do have to accept the install in order for it to infect... but it is a matter of time, i suspect..

Jan 04 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

nish 24

Dallas, Texas, US

use Linux

Jan 04 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

bencook2 wrote:
Damn Java!  It all starts with the "on load" command.  So when you view the photo is is to late.  Or it maybe an expoit in the op system thumbnailing commands. 

MAC

I toy around with switching to Mac every three or four years when I upgrade 'puters.  It seems like such a vanity purchase in the end and I am not willing to spend $500-800 dollars more on a pretty machine.

pretty machine that doesnt have virus problems every few months/weeks
$500-800 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,worth of not having to worry about it....priceless

Jan 04 06 10:30 pm Link

Model

Goddess Erinys

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

I had to do two full system restores since all this bs. Misery.

Jan 05 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

I let a friend use my computer the other day, and I became a victim. It infected the Boot Sector, Random Files, Hidden Files, The Majority of my .exe files. It was Horrible. So I had to replace the drive..

Jan 05 06 09:52 am Link