Forums > Photography Talk > Test shoots for agents.....

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I have begun a relationship with a national agency, to remain un named for now.....

They asked me if I would agree to shoot 4 test shoots on a TFP basis, I reluctantly agreed......all the portfolio material in the world doesn't pay my bills, especially 4 back to back....but I've seen them all, all of them look great and they may benefit me somehow in my book....I see this as a way to get familiar with how they want things done and get a system down.......is it common to do test shoots on that basis for the first few shoots? Or does that usually continue a TFP trend with that agent? Why wouldn';t the model be paying for that? Hmmmm....

My main goal was to lay groundwork for a future relationship, meaning paid work once we get things rolling, I just hope they have the same idea in mind.....otherwise I'd be pissing in the wind by doing this at all.....

Jan 05 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

It's a way in, if what you want to do is paid testing for an agency.  And yes, it's normal.  And the only one you have to please is the booker.

-Don

Jan 05 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
It's a way in, if what you want to do is paid testing for an agency.  And yes, it's normal.  And the only one you have to please is the booker.

-Don

Great to know, that makes me happy :-) Thanks!

Jan 05 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Gotta invest the time and money to get the work.  The booker is probably doing this with half a dozen shooters looking for one or two, so make it shit-hot.

-Don

Jan 05 06 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My experience-when working with a new agency- is after the shoot, to schedule time with the agent to go over the film together (ALL of it...if you're shooting digital or print, I always felt contact sheets are the way to go...back in olden times, when I first started, everybody shot slide film, because that was what magazines needed to print from--I bucked the system, and told the agents if they could edit black and white film from a contact sheet, they were going to edit color film from a contact sheet, too...)  ANYWAY...I digress..
   The point of going over the film is to find out the agent's feelings about the shoot--did you bring back what they asked for?  Did they like the ideas?  How is the makeup and clothing stylist?  When they see they can send their models to you and get back images they can send to the clients so the models can work--VIOLA!  You're the new GREAT photographer they want to send everybody to.  NEVER forget--when you're shooting for an agency, you have to send back what they are asking for...be as creative as you want--just as long as it fits what they have asked for...There are some agents I've found I can't make happy no matter WHAT I try, and others who think they will never find anyone else who shoots just the way I do...
  It's a business of opinions...and the one that counts the most is the one writing the paycheck. Art is on your own time...and agents have to make sure photographers are dependable just the same way they have to put the new models through a few paces at the beginning.  Don't be a doormat, but if they are happy with the work you've done so far, present them with a rate sheet, and ask if it's in line with what the rest of the photographers in the area are charging...Good luck, and have LOTS of fun!

Jan 05 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

If you do tests for agencies do they provide makeup, hair, and wardrobe support?

Jan 05 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

A. H A M I L T O N

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Interesting, I wasn't aware of there being any real market in TN, but that's neither here nor there.

I've never had to do 4 free tests to get on with an agency and that might be a little excessive.  Was this agreement before they saw your work, or was it just a canned answer they gave you right off the bat?

That would answer a lot of the questions I have about it seeming a little excessive.

To answer Ched, yes and no.  They don't provide anyone, you have to arrange it yourself, but they will often give names and numbers of testing creative talent that you can get in contact with.

Other advice would be to find out what their books look like, websites aren't always the way to go.  Sometimes they only have their top talent on a website and their new faces division may be entirely different.  If you can swing their time, ask to see some of the books of their new faces to get an idea of what they like out of their first test.

Every booker and every agency is different, I can't stress this enough in some of the difficulties I faced when I first started (I am a test photographer, shooting with most of the big agencies in my market, it's 80% of what I do).  Find someone IN YOUR MARKET who tests for the agencies and pick their brain...what works in Dallas will most likely HURT you if you try and apply it to TN.  I can say the same thing of what works for NY and LA talent would hurt them here in Dallas...be smart, but most importantly, see what works locally and don't assume advice given to you over the net by ANYONE is valid for your market.

Andy

Jan 05 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Gotta invest the time and money to get the work.  The booker is probably doing this with half a dozen shooters looking for one or two, so make it shit-hot.

-Don

That's what I was hoping......my middle name will be shit-hot that day ;-)

Jan 05 06 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

A. H A M I L T O N wrote:
Interesting, I wasn't aware of there being any real market in TN, but that's neither here nor there.

I've never had to do 4 free tests to get on with an agency and that might be a little excessive.  Was this agreement before they saw your work, or was it just a canned answer they gave you right off the bat?

That would answer a lot of the questions I have about it seeming a little excessive.

To answer Ched, yes and no.  They don't provide anyone, you have to arrange it yourself, but they will often give names and numbers of testing creative talent that you can get in contact with.

Other advice would be to find out what their books look like, websites aren't always the way to go.  Sometimes they only have their top talent on a website and their new faces division may be entirely different.  If you can swing their time, ask to see some of the books of their new faces to get an idea of what they like out of their first test.

Every booker and every agency is different, I can't stress this enough in some of the difficulties I faced when I first started (I am a test photographer, shooting with most of the big agencies in my market, it's 80% of what I do).  Find someone IN YOUR MARKET who tests for the agencies and pick their brain...what works in Dallas will most likely HURT you if you try and apply it to TN.  I can say the same thing of what works for NY and LA talent would hurt them here in Dallas...be smart, but most importantly, see what works locally and don't assume advice given to you over the net by ANYONE is valid for your market.

Andy

Thanks for the reply.....I have worked a promo event with them once, and at that time they had already seen my work......of course you can't judge my photography based on event candids and what not......but also I am doing certain poses and facial expressions a certain way for them, whereas I am used to coming up with crazy shit on my own, and using the model's creativity as well.....

Jan 05 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

DerekJason photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I have come to understand that the agencie will send a model to you and they will pay you something and when the girls starts working after being signed they deduct it from her check I heard that from a model I was dating and saw it when I went ot Japan with her. If the agency pays for anything for the model food rent etc they always get there cut when the  company pays the agencie the agencie deducts it from there check and the model gets the rest sometimes the checks are very small because of all the costs that the model ran up its crazy but thats the modeling biz.

Jan 05 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

bman

Hollywood, Alabama, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
I have begun a relationship with a national agency, to remain un named for now.....

They asked me if I would agree to shoot 4 test shoots on a TFP basis, I reluctantly agreed......all the portfolio material in the world doesn't pay my bills, especially 4 back to back....but I've seen them all, all of them look great and they may benefit me somehow in my book....I see this as a way to get familiar with how they want things done and get a system down.......is it common to do test shoots on that basis for the first few shoots? Or does that usually continue a TFP trend with that agent? Why wouldn';t the model be paying for that? Hmmmm....

My main goal was to lay groundwork for a future relationship, meaning paid work once we get things rolling, I just hope they have the same idea in mind.....otherwise I'd be pissing in the wind by doing this at all.....

dude...good luck!

Jan 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

The agent/agency may very well be charging the model.   You are just not seeing the money.

Four is a bit much to do for free.   But sometimes that is the way the world works.
Make sure you are having some control of what models are coming to you.
Do not be a pushover or the respect will be hard to get back.

Jan 05 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

who is the agency?  if you have verified that they are legit, then be happy to have a steady source of good models.

Jan 05 06 09:17 pm Link