Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Twelve Safe and One Dead

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Oops! I meant to say twelve dead and only one is still alive but remains in critical condition.

It's sad how there are so much negative news when you listen to the radio or watch the news. Either that or something about celebrities. This morning, I woke up to "there was a miscommunication. Last night, we were told that only one of the thirteen miners are dead. But it was the other way around."

Imagine, being given a light of hope and knowing that your family is safe and then all that hope, crushed in an instant a few hours later.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the trapped miners incident: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/mine.e … index.html

Jan 04 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

How about this, management learned within twenty minutes that the families had been given the wrong information.  They allowed them to celebrate for three hours before they told them the truth because they wanted to make sure they weren't misinformed twice.

Jan 04 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Yes, that had to have been devastating.  I was watching MSNBC (yep, I'm the one) when the word came out that they were alive.  Tucker Carlson was all over himself as he believed them to be the first with the good news.  I thought it was interesting that the press area remained vacant, but I accepted it like everyone else.  I woke up at 4:30 or so and couldn't believe it when I heard the update.

That mine owner, I believe is just one of those guys who really doesn't give a damn about the worker bees.  He's looking at the bottom line.  There is no way that he should have told those people (which he did) unofficially that 12 of the 13 had made it, without confirming the information first.  I believe that he was just so happy to hear it because the heat on him would be less due to his 200+ violations, that he wanted to believe it so bad, that he went on with the story without official confirmation.  He did, later say that he never said it officially.  Well, he never got up in front of the news cameras, but too many people said he did stand in front of the Church and announce that 12 were okay.

I cannot image the horror of loosing hope, then getting great news, only to have it turn out to be false.

I also think it will be one more nail in the coffin of the daily newspaper.  All of those headlines will go on all day today with false info.  I believe the daily newspaper will be ancient history within the next 25 years.

Jan 04 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
How about this, management learned within twenty minutes that the families had been given the wrong information.  They allowed them to celebrate for three hours before they told them the truth because they wanted to make sure they weren't misinformed twice.

Would we have all been happier with management if they were respoonsible for the families being mis-informed ... twice? Was it management that mis-informed them the first time? It seems checking the facts is always prudent.

Jan 04 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

This just goes to show how the press likes to screw things up. And to think, I wanted to be a journalist a few years ago....

My heart and prayers go out to all the families/friends of those lost in the mining accident.

Let us not forget one thing, though....To err is human, but to forgive...divine.

Jan 04 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

*F*ck*.

Jan 04 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

the twelve deaths are tragic.  The miscommunication was unfortunate.

Why do we obsess over these stories?

Doesn't anyone care about how many Pakistani earthquake survivors will die from exposure today because of a shortage of blankets?

How about the number of people dying right now from lack of food or potable water?

Does anyone remember the "tragedy" of the tsunami last year (dec. 2004?) and the number of people who died.... did you know that more people die EVERY YEAR from lack of access to clean water than died in that tsunami?

Jan 04 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

Doesn't anyone care about how many Pakistani earthquake survivors will die from exposure today because of a shortage of blankets?

How about the number of people dying right now from lack of food or potable water?

Does anyone remember the "tragedy" of the tsunami last year (dec. 2004?) and the number of people who died.... did you know that more people die EVERY YEAR from lack of access to clean water than died in that tsunami?

I hear you, but I don't understand.  Is your concern the media coverage or the forum discussion?  It's relevent news and is subject to discussion.  To talk about one doesn't indicate lack of concern over another.

If your concern is the media.  It's a business.  The business is to get ratings.  It's a sensational story.

Jan 04 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Peggy Weidner

Denton, Georgia, US

This is awful! sad
My prayers & thoughts go out to their families & friends!

Jan 04 06 03:06 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

Sadly, other than historians, no one really cares. Not even politicians.

Jan 04 06 07:32 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

wow, 8 replies and nobody has found a way to blame Bush yet?  I'm honestly shocked.

Running to hide.........

Jan 04 06 08:18 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Mary...you cynic you! wink

It has nothing to do with Bush. It does have something to do, or at least seems to do, with multiple saftey violations (one number I heard so far is in excess of 100), and a Union that is so weak in it's current state to do anything more to protect the workers. (Or an employer that did not do enough, and under current demand for call may not have enough "incentive")

It is very, very sad. I've heard short biographies of 11 of the 12. They seemed like really decent men.

Jan 04 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Gotta love Mary's wittiness!

Paul

Jan 04 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Mary wrote:
wow, 8 replies and nobody has found a way to blame Bush yet?  I'm honestly shocked.

Running to hide.........

I thought we all just assumed that it was his fault so nobody bothered to mention it.

Jan 04 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Mary wrote:

Running to hide.........

Well, I don't think he has mispronounced 2006 yet. But then again, I don't listen to him talk either. A dreadful thing that is. So...can't blame him (yet).

Jan 04 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

ok you know that the media can not be blamed for this....it is the management that knew the whole ordeal and decided to wait to tell the families, while they were glistening with joy that their loved ones were alive....i believed it at first, but whoever that leak was, is in a lot of deep shit.....

Jan 04 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

George ephrem

Jacksonville, Florida, US

well since every other event  that was bad , was Bush's fault , i can  only guess this must be his fault too!

I'm just curious how it can be

Jan 04 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Ian Weintraub wrote:

HEY! Don't mock the American attention-span or we'll hate you for 23 seconds!

Jan 04 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

BodyPainter Rich  wrote:
It is very, very sad. I've heard short biographies of 11 of the 12. They seemed like really decent men.

As sad as I am about the whole thing...ok, which is not very, I didn't know them and it's only 12 people, more than that died in car accidents in most people's state in the last 4 hours, but anyway - You expected the bio to make them sound like dickheads?

Jan 04 06 09:44 pm Link