Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Any Photo Historians or Trivia Buffs ???

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Let's please lock this thread. This was only to be a fact finder & the facts are found out. Image is deleted.

Thanks to all who responded...

Paul

Jan 07 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Paul Brecht wrote:
Ok,

Interesting story here...

My brother is a collector & also works in remodeling. He is currently working on a foreclosure deal in the greater Los Angeles area. The house was left w/ some collectables left as trash. He came across this film transparency:

https://www.pbprophoto.net/Lucy.jpg

That looks to be on a 3"x4" (rough guess) sheet of film. I took this snapshot of it, as I don't have a med. format scanner...

It appears to be a somewhat young Lucille Ball in a glamour shot. It's shot on Kodak Safety film & the colors are as is...

Any Ideas about the picture ??? What time period ???  Anything ???

I'd appreciate any help on this...

Thanks,

Paul

I`d say Lucille Ball (post:  I Love Lucy days) about 1962 ish when she was doing "The Lucy Show" More than likely a Rolleiflex or Mamiyaflex photo

Lucille Ball was a wonderful actress and is a legend in my eyes Lucy was the "bomb"

Jan 07 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Cool - thanks, that helps...

Jan 07 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Actualy this is where that photo is from

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … D%26sa%3DN

If thats an original transparency, you should find out more about who owned the house. Find out what else is in the house ect. and what else you might be able to get. Bet it was Lee Tannen or someone who did his photo work for him.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= … D%26sa%3DN

Jan 07 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Yes, very cool...  He said that there's boxes of photo stuff & he's going to go back this week & get it for me to look through...

Thanks...

Paul

Jan 07 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Ok, w/ what I've been armed w/...

I found the photographer to be John Engstead:

http://www.mptv.net/main/main_elements/engsteadbio.html

Here's the series that the image was from:

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/09/78/04/25/17 … 00X500.jpg

Thanks Peter...

Paul

Jan 07 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Why did you put your copyright and name on an image that is just a copy?

By copying it does that mean you own it?

Jan 07 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

YW Glad it helped

Jan 07 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
Why did you put your copyright and name on an image that is just a copy?

By copying it does that mean you own it?

Because I shot this of the slide & I want it to be known that it's from my camera, if some unsavory character lifts it & uses it...

So, the image of the slide is my protected work, & if this is the original positive film (which is quite possible, by the looks of things) I am holding copyright for my brother...

(edit) Oh, yeah & woof!  smile... here's a cyber bone Jack - good doggie...

Paul

Jan 07 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Paul Brecht wrote:
Because I shot this of the slide & I want it to be known that it's from my camera, if some unsavory character lifts it & uses it...

So, the image of the slide is my protected work, & if this is the original positive film (which is quite possible, by the looks of things) I am holding copyright for my brother...

(edit) Oh, yeah & woof!  smile... here's a cyber bone Jack - good doggie... not you or your brother...

Paul

you might want to understand "derivative works"....only the creator of the original work owns copyright....

you at this point, would be the unsavory character...you have effectively laid claim to someone else's work...

Jan 07 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Ok, my only reason for even posting up this picture was to find information. It is not to stake claim on someone els'e rights. The original author is indeed 6 feet under somewhere & I found that out thanks to being able to put an image up temporarily on the web...

I apologise for asking about it, or sharing this piece of history. I don't know how my brother can be attacked for "finding" something like this, that is considered to be trash disposed of, maybe I am wrong for putting a stamp on it, but like I said, it is simply for the sake of "if I see the image w/ the stamp" I would be able to track it...

Thanks to those who helped, I took the image down...

Paul

Jan 07 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Paul - I have had similar issues. 

The way you were replied to - I guess if you find a negative showing the back side of the grassy knoll when JFK was shot - you should just just go ahead and trash them - since you didn't take it - the photographer is dead - and you will be seen as unsavory for attempting to show them to anybody.

I really think your requests should be - taken as a serious issue.  There are huge numbers of negatives and slides that get trashed at estate sales and being dumped from storerooms of old photolabs all the time.

You have located a possible original image of a historical figure -

You now know the original photographer - thanks to those who helped. - who is dead.

So what can you do with it?  Do historical negatives have any value, or legal ability to do anything with?  ---   Or should we just light a campfire with them and to hell with saving them?

VintageV

Jan 07 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Paul Brecht wrote:
I apologise

Paul

Don`t apologise....dammm it was just kool as hell to see an old early 1960`s pic of Lucy smile

I had a friend who found some badass original 1940`s 35mm colour transparencies of the AMAZING Gene Tierney and if it wasn`t crazy enough photos of her in a bathing suit on a 1940`s Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ms Tierney was an avid HD enthusiast

Sharing history in photography is wonderful..........and there`s TON`s of stuff out there still to find and see, KEEP LOOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 07 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Vintagevista wrote:
Paul - I have had similar issues. 

The way you were replied to - I guess if you find a negative showing the back side of the grassy knoll when JFK was shot - you should just just go ahead and trash them - since you didn't take it - the photographer is dead - and you will be seen as unsavory for attempting to show them to anybody.

I really think your requests should be - taken as a serious issue.  There are huge numbers of negatives and slides that get trashed at estate sales and being dumped from storerooms of old photolabs all the time.

You have located a possible original image of a historical figure -

You now know the original photographer - thanks to those who helped. - who is dead.

So what can you do with it?  Do historical negatives have any value, or legal ability to do anything with?  ---   Or should we just light a campfire with them and to hell with saving them?

VintageV

what is wrong with you guys? nobody was saying any of those things, just that he can't claim copyright of copy image. the correct order of things is read > THINK > post....

Jan 08 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Color of Fashion

New York, New York, US

The author has the right to copyright of the image 70 years after death.

Great to see people taking care of images but the family should be asked if they want the images back.

Jan 08 06 04:45 pm Link