Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > who let dick clark

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

hey, i was proud of dick for making it back from what was said to be a serious stroke. i've had the pleasure of working on a few of his productions and had a kind of funny "run-in" with him (well actually his wife) at a wrap party. he handled things like a gentleman. he's known as a hard-ass producer, but that night he proved he was/is a class act and a pretty cool guy.

now about mariah carey...i do love me a girl with some curves, but sweetheart!! i know your last album has been doing amazingly well and all (even better than you could have probably imagined), but it may be time to thing about pushing back from the celebration feast table...

Jan 05 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

41?

Jan 05 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Marksora wrote:
I think that might answer many questions.

Seriously...

Jan 05 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

BCG wrote:
then why was santa not in the coca cola ads???

Santa isn't spiritually neutral - polarbears are.  You've got to be politically correct.

Personally, I was glad to see Dick Clark.  Is he still under contract?  Probably.  Does that matter?  No.  It didn't feel right last year without him being a part of the broadcast.  Even after a stroke, he has more charisma than 95% of the zombies in Hollywood.

Jan 05 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

He owns the production company and most likely has a a multi year contract. he is also an icon of American culture and the worlds oldest teenager

Jan 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Santa switched to Pepsi when offered a $56 million five year contract according to the Coke spokesperson, Ms. Claus who herself is being sought by Victoria Secret as the 2006 Victoria Secret Xmas Bra model which they hope will lift sagging sales.

Some of us can remember New Years Eve before Dick Clark...

Jan 05 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Peggy Weidner

Denton, Georgia, US

Robert Helm wrote:
He owns the production company and most likely has a a multi year contract. he is also an icon of American culture and the worlds oldest teenager

Very well said! smile

Jan 05 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Now Guy Lombardo in NYC...........that was REALLY NEW YEARS EVE smile

Jan 05 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Elite Imaging

Oak Ridge, Florida, US

BCG wrote:
then why was santa not in the coca cola ads????

Elite Imaging wrote:
Because maybe Santa liked Dick too?

JM Dean wrote:
I'm not going to touch that one...

Thats what Santa said too, and look where it got him!
Lol

Jan 06 06 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

BCG wrote:
on tv???

Actually, it's an interesting story.  Dick Clark was not the original host of the show that became American Bandstand.  The original guy had all sorts of problems:  alcoholism, payola, "dating" a 14 year old girl from the show, and even vehicular manslaughter while driving drunk (and other things).  The original guy was dumped, and Clark was picked for his squeeky clean image.

Regarding the 2006 New Years broadcast:

>>>  Many of the people of the "American Bandstand" generation don't go out to celebrate; rather they are the target audience of the show.

>>>  Clark has always been loyal to the people he works with, unusually so by Hollywood standards.  Perhaps he inspired the same kind of loyalty?

>>>  In a morbid way, many people tuned in just to see how well he has been recovering from his stroke -- it's a ratings thing.

>>>  Dick Clark's production company still has a lot of clout.  For all I know, he might own the contract to produce the show.

Jan 06 06 11:22 am Link