Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Ok, what's a guy gotta do?

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

No matter how many times I post that I am looking for a "woman of color", or a model "with an exotic look", all I get are replies from white girls. Now, mind you, I am not racist, I love working with white women. However, what's a guy gotta do to get a non-white (hispanic, indian, african-american, native american, puerto rican, etc) to want to work with me? I've even offered payment if the model's fee matches her experience, and still, all I get are white girls.

Any thoughts? Especially if you're a really pretty, exotic-looking, non white female in southern california that doesn't mind shooting implied nude outdoors!

Jan 04 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

David Moyle wrote:
No matter how many times I post that I am looking for a "woman of color", or a model "with an exotic look", all I get are replies from white girls. Now, mind you, I am not racist, I love working with white women. However, what's a guy gotta do to get a non-white (hispanic, indian, african-american, native american, puerto rican, etc) to want to work with me? I've even offered payment if the model's fee matches her experience, and still, all I get are white girls.

Any thoughts? Especially if you're a really pretty, exotic-looking, non white female in southern california that doesn't mind shooting implied nude outdoors!

You have to be specific, white is a color,too smile

Jan 04 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

What I'm getting at, is I'd like to work with anyone non-white. If she's green and from Mars, that'd be fine if she has great features! wink

Jan 04 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Use a photo of Tiara LeAnne as your avatar.

Jan 04 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

David Moyle wrote:
No matter how many times I post that I am looking for a "woman of color", or a llama "with an exotic look", all I get are replies from white girls. Now, mind you, I am not racist, I love working with white women. However, what's a guy gotta do to get a non-white (hispanic, indian, african-american, native american, puerto rican, etc) to want to work with me? I've even offered payment if the llama's fee matches her experience, and still, all I get are white girls.

Because white women can be exotic too! Considering that this is America and the caucasians are very dominant, it's not wonder that they'll be the largest group to respond.

Next time, just say "I'll work with anyone willing to do nudes as long as they're not white." But that just makes you sound perverted. lol

Jan 04 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

David Moyle wrote:

Wow, I have had exactly the opposite happen, I've gotten far more requests from african-americans than white women....

Jan 04 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Technically, white is all the colors...

Jan 04 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Seth Rutledge wrote:

Wow, I have had exactly the opposite happen, I've gotten far more requests from african-americans than white women....

Why don't you guys swap emails???

Jan 04 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Sweet Raven

Azle, Texas, US

If I was living in your area, I would model for you...Good luck in finding a model...

Raven

Jan 04 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

John Lavery wrote:

No, White is all colors of light. All colors of ink or paint or crayolas would be black.

But, that's a technicality.

Jan 04 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Sweet Raven wrote:
If I was living in your area, I would model for you...Good luck in finding a model...

Raven

Well, if you're ever visiting my area, let me know.

Jan 04 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Fyre1704 wrote:
Next time, just say "I'll work with anyone willing to do nudes as long as they're not white." But that just makes you sound perverted. lol

Exactly!

Jan 04 06 02:35 pm Link

Model

Sweet Raven

Azle, Texas, US

I surely will...

Jan 04 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Use a photo of Tiara LeAnne as your avatar.

I did for a while actually. She's fun to work with by the way. But, she up and moved to Colorado.

Jan 04 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

David Moyle wrote:

I would try being more exact in your casting posts...  If you say "I will be shooting a Black female of medium to dark complexion.  I need between 5'5" to 5'10" and 120 - 140 lbs. With dark shoulder length hair or shorter.  Measurements should be.. yadda yadda yadda (you get the picture)"  then most of your responses will probably be more along the lines of what you want...  Exotic is such an onen ended term - I can give you exampls accross the board...  In southern cali to say non white exotic female doesn't seperate the models too much..  Pretty much every white girl I know is mixed with something (or at least caims to be) other than white at some point in their lineage - and the models won't hesitate to pull that out in a casting call...

Jan 04 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

David Moyle wrote:

I did for a while actually. She's fun to work with by the way. But, she up and moved to Colorado.

All I know is that the demographic of people wanting to work with me shifts significantly depending on which photo I select as an avatar...

Jan 04 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

All i see is "Exotic Look" on your port for what you are looking for. You need to be direct with your requests for photoshoots in this respect.

The other thing i would be aware of is that depending on where you post something, it does not mean every model contacting you has read it. They might not have read it and if they did they could think it is a project you are doing and just a part of what your doing in photography.

Jan 04 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
All I know is that the demographic of people wanting to work with me shifts significantly depending on which photo I select as an avatar...

Not a bad thought, I guess I'll switch back for a while.

edit: there, done!

Jan 04 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

I would try being more exact in your casting posts...  If you say "I will be shooting a Black female of medium to dark complexion.  I need between 5'5" to 5'10" and 120 - 140 lbs. With dark shoulder length hair or shorter.  Measurements should be.. yadda yadda yadda (you get the picture)"  then most of your responses will probably be more along the lines of what you want...  Exotic is such an onen ended term - I can give you exampls accross the board...  In southern cali to say non white exotic female doesn't seperate the models too much..  Pretty much every white girl I know is mixed with something (or at least caims to be) other than white at some point in their lineage - and the models won't hesitate to pull that out in a casting call...

I see your point. Thanks for the advice!

Jan 04 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

David Moyle wrote:

I see your point. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I used to ask for "exotic" looking females as well - and I got simialr results...  So now I'm very specific about who I want to shoot...  It just makes life easier...

Jan 04 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

Lillith Leda

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

David Moyle wrote:

No, White is all colors of light. All colors of ink or paint or crayolas would be black.

But, that's a technicality.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaactually, white is the absence of colour and black contains all colours! ;-)

Jan 04 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Lillith Leda wrote:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaactually, white is the absence of colour and black contains all colours! ;-)

That's what I was trying to say. White light is the entire spectrum of light (all the RGB maxed out in photoshop for example), but in every other medium, White is the absense of color.

Jan 04 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

Yeah I used to ask for "exotic" looking females as well - and I got simialr results...  So now I'm very specific about who I want to shoot...  It just makes life easier...

I'm always worried about offending by saying "Black". I guess I shouldn't.

Jan 04 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

why would anyone be offend by the word black???

Jan 04 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

David Moyle wrote:

I hear exotic-looking and I think RUMBA room dancers with peacock feathers and pasties.

You want a Latina?  Say so  A 5'8" Chinese model with a C-cup?  Say so.  Be specific as to what you need for your shots.

Jan 04 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

David Moyle wrote:

In terms of black or African American - I guess whichever one you prefer to use...  But don't worry about offending anyone...  There's nothing wrong with being specific in terms of what you're looking for to fit the part...  I've done filmwork before and the casting directors are SUPER SPECIFIC as far as there ethnic and racial discitions of what they need...  Whenever I do illustration my clients are specific as to which races they want me to draw...  So don't worry about offending anyone...

Jan 04 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
I hear exotic-looking and I think RUMBA room dancers with peacock feathers and pasties.

Ya, but you live in Palm springs where that show with all the ex-vegas dancers is.

I never thought of it that way.

Jan 04 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

BCG wrote:

why would anyone be offend by the word black???

I dunno, I've met people who have been though.

Jan 04 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

David Moyle wrote:

I dunno, I've met people who have been though.

if they are that easily offended, you would not want to incorporate them nto your work.

Jan 04 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

LOL what the fuck DOESN'T offend people these days? Just gotta ask for what you want, what happens when you contact a model of different ethnicity? Do they reply?  I wouldn't mind shooting with some ethnic varieties myself.....

Jan 04 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
LOL what the fuck DOESN'T offend people these days? Just gotta ask for what you want, what happens when you contact a model of different ethnicity? Do they reply?  I wouldn't mind shooting with some ethnic varieties myself.....

Just like any model, I don't seem to get allot of replies when I solicit them first. I'm supposing they either just get tired of being flooded with inquiries or just can't answer them all, because I generally contact models with outstanding portfolios that probably get allot of options of who to work with. So, they have to pick and choose I would guess.

I'd honestly like to find a model or 2 to work with on a semi-regular basis (who wouldn't) to try new creative ideas. It's tough though, because they are going to go where the money is highest. And I can't pay them all just to try ideas. I don't kid myself though, I don't do high-visibility fashion or "maxim" stuff that is going to end up making them famous, so I can't offer much to them in way of a reason to work with me other than trying to pay them when I can.

Jan 04 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Funny, I always have non-whites contact me. Hispanics are considered white, by the way. It seems you're doing anything right, though. I don't know what to advise you.

Jan 04 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

No matter what I post, I get african american men. Like three for every other reply,

Star

Jan 04 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

David Moyle wrote:

It's a puzzlement.  You do good work and models should be lining up to shoot with you. 

PAY ATTENTION NON-WHITE (OR WHATEVER) MODELS!  Contact this guy and work with him.

-Don

Jan 04 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

David Moyle wrote:

Hmm, pay for me to come out and I'll shoot with you!

smile

Jan 04 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

It's a puzzlement.  You do good work and models should be lining up to shoot with you. 

PAY ATTENTION NON-WHITE (OR WHATEVER) MODELS!  Contact this guy and work with him.

-Don

I'm flattered! But, as I said in another reply, I know I don't really offer them much in a way of a tear sheet or publicity. And, I'm not rich, so I can only pay them a little when they only do paid work. I lost a scheduled shoot to a girl who got an offer to do nude work for $500 that weekend, and she's never done nude work before. I can't blame her.

Jan 04 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

David Moyle wrote:

What I'm getting at, is I'd like to work with anyone non-white. If she's green and from Mars, that'd be fine if she has great features! wink

Again, be specific. So non white, tell them you are seeking black girls, asian girls,etc.

Jan 04 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

John Lavery wrote:

semantics! smile

Jan 04 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Angel Tara wrote:

Hmm, pay for me to come out and I'll shoot with you!

smile

Ya, see, that's my problem. If I was independantly wealthy, sure. I can only afford to budget for an hour or 2 a month with a model or 2. But that's where I loose shoots. A model gets a call for $500 to do some work the day we have scheduled and I can only pay her for a couple hours. What else is she gonna do?

Jan 04 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

David Moyle wrote:
Ya, see, that's my problem. If I was independantly wealthy, sure. I can only afford to budget for an hour or 2 a month with a model or 2. But that's where I loose shoots. A model gets a call for $500 to do some work the day we have scheduled and I can only pay her for a couple hours. What else is she gonna do?

OK, first off don't pay models.  You don't have to.  Secondly, quit whining.  You're good - what you need is positive attention.  Pick some local girls, message them, tell them they'll get prints if they'll get naked.  See where it goes. 

Repeat.

Being good means you should, by all rights, have models coming to you.

-Don

Jan 04 06 07:15 pm Link