Forums > Photography Talk > Strobes vs Continuous Lighting

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

DemiM wrote:
Each person has differen't views on what's great and what's just ok.  1963 was WAY before my time,so I don't even go there.

lmao...

then you should scrap everything you now know about photography, optics, light, composition, color, texture, art...or life in general because most of it came along long before 1963. kinda like you.

even the most experienced, successful, purely digital artists understand that art did not begin at the inception of the first ccd chip or hard drive. whether you use hot lights or not, most artistic lighting concepts stem from our biggest hotlight--the sun. photographers have emulated what the sun does--be it as a direct source or indirect. and like it or not hotlights, be it a 5K mole richardson, a 60w houselamp, or a votive candle--have been the start and the guiding force of most lighting for photographers.

if you cannot fathom this you are not a "photographer", you are the definition of a GWC. you don't have to be a professional to be a photographer, but you do need to understand that photographer is one who "writes with light".

just for fun check out:

sheila metzner:
http://www.metergallery.com/viewCollect … 1625838703

horst:
http://www.horstphorst.com/
(sorry that horst is dead but he was shooting up until he fell over)

anton corbijn:
http://www.corbijn.co.uk/

just a few examples of "really good photographers" who use hotlights.

while i don't put myself in the company of the above, i consider myself a really good photographer--along with a bucketful of others on this site who shoot primarily with hotlights. (for instance, see james graham mm #2390) although i use strobes, none of the images currently in my mm portfolio used strobe. several of the images which appear to be natural light are lit with hotlights. accomplishing that look with strobes would have been much more tedious and challenging. you use the tool that works best for the job.

Jan 10 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Jan 10 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

JMX Photography wrote:

I did one shoot under continous lights and it was horrible, camera shake even at F2.8 iso 400 with a 50mm lens.

Camera shake while using continuous light?  Did you turn them on before you shot?

Jan 10 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

DemiM wrote:

Each person has differen't views on what's great and what's just ok.  1963 was WAY before my time,so I don't even go there.

as if we couldn't have guessed that (guffaw)

Jan 10 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

lll wrote:

Nope.  All great photographers are shooting with any light of their choosing, including the sun or a Mag-lite.  Great photographers use the right tool to realize what they have in mind, lighting equipments are just "tools".  Using tools to define result is like saying I should use a screw to hang a picture instead of a nail because I have a screwdriver but not a hammer.

Exactly.

Well put.

Jan 10 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

DemiM wrote:

More positivies in using strobes?  Why because YOU said so?  Bottom line is they are both good, it depends 100% on your needs and what you are shooting.  There are times when strobes won't do the job and times when hot lights won't do the job, to say that either is better than the other is just amatuerish.....GWC....it just all depends.

BTW...Gary Bernstein uses hot lights for some of his work, to name one, "....photos he has just finished using a Chimera reflector and Lowel Hot Lights."

Jan 10 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

BasementStudios wrote:
Bottom line is they are both good, it depends 100% on your needs and what you are shooting.  There are times when strobes won't do the job and times when hot lights won't do the job, to say that either is better than the other is just amatuerish.....GWC....it just all depends.

BTW...Gary Bernstein uses hot lights for some of his work, to name one, "....photos he has just finished using a Chimera reflector and Lowel Hot Lights."

exactly! you also bring up a great point that many strobe users forget, most light modifiers are available for BOTH light sources--like soft boxes. the bulk of the ones for strobes were actually based things designed for hotlights.

Jan 10 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Speedlights are going to be MUCH more portable, as they are designed to be attached to your camera and they run on AA batteries.  However they are not designed for studio work.  They can be used as such, but that's not what the engineers had in mind while they were being designed.

By the way, the terms "strobe" and "flash" are largely interchangable.

Thanks Brian.  Those are some of the issues I have been thinking about.  The Speedlights (thanks for reminding me of the more specific term) are definately more portable and they are wireless which I see as another huge plus. 

I would really appreciate a further explanation of ways Speedlights are NOT ideal for studio work (I don't use a studio but the issues may be relevant anyway).  I already know that they are simply not as powerful but I would love to hear more thoughts on the subject.

Jan 10 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

Mastrianni wrote:
{First link: can't say anything.Don't have a magnifying glass.}

Is this better;

http://www.marekandassociates.com/view.cfm?id=10

{Second link: Don't see any pics}

Look harder or try here;

http://www.mfilomeno.com/peterlindbergh/lindbergh.html

(didn't know I would have to hold your hand)

{Third link: Nothing great here. Too small as well.}

Salgado is the most celebrated Magnum photographer of the century,....

If you can't see it in these images, you'll never get it. So either put down the camera or specialize in senior portraiture with your local schools.

Melvin is a great guy and was shooting Twiggy before you were weaned. And, in fact, was inducted into the ICP hall of fame last year. If you don't appreciate and show a modicum of respect for what came before, you will go nowhere.

Very sad indeed. You're right,...you're a "real pro",...go shoot something with your alien bees,....I need to puke.

Easy now...he shoots with strobes you don't want to piss off the GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER....gotta love those GWCs.

Excellent links, all of them.  If you can't see the quality in the work of these photographers it's time to move on to a different career, or in this case hobby.  You don't have to LIKE the work to appreciate the quality of it.  Thanks again for those links....added to my favorites right away.

Jan 10 06 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

DemiM wrote:
I've also never seen a REALLY good photographer who uses hot lights.  One of the reasons is that there are some shots that can't be done with hot lights

GWC

Jan 10 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

DemiM wrote:
I've also never seen a REALLY good photographer who uses hot lights.  One of the reasons is that there are some shots that can't be done with hot lights

Jan 10 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

DemiM wrote:
OK,I'll post an answer.I was giggling for 10 minutes after reading this.
Are you serious or drunk?
Oh,geez,If he's so celebrated,then maybe I should go ahead and force myself into loving his stuff...
If he's the most celebrated photographer,doesn't mean I have to like him. If everyone I know loves Britney Spears and Rolling Stones,doesn't mean I should. If you don't understand that,then maybe YOU shouldn't be shooting.  I don't care who he was shooting or if most of the world loves him or if his photo is in the hall of fame. You have to have your own vision. I hate people with "John's" effected mind. Think for yourself and THEN maybe you'll get somewhere.

There are tons of great photographers out there. Maybe 5-20 years ago they were shooting with the hot light,but it's changed. They saw the advantages the strobes give. If one can't see the advantages of strobes over hot lights then it's because of being poor,cheap or plain stupid.

It's like comparing a Canon A95 to a 20D.  A95 can give you awesome pics,but 20D is much better and that's what professionals use(10D,1D,whatever). This was the question,right?

You sir are a plain idiot...I've never in my life heard such amatuer dribble in my life.  You don't have to like a particular photographer's style to respect their work, that's just moronic.

While you're spouting off you garbage and since you can't see the value of hot lights and the photgraphers that do use them, why don't share your favorite photgraphers.  Who do you consider to be the best photographers right now.

Jan 10 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

BasementStudios wrote:
Easy now...he shoots with strobes you don't want to piss of the GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER....gotta love those GWCs.

...and their undying allegiance to AlienBees (sorry, can't help it).

I hasten to add, it is the combination of GWCs and the AlienBees that's funny, not the serious photographers with AlienBees (like Christian Behr etc.).  AB makes good lights for the money.

Jan 10 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

lll wrote:

...and their undying allegiance to AlienBees (sorry, can't help it).

I hasten to add, it is the combination of GWCs and the AlienBees that's funny, not the serious photographers with AlienBees (like Christian Behr etc.).  AB makes good lights for the money.

Yes they do...and the GWCs are giving them a bad reputation.  Funny...seems the two always go hand in hand too.

Jan 10 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Photofurnace wrote:

Thanks Brian.  Those are some of the issues I have been thinking about.  The Speedlights (thanks for reminding me of the more specific term) are definately more portable and they are wireless which I see as another huge plus. 

I would really appreciate a further explanation of ways Speedlights are NOT ideal for studio work (I don't use a studio but the issues may be relevant anyway).  I already know that they are simply not as powerful but I would love to hear more thoughts on the subject.

I don't mean to be a jerk about it, but you should start a new thread, as it is a new topic.  I'll answer there.  Thanks.  smile

Jan 10 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

BasementStudios wrote:

Camera shake while using continuous light?  Did you turn them on before you shot?

yes.

Jan 10 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

every image in my port was shot with hot lights, have to throw away at least half even with image stabilized lenses, they often seem very soft, switched to strobes and the difference was amazing, sharp, clear tight images, probably never go back to hotlights.

Jan 11 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

johnny olsen

Los Angeles, California, US

i have an idea, why don't you try both systems (rent them) and see which one YOU like better. wink

Jan 11 06 02:25 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

johnny olsen wrote:
i have an idea, why don't you try both systems (rent them) and see which one YOU like better. wink

Or just use the sun and not even reflectors, right, Johnny?  smile

Jan 11 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Voltaire

This question has boggled my mind for a while now.  I have only been shooting for 2 years.  I use white lightning which is manufactured by the same company as Alien Bees.  A light is a light is a light.  I dont think it really matters if you are using super expensive strobe equipment or alien bees.  Just get the light modifiers to control your lights.

Sometimes I think the grass is much greener in the hotlight field.  I don't know because I have never owned any.  With strobes you really have to previsualize everything.  Even with the modeling light because it really does not look the same in the final outcome.

I think strobes have worked well for me.  The sun has worked wonders too.  Both in combination have been ideal.  I am not a mathematician and I can't tell you about wattseconds and light temperatures.  I do know this:

1. Some of the best pictures I have ever taken were with my $200.00 Nikon film camera and a disk reflector.

2. Stobes have a tough learning curve but can be portable and invaluable to your photographic arsenal.

3.  Damn I wish I had some hotlights!

4.  I have seen amazing pictures from photographers where they had no disk reflector, no strobes, no hotlight and let the sun work its magic and still  have amazing shots.

5.  There is no right answer.  Its just two different paths.  They both lead in the same direction.  smile  Good luck!

Jan 11 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

MEMasonPhotography wrote:
I have heard the DynaPhos (not dynalite) by Amvona (amvona.com) are supposed to be pretty cool. Even with that do you think that they would still be too hot to use with a live model?

That depends on how many lights you're using, the wattage of each light, the distance from the lights to the model, the size, ventalation, and temperature of your studio, etc.

Remember that ALL motion pictures are shot with "hot lights".  It's done all the time...

That's why strobes often come with modeling lights.

I would like to see a video/film done with strobes...how might that happen?  Of course they use hot lights, they dont have any other choice, they are not freezing a particular moment in time with a single frame.  So that point is moot!

Feb 07 08 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

ImageManufacturing

Morristown, Tennessee, US

There is an article in Professional Photographer Magazine this month about cont. lights. I just skimmed it so far. It had some pluses with the cooler greener versions on the market. I think that all 'green' item come at a higher cost these days. If they would lower the overall operating cost I might consider them.

ImageManufacturing.com

Feb 07 08 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Imacaulae Media

Columbus, Georgia, US

Strobes, monolights, ie. Photogenic, white lightning, OR Continuous lighting like Dynalights from Amvona, Which is better? Or are they the same? Is it a matter of preferance? Or is there a real advantag/disadvantage to one or the other?

A lot depends on what you are shooting, and what camera you are using.  If you are doing anything that needs to freeze motion, you need to check the maxium flash sync speed of your camera if you want to use strobes. My Canon is 1/200 and the Nikon is 1/250.  Should be in your manual.  If you need to shoot over the flash sync speed of your camera, you should go with constant lighting.  Normal studio apertures will run from f-5.6 to f-16, depending on the depth of field you need.  There are occasions that you will shoot a wider aperture when you need to fuzz the background

Constant lighting get hot.  Even the modeling lamps on strobes can heat up a set, especially in the summer.

Less expensive constant lighting will provide constant color temperature as compared with similarly priced strobes. Some of the lower priced strobes will have a variance in intensity and color temperature from flash to flash, and will change greater as they heat up.  This can have an impact on your exposure and color balance.

Many of the on-line sites will have customer reviews.  These are generally very helpful.  B&H is a great source for shopping and getting buyer reviews.  Always try to buy locally.  It's always nice to have that local support.

Feb 07 08 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

MichaelDean

Austin, Texas, US

I use strobes on almost everything.  However, I often like to drag hotlight or ambient light into the photo as well.  I get sharpness where I want it and smoothness where I want it and rarely have to do any real retouching.

Feb 07 08 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Imacaulae Media

Columbus, Georgia, US

Photofurnace wrote:
Can I hijack this thread? 

Part of this discussion has been very interesting (the part that was informative and helpful not the namecalling psychorants) and I am learning a lot. 

The QUESTION I HAVE has to do with Strobes vs. Flash units.  Perhaps I should be more specific, I am considering purchasing either a set of strobes (Alienbees) or more flash units (Nikon SB-800).

I'd like to hear thoughts on the benefits of one over the other.

My priorities are:

Portability
I'd like to use them ANYWHERE
Consistency and Control

I tried the "Portable Studio" using eight (8) of the Nikon SB800's and the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander.  They eat batteries, the intensity just isn't going to give you the light you need, and the infrared triggering has challenges when you have lights placed where they can't get a clear signal.  It is difficult to set speed lights to the correct f-stop, and I am not aware of a flash meter that will trigger the lights.  Decent studio lighting will allow you to adjust each light individually in 1/10 of a f-stop increment, and then meter the set to to the exact working aperture.  If I thought the speedlight would work, believe me, I would use them.  But, I went back to lugging around my soft boxes, stands, light generators and a 220v Honda generator.  The SB 800''s were lighter. ;-)  I sold six of the SB800's on eBay and kept two along with the SU200.  I haven't usd them for probably over a year.  They are great for what they are designed for, but not for a portable studio.

Feb 07 08 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Pearlman

As a long time strobe user, let me make a couple of points. First of all, if you get studio type strobes (Alien Bees, etc) they come with modeling lights. This is how you see what you're doing. If you get on-camera flash units and use them off the camera, you can jury-rig a modeling light by pointing a hot (150w) spot into the same umbrella, or pointed at the model. It'll work, but its clumsy and not perfect. Better to get a studio-type strobe, and trust me, it doesn't take long to learn to see it correctly (some units, like my Normans and others, have modeling light ratio buttons, so you can emulate the strobe ration with the modeling lights). Strobes are lighter weight as well: I cannot now imagine the burden of carrying and setting up and finding the power for hot lights in most professional situations.

Hot lights are great for certain purposes, like doing frozen blur shots, where you need the ambient to make a blur motion, and then fire a strobe to freeze part of it to add some sharpness where you want it. Can't do it any other way than with a mixture of strobe and ambient.

Here's a point no one's mentioned yet, and that is the color temperature of the two types of light. Unless you have HMIs, ambient light is warmer - 3200° or so, while strobes are natively in the 5500° to 6000° range. (If you don't understand what that is, no need to read further). When you're mixing light sources (using flash at sunset, trying to use hot lights outside during daylight, using lights indoors with working table lamps and light coming in through the windows), you have to think about filter for color temperature correction, and which light source makes the most sense. Frankly, I'd rather be putting a sheet of 85b over my strobes and windows, rather than a sheet of 80a over my hot lights and losing two stops. Of course some people don't care and just let the color temps fall where they may, and find the best mix in PS later, but I'm speaking from a purest point of view for educational purposes.

Finally, to the folks who keep comparing using hot lights in the movie industry, let me remind you that 1) there are typically a lot of crew members to turn those lights off as soon as the camera stops rolling, 2) they bring truck-mounted generators to power those lights, and 3) the exposure reading for a movie camera is based on a shutter speed of 1/48th of a second (if I recall, its been a while since film school), which would be way too slow for most of us. If you ever look at a single frame of movie film, you'll find its not as sharp as you think it is when you see it on the big screen. The 24 frames per second of the film give you the impression of sharpness that isn't always there.

Feb 07 08 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Deviashun

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I use both. Depends on what you're shooting and what sort of effect and look your after really. Hell, sometimes I use both strobes and hotlights at the same time! Weeeee!

Why pigeonhole yourself into shooting with one style of lighting? Where's the creativity in that?

wink

Feb 08 08 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Deviashun

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Oh ya, to whoever said that REAL photographers don't use hotlights....BWAHAHAHA!!!!

That's rich...

wink

Feb 08 08 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Brooks Ayola

Chatsworth, California, US

Why would someone bump a thread that's over a year old when we have a similar one that started today? Many of the people you're responding to are not even around any more.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=246766

Feb 08 08 12:46 am Link

Photographer

C and J Photography

Hauula, Hawaii, US

JMX Photography wrote:

Actually I'd say the primary advantage of strobes is the ability so shoot your sync speed at F8 iso 100.  I did one shoot under continous lights and it was horrible, camera shake even at F2.8 iso 400 with a 50mm lens.  Plus strobes give you nice big pupils.

This is the real advantage. I shoot ISO 100 to 200 and f7.1 to 13 all the time with strobes. It can not be done with hot lights.

Feb 08 08 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Corona Productions

Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Craig Thomson wrote:

Are these the 1000watt dildo-looking bulbs?

Wear an apron and chef's hat for giggles....

*News flash*

Photographer cooks model - news at 11.....

LOL!

Feb 08 08 01:03 am Link

Photographer

fbimagery

New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada

Strobes, monolights, ie. Photogenic, white lightning, OR Continuous lighting like Dynalights from Amvona, Which is better? Or are they the same? Is it a matter of preferance? Or is there a real advantag/disadvantage to one or the other?

Depends on the mood or theme/style you are attempting to achieve...dont forget sunlight ...its cheap...

Feb 08 08 06:11 am Link

Photographer

xsfgolsdkihjsrtpsiMJ

Toronto, Iowa, US

Dmitri Markine wrote:

Really good photographer tend not to say stupid shit like this nuts

Frank Yeats-Illes
www.fyimediaworld.com

Feb 08 08 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

A year ago I would have ( and likely did) responded like this:

Hotlights are great if you're new,  have little to spend  and want to see the light as you shape it.

I still agree with that assessment, as I learned my rudimentary lighting on film sets watching DPs at work.

If I were learning from scratch, I'd start with strobes. Lighting with hotlights is easý if you've mastered "seeing" light that isn't there with strobes and a meter.

Feb 08 08 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Dmitri Markine wrote:

PMSL.

Feb 08 08 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jake Garn

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Strobes vs. Continuous Lighting?  I was actually wondering the same thing, so I set up an experiment.  I made a ring of gasoline and inside the circle I put a 1000 watt Photoflex softbox which faced a Lumedyne 500 watt flash with a battery, then I lit the gasoline and rang the bell waiting to see which one came out on top.  About 45 minutes later they still were just staring at each other, both too intimidated to fight I suppose.  So I went over there and kicked them both over.

Turns out I'm actually better than both of them.  Who knew?

Feb 08 08 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jake Garn

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Ok, for seriously now:

These are shot with Strobes:
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080121/08/47949dea74e02_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071030/00/4726b7d0a2c62_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080104/20/477edd0c422f2_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071117/18/473f7a9cbda37_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071117/18/473f7a82697c5_m.jpg

And these with a Hotlight:
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080131/02/47a173786aca6_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080131/02/47a173247e956_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080117/07/478f50fc0a436_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080102/05/477b6ac6be97a_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/070923/03/46f610ecb1afc_m.jpghttps://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/070808/04/46b987f969e17_m.jpghttps://img9.modelmayhem.com/070729/04/46ac5d7b2c2b9_m.jpghttps://img9.modelmayhem.com/070720/23/46a18f64a233c_m.jpg

Both are great tools.
Jake

Feb 08 08 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

xsfgolsdkihjsrtpsiMJ

Toronto, Iowa, US

Jake Garn wrote:
Ok, for seriously now:

These are shot with Strobes:
/...

And these with a Hotlight:
/...

Both are great tools.
Jake

So you're a part-time real photographer? (your style is ROCKIN'! my friend)

Frank Yeats-Illes
www.fyimediaworld.com

Feb 08 08 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yet another example of a simple question falling of its own weight!

smile

Feb 08 08 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Davonroe

Brooklyn, New York, US

Your models will appreciate the strobes, and so will you.  I once did some product shots for my uncle, and I used my cousin's continuous lights.  The camera may put on 10 pounds, but those hot lights can take them away!  That is not a recommended diet plan!

Feb 08 08 07:08 pm Link