Forums > Photography Talk > Strobes vs Continuous Lighting

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

DemiM wrote:
I've also never seen a REALLY good photographer who uses hot lights.  One of the reasons is that there are some shots that can't be done with hot lights

I suggest reading this thread for examples of REALLY good photographers who use hot lights.

Don't forget that some shots can't be done with strobes.

Jan 09 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

DemiM wrote:
I've also never seen a REALLY good photographer who uses hot lights.  One of the reasons is that there are some shots that can't be done with hot lights

What do you think really great photographers used before strobes came along?  The first monobloc didn't hit the scene until 1963.  Hell, real photographers use flash powder.

Jan 09 06 03:52 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brian Diaz wrote:

DemiM wrote:

Yah,but there more positives in using strobes

ps. Can you post a few links to those great photographers. I want to change my mind. I haven't seen any yet and do hope there are!!

Jan 09 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

William Kious wrote:

What do you think really great photographers used before strobes came along?  The first monobloc didn't hit the scene until 1963.  Hell, real photographers use flash powder.

Each person has differen't views on what's great and what's just ok.  1963 was WAY before my time,so I don't even go there.

Jan 09 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

DemiM wrote:

so all the hi-key glamour stuff from the 1940's isn't any good?

Jan 09 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Don Spiro

Astoria, New York, US

Remember that strobes are relatively new, all the great photographers used ambient or hot lights.

I'm from a cinema background. I use strobes for shooting in locations with a limited power supply or if I'm shooting some beauty shots where i just need to illuminate, rather than light. I prefer the flexibility of hot lights. There are more options, from hiding a two inch kinoflo in someone's palm to pinpointing a background object with a dedo to mixing a key with practicals (a strobe will overpower Xmas lights, for example).

I also use 400 speed Portra in my medium format (rated at 320) and like to shoot around a f4 at 1/60, it seems more natural to have a shallower depth of field.

But what you see is NOT necessarily what you get, you need to know your stock, what latitude it has and where the toe of the gamma is if you really want to control your exposure.

Jan 09 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Don Spiro

Astoria, New York, US

Also, being from a cinema background, I'm not used to retouching. Most of my prints are straight from the negative with no photoshop work, so I like the control of hot lights.

Jan 09 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I think part of the point is being missed here.  That is say you have $350 and you want to get your first lights.  Buy a stobe or a used strobe kit, it will be much easier to make good images.  Yes you can make wonderful images with continuous lights, but to do that you'll need to spend a significant ammount of money, at least that of a strobe kit (just search fleabay for "mole richardson").  Even then you still wont be able to stop motion which is more often than not a good thing.  The exception to the expensive rule may be in California where there are many production studios that come and go and continuous equipment (I've heard) changes hands (and falls off trucks) frequently.  So if you look hard or are willing to wrench on some lights you could score a good deal.  One the cheap side of things, I believe one could do better work with a one strobe AB starter kit and a piece of foamcore than a similarly priced 3 light Smith Victor kit.  Yes the yesteryear Hollywood portraits were beautiful and yes they used hot lights, they were also heavily retouched, the subjects were generally posed in such a way that they could hold the pose easily, the cameras were on huge tripods/stands, and I'd guess that if adjusted for inflation no non-professional would consider buying one of those lighting setups today.

Jan 09 06 10:28 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

DemiM wrote:

And for the rest of the shots that CAN be done with hot lights.....there are hot lights. Even with my strobe, I will still use them.

It's not nice to lump everyone who uses hot lights into the category of being not a REAL photographer.

Jan 09 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

Strobes are cooler and safer. The images are a bit clearer with strobe. Hot lights tend to make the model sweat. I have also had two bulbs explode during a shoot...the hot blue glass burned me and melted about 30 triangle shaped burns on my back drop....oh ya, and melted the carpet.

Jan 09 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

visionmedia wrote:
Strobes are cooler and safer. The images are a bit clearer with strobe. Hot lights tend to make the model sweat. I have also had two bulbs explode during a shoot...the hot blue glass burned me and melted about 30 triangle shaped burns on my back drop....oh ya, and melted the carpet.

This may come off as a dumb question but didn't the metal screen on the fixture trap the exploding bulb or was there no protection (or was there that many small fragments)..
i have been told that it's somethin you never forget when a mole-richard fresnel 2K or up decides to blow (even with the metal screen).

Jan 09 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
It's not nice to lump everyone who uses hot lights into the category of being not a REAL photographer.

I didn't say real..I said REALLY GOOD.

Jan 09 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

visionmedia wrote:

Cooler, yes, safer? Strobes run at 450V up inside.  If anything would explode it's the strobe capacitors.  Hotlight tubes implode.  And yes, don't touch the tubes, strobe or hotlight.  Anything that runs on electricity is inherently dangerous, take it from an EE.  smile

I was once burnt by a Profoto Ringlight.  1200WS full power on your bare arm will leave a mark, oh was that hot.  People kept asking me how I got a circular tan.

Images are clearer not because of the light used, it depends on who is holding the camera, that's totally irrelevant.

Jan 09 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

DemiM wrote:
ps. Can you post a few links to those great photographers. I want to change my mind. I haven't seen any yet and do hope there are!!

D. Brian Nelson is one.  Published worldwide.

I am not "good", but some images on my profile here was shot with a modified Tota light.  Most were Profoto.  Guess which ones.

Jan 09 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

visionmedia

Troy, Michigan, US

utako omori wrote:

This may come off as a dumb question but didn't the metal screen on the fixture trap the exploding bulb or was there no protection (or was there that many small fragments)..
i have been told that it's somethin you never forget when a mole-richard fresnel 2K or up decides to blow (even with the metal screen).

I was using Smith Vector sockets.. they do not come with any screens...and for never forgeting the sound, your friend is right....first i checked for bullet wounds and then threw out my underware.

Jan 09 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mastrianni

New York, New York, US

lll wrote:

DemiM wrote:

Kinos;
http://www.melvinsokolsky.com/

HMI's
http://www.peterlindbergh.com

Nothing
http://www.unicef.org/salgado/

Don't be so xenophobic,...there are many ways to light an image.

Jan 09 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

fitnessforyoutoo

Danville, California, US

You can get really cheap strobes off of Ebay, they have Britek brand 150 ws ones for under 100 dollars each. They are not the best but do the job and they do warrantee them. Or you can get one Alien Bees light for your budget.

Jan 09 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I suggest reading this thread for examples of REALLY good photographers who use hot lights.

Yes, Strobes freeze action, Continuous lights allow some movement to show because of and depending on the shutter speed. Hair blowing, fabric blowing - movewment you can't get with strobes.

I am a strobe shooter but if I want the effect of movement in my photo I have to go with continuius lighting.

Rear curtan sync is not the same thing.

Jan 09 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

phil placko

Struthers, Ohio, US

I started with Hot lights and once I used my buddies strobes I sold the hots and bought strobes. And the strobes were the same cost. Believe it or not I use the el-cheapo JTL 160's and they have modeling lights and adjustable to 1/8 power, i love them.

Jan 09 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Who uses hot lights?  Everyone that's been around more than 20 years for sure has, and those who want the advantages of hot lights do.

Who uses strobes?  Everyone else.

Nothing wrong with either one and there's no wrong answer, but for those who don't know what hot lights are, they should do more research.  Tungsten is a great answer to some questions, where strobe is a fine answer to some other questions.  Neither is the answer to every question.

I used strobes commercially for a long time.  4000WS of Normans.  Now that I don't shoot commercial stuff I use hot lights because I prefer what I can do with them.  I am not sure strobes are the best thing for anyone...EXCEPT commercial photographers.  Commercial photographers who are doing product/fashion/food ... any kind of studio work that requires extremely fine grain, deep DOF, color fidelity AND is assignment work, need strobes. 

Otherwise, explore what can be done with a window and a pretty girl for a few years before you buy anything.

-Don

Jan 09 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mastrianni wrote:

lll wrote:

DemiM wrote:

Kinos;
http://www.melvinsokolsky.com/

HMI's
http://www.peterlindbergh.com

Nothing
http://www.unicef.org/salgado/

Don't be so xenophobic,...there are many ways to light an image.

Well,thanks for posting it. Here are my honest opinions about those links

First link:  can't say anything.Don't have a magnifying glass.
Second link:  Don't see any pics
Third link:  Nothing great here. Too small as well.

I think all great photographers are shooting strobes now...

Jan 10 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

DemiM wrote:
...I think all great photographers are shooting strobes now...

Nope.  All great photographers are shooting with any light of their choosing, including the sun or a Mag-lite.  Great photographers use the right tool to realize what they have in mind, lighting equipments are just "tools".  Using tools to define result is like saying I should use a screw to hang a picture instead of a nail because I have a screwdriver but not a hammer.

Jan 10 06 01:16 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

lll wrote:

Nope.  All great photographers are shooting with any light of their choosing, including the sun or a Mag-lite.  Great photographers use the right tool to realize what they have in mind, lighting equipments are just "tools".  Using tools to define result is like saying I should use a screw to hang a picture instead of a nail because I have a screwdriver but not a hammer.

Ok,I'll come from another angle.

The light of their choosing would be the strobes as they understand that the lighting equipment are just "tools" and that's the best tool for photography...

Jan 10 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Mastrianni

New York, New York, US

{First link: can't say anything.Don't have a magnifying glass.}

Is this better;

http://www.marekandassociates.com/view.cfm?id=10

{Second link: Don't see any pics}

Look harder or try here;

http://www.mfilomeno.com/peterlindbergh/lindbergh.html

(didn't know I would have to hold your hand)

{Third link: Nothing great here. Too small as well.}

Salgado is the most celebrated Magnum photographer of the century,....

If you can't see it in these images, you'll never get it. So either put down the camera or specialize in senior portraiture with your local schools.

Melvin is a great guy and was shooting Twiggy before you were weaned. And, in fact, was inducted into the ICP hall of fame last year. If you don't appreciate and show a modicum of respect for what came before, you will go nowhere.

Very sad indeed. You're right,...you're a "real pro",...go shoot something with your alien bees,....I need to puke.

Jan 10 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

DemiM wrote:
The light of their choosing would be the strobes as they understand that the lighting equipment are just "tools" and that's the best tool for photography...

I guess you just don't get it or simply have too much ego to accept any other way but yours.

There is no such thing as the best "tool", just like you can't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail, or use a soldering iron as a glue gun.  Your light of choice might be strobes for things you shoot, may not be for them.  And honestly, who are you to tell others that their choices are inferior than yours (by saying "best" then you automatically put a relative superiority on your choice).  Give me a break.

Terry Richardson has used a table top lamp (a hotlight by definition).  Plus many others.

And Mastriani beat me to it with more images.

Jan 10 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mastrianni wrote:
Salgado is the most celebrated Magnum photographer of the century,....

If you can't see it in these images, you'll never get it. So either put down the camera or specialize in senior portraiture with your local schools.

Melvin is a great guy and was shooting Twiggy before you were weaned. And, in fact, was inducted into the ICP hall of fame last year. If you don't appreciate and show a modicum of respect for what came before, you will go nowhere.

Very sad indeed. You're right,...you're a "real pro",...go shoot something with your alien bees,....I need to puke.

OK,I'll post an answer.I was giggling for 10 minutes after reading this.
Are you serious or drunk?
Oh,geez,If he's so celebrated,then maybe I should go ahead and force myself into loving his stuff...
If he's the most celebrated photographer,doesn't mean I have to like him. If everyone I know loves Britney Spears and Rolling Stones,doesn't mean I should. If you don't understand that,then maybe YOU shouldn't be shooting.  I don't care who he was shooting or if most of the world loves him or if his photo is in the hall of fame. You have to have your own vision. I hate people with "John's" effected mind. Think for yourself and THEN maybe you'll get somewhere.

There are tons of great photographers out there. Maybe 5-20 years ago they were shooting with the hot light,but it's changed. They saw the advantages the strobes give. If one can't see the advantages of strobes over hot lights then it's because of being poor,cheap or plain stupid.

It's like comparing a Canon A95 to a 20D.  A95 can give you awesome pics,but 20D is much better and that's what professionals use(10D,1D,whatever). This was the question,right?

Jan 10 06 04:11 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

DemiM wrote:
Each person has differen't views on what's great and what's just ok.  1963 was WAY before my time,so I don't even go there.

You've missed out on some excellent photographers, then, and even more artists-in-general.

Jan 10 06 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

DemiM (Regarding Salgado) wrote:
Oh,geez,If he's so celebrated,then maybe I should go ahead and force myself into loving his stuff...

No. You might benefit from examining his work instead of dismissing it solely because you don't like it.

You claimed "I've also never seen a REALLY good photographer who uses hot lights.  One of the reasons is that there are some shots that can't be done with hot lights"; you didn't say that no photographers you LIKED used hot lights. Even if you ignore the excellent photographers from before 1963, there are many; Mastrianni listed just a few.

You also stated a few specific photographers with decades of experience at the top of their fields know less about lighting than you do because "The light of their choosing would be the strobes as they understand that the lighting equipment are just "tools" and that's the best tool for photography..." and they don't use strobes.

Not only do you feel they know less than you, their choice of using hot lights is "because of being poor,cheap or plain stupid. ".

DemiM wrote:
I don't care who he was shooting or if most of the world loves him or if his photo is in the hall of fame. You have to have your own vision. I hate people with "John's" effected mind. Think for yourself and THEN maybe you'll get somewhere.

Um, Federico Mastrianni has "gotten somewhere". Have you heard of Advertising Photographers of America? If you follow fashion, you've almost certainly seen some of his work.

Jan 10 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Regan Photography

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Depends on what your shooting....and what results you want. For people I'll almost always use strobes. For still-life I'll use hot lights or a combination. I'll use a 3x4 softbox overhead and CC some 300 watt Arri's for highlights around the set. I have not shot with any Kino-flow yet but think you'd run into a very slow shutter speed problem.

Jan 10 06 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Seth Rutledge

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

DemiM wrote:
OK,I'll post an answer.I was giggling for 10 minutes after reading this.
If he's the most celebrated photographer,doesn't mean I have to like him. If everyone I know loves Britney Spears and Rolling Stones,doesn't mean I should. If you don't understand that,then maybe YOU shouldn't be shooting.  I don't care who he was shooting or if most of the world loves him or if his photo is in the hall of fame. You have to have your own vision. I hate people with "John's" effected mind. Think for yourself and THEN maybe you'll get somewhere.

There are tons of great photographers out there. Maybe 5-20 years ago they were shooting with the hot light,but it's changed. They saw the advantages the strobes give. If one can't see the advantages of strobes over hot lights then it's because of being poor,cheap or plain stupid.

It's like comparing a Canon A95 to a 20D.  A95 can give you awesome pics,but 20D is much better and that's what professionals use(10D,1D,whatever). This was the question,right?

It just means your definition of "Great" is different from most photographers...So, sure, you're right, strobes are the best.  If you set your standards so you don't like anything else, then whatever you like has to be the best.

Personally, having shot with both strobes and hotlights, I think they're both pretty cool.

Oh, and it's nothing like comparing an A95 to a 20D, because professionals use both, all the time.  I lived in NYC for years and saw photogs on the streets with hot lights as recently as last Spring.

Jan 10 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

DemiM wrote:

No, that's simply ignorant.  Even when you're pointed in the right direction, you can't seem to see the truth.  Compare your photographs to those of the folks that have been trying to help you.  Even on the surface it's obvious that they know more about lighting than you do.

Strobes are certainly a must-have for wannabes, but they're only another tool, and neither the most important one nor the only light source.

(I can't believe you've never heard of Salgado...)

-Don

Jan 10 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Megs Corner Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I want to state first that some of the best well known photographers started out using only hot lights (Ansel Adams).  I use a strobe system FotoTech that I bought off ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/2DreamMaker.  I love them because they are not only strobes but have the ability of Continuous light.  What I see is what I get and I love having both options.  Whether or not to use hot lights or strobes is strictly the photographers prefernce.  My studio is smaller so hot lights are out although I love how the portraits come out.  When I first started out I only used hot light.  You can go to Home Depot and buy garage lights and they'll work for you.  I just wanted to add my two cents.

Jan 10 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Megs Corner Photography

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Dont know why link didn't work here it is again http://stores.ebay.com/2DreamMaker

Jan 10 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

JonasJ

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

That is just dumb, I know a lot of VERY good photographer who more or less only shoots with HMI, it all depends on what kind of light you want.

check out this photographer she more or less never uses strobes only HMI.

http://www.signevilstrup.dk

Strobes got a lot of advances in many cases, but HMI is good for some things it all depends on what look you want in your pictures.

I must say I did not read the complet thread so if we are talking in general and for most cases etc I would always go for strobes.

//jonasj.com

Jan 10 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

CATANIA PHOTOGRAPHY

Bethpage, New York, US

Don't forget about your shutter speed! With continuous lighting it is hard to keep a shutter speed that is ideal for shooting live (moving) models, or if your looking to shoot at a smaller aperture of DOF reasons. I prefer the control that shooting with strobed gives me. Peace.

seek the truth it is hiding in plan site...

Jan 10 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Sanders McNew

New York, New York, US

DemiM wrote:

Then I must be a shitty photographer.  I use only hotlights.

Why?  Mainly because I prefer to work with inexperienced models, or people who aren't models at all.  And I find the flash and whine of the strobes are a distraction to most people.  They diminish the sense of intimacy that my work requires.

There are ways around the temperature issue.  I made a softbox out of a Tupperware underbed clothes storage box -- lined it with aluminum foil, and wired 12 screw-in fluorescent bulbs inside it, and covered it with diffusion cloth.  That gives me > 1200 watts (tungsten equivalent) of cool soft continuous light, that many mistake for natural window light in my photography.  (Visit www.mcnew.net for samples.)  The models are cool (literally) with it, and it feels good to stand in front of it.

But then, I'm obviously not a REALLY good photographer so you can safely ignore this post.

Sanders McNew
www.mcnew.net

Jan 10 06 09:53 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

DemiM wrote:

I've worked with several REALLY good photographers who use hot lights, but they are absolutely miserable.  Especially in summer with with only a tiny little window AC.  I could have melted.

Jan 10 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Can I hijack this thread? 

Part of this discussion has been very interesting (the part that was informative and helpful not the namecalling psychorants) and I am learning a lot. 

The QUESTION I HAVE has to do with Strobes vs. Flash units.  Perhaps I should be more specific, I am considering purchasing either a set of strobes (Alienbees) or more flash units (Nikon SB-800).

I'd like to hear thoughts on the benefits of one over the other.

My priorities are:

Portability
I'd like to use them ANYWHERE
Consistency and Control

Jan 10 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Speedlights are going to be MUCH more portable, as they are designed to be attached to your camera and they run on AA batteries.  However they are not designed for studio work.  They can be used as such, but that's not what the engineers had in mind while they were being designed.

By the way, the terms "strobe" and "flash" are largely interchangable.

Jan 10 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

MEMasonPhotography wrote:
I have heard the DynaPhos (not dynalite) by Amvona (amvona.com) are supposed to be pretty cool. Even with that do you think that they would still be too hot to use with a live model?

That depends on how many lights you're using, the wattage of each light, the distance from the lights to the model, the size, ventalation, and temperature of your studio, etc.

Remember that ALL motion pictures are shot with "hot lights".  It's done all the time...

That's why strobes often come with modeling lights.

you still have to previsualize-given that the modeling light power is a fraction of the strobe/actual need....hence my point

Jan 10 06 11:42 am Link