Forums > Photography Talk > please help me understand

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Los Angeles, California, US

the term "implied nudity"... maybe im stupid (very probable) but i just dont understand what that means. you're either naked or you're not.

Jan 05 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

you may be covering your parts so we are assuming your nude under whatever it is that is covering your private areas with other than cloths. 

Aren't we all implying nudity under our cloths?

Jan 05 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Yes. It is a truly scary thought (and reality) that under my clothes I am completey naked. Don't think about it! You could go completely insane by the sheer horror of it.

Jan 05 06 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

An example of implied nudity would be where the model is wearing a bra, but the straps are pulled down out of frame, so it looks like she is topless but she actually is not.

Topless is where the model has nothing covering her breasts.

Nude is where the model is naked in the studio.

You could have a nude that shows nothing and an implied that looks like it shows everything.

These terms are about how the shot is made.

If the model is naked and there is a table between the lens and their genetalia, then it is not an impled nude, it is a nude (aka an obscured nude).

Jan 05 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Ched wrote:
An example of implied nudity would be where the model is wearing a bra, but the straps are pulled down out of frame, so it looks like she is topless but she actually is not.

Topless is where the model has nothing covering her breasts.

Nude is where the model is naked in the studio.

You could have a nude that shows nothing and an implied that looks like it shows everything.

These terms are about how the shot is made.

If the model is naked and there is a table between the lens and their genetalia, then it is not an impled nude, it is a nude (aka an obscured nude).

thank G-d i dont care at all about doing anything close to implying nudity, this made my head hurt. thanks for the clarification

Jan 05 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

East Coast Visual Media

Altamonte Springs, Florida, US

I think I stand corrected!  but then again I don't put a table between me and my models for most practical shoots, unless there is snacking involved!

Jan 05 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Aswad Issa

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

"Implied nudity," in my personal experience, from the perspective of a model of course,  means that the model doesn't want to do anything where they have to be fully or partially nude.

Jan 06 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

open aperture wrote:
the term "implied nudity"... maybe im stupid (very probable) but i just dont understand what that means. you're either naked or you're not.

Surely you have also heard the term... and I am NOT joking... it has actually been used

"clothed nude"

That one, too, always gets a response from me of: DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Studio36

Jan 06 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Jordan Michael Zuniga

Implied nudity is indeed without most of your clothes on.
Think of it as being nude, but knowing that the prints will not show your goodies.
Either your hands or posture will cover them, or you will be wearing something that will.

In any case, any time you respond to an "implied nudity" advertisement, keep in mind that you should be comfotable if the photogrpher asks that you remove most of your clothes ... This is something best discussed in detail with the photographer.

Jan 06 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

studio36uk wrote:
Surely you have also heard the term... and I am NOT joking... it has actually been used

"clothed nude"

That one, too, always gets a response from me of: DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Studio36

Well not to be contrary (but I will)

My understanding is that you have to be wearing something to be clothed, hence if you are wearing no clothing then its a nude (I do not include shoes and/or accessories [hat, gloves, stockings, etc.] in this definition). 

In my opinion, if your hands/blanket/coat/pillow or what ever obscuring or blocking devise is used to imply that the subject is nude or to provide a modest cover to a otherwise more revealing images then you can consider this implied.

I will acknowledge your point that the term is an oxymoron.

Jan 06 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

Jordan Michael Zuniga wrote:
Implied nudity is indeed without most of your clothes on.
Think of it as being nude, but knowing that the prints will not show your goodies.
Either your hands or posture will cover them, or you will be wearing something that will.

In any case, any time you respond to an "implied nudity" advertisement, keep in mind that you should be comfotable if the photogrpher asks that you remove most of your clothes ... This is something best discussed in detail with the photographer.

IMPLIED NUDITY means the model has some type of clothing covering all the important parts but is posed so that none of the clothing is visible. Hence the term IMPLIED.
If the model has no top on and is using her hands she is TOPLESS but covered.
If the model has no clothes on she is NUDE. She may be covered in the images but she is still nude. Why are these terms so difficult to understand.

Jan 06 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jan 06 06 02:45 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

So...  The shot that I did (not in my port yet) where I was wearing a tiny tube top and small bikini bottoms, which were covered with flower petals... is considered implied?  I usually say I won't do implied....

Jan 06 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Megs Corner Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

If the tube top and bikini bottoms were covered with flowers than yes it was implied.  If you had no bikini bottoms and tube top on and covered with flowers you would be nude.

Jan 06 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Thats what I thought!  Hmmm...  To change my "willing to do" list, or not...  That is the question!

Jan 06 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Well,...like others have said,... you are naked but covering the vitals up..

Or,...you could be clothed, and appearing to be naked by the pose,...or the crop of the photo...

JP

Jan 06 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

"Implied" is not showing the pink bits.

Jan 07 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I think it's a gay term......but if done right, implied nude images can be great.

Jan 07 06 03:22 pm Link