Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The photo you wish you had taken.

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Sitting here on my lunch break eating my Chicka-filla  I'm reading the thread and though huh..i never really start these but only partake every now and then. So here is mine. (if this isnt in the right place,..mods please switchy)

Photogs can be dead or alive,..its about the photo.

What photogphraph(s) are their that not only inspire you, but really really got you.  Just share any that you wish you had taken.  Any genre.

Here are a couple for me,..

1) One I would have to say,..the guy in Tianamen Square standing up against the tank. 

2) There is portrait of Jackie O. sitting on the couch with the light gazing through the window. (not sure who took it) but it was just awsome.

3) old BW of the construcion workers sitting on the Empire State at lunch.  ( think thats the building)

There are many many more for me,..but this is just a couple to get going. Curious to see what pops up if anything at all.  smile

*ill try to find and link these

Jan 09 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

https://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues99/jan99/images/einstein.jpg

Jan 09 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

The photos I wish I'd taken are all in my head.

A mom, crouching down with her daughter, who was in a carriage. There were in an amusement park, looking up at some attraction, both grinning widely, eyes bright. It was such a great picture of motherhood, it made your heart melt. I raised my camera and put it down - it seemed too intrusive to take that private moment. That was years ago. Today, I might take it.

Icicles hanging down from a traffic signal at night, lit up green from the light, and looking bone-chilling cold. Frankly, even if I'd had a camera, I probably wouldn't have the technical ability to capture that night shot. But it still was way cool.

Jan 09 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

avedon's kinski and the serpent...

[img]http://www.textanalyse.dk/Billeder/Richard Avedon Nastassja Kinski and the Serpent 1981.jpg[/img]

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jan 09 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

This could not have come at a better time.
About a mile from my home is a bit of county owned farm land that is about 10 acres I would estimate. Almost dead center is this huge Oak tree what was pretty much considered the towns tree. Guestimated to be about 600 years old. When there is a blanket of fog over the field it was a beautiful site, even in its old age, rotting and having suffered from someone trying to burn it down a few years ago. It was suspected that the people whose proposal to turn the land into apartment complexes are the ones who did it.
I have been here for about 8 years and I started to like the tree so much my friends sometimes called it "Rays tree"lol.
If you or anyone who sees this does any fine art shots I am sure you have one of those locations or objects that just seems to call out to you to photograph it. Well I finally had gotten the chance and I was also going to do some fine art nudes of a model  draped on the tree and off of one it its giant limbs.

This morning I signed onto the website of our towns paper because mine had not arrived yet and on the front cover was a big photograph of the tree laying on the ground. Evidently it had lost its battle with some strong winds and rain late last week.

It seemed every time I wanted to set up and shoot just the tree alone, especially when a blanket of fog was over the field, something always came up.

Jan 09 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Doug Swinskey wrote:

https://www.textanalyse.dk/Billeder/Richard%20Avedon%20Nastassja%20Kinski%20and%20the%20Serpent%201981.jpg

Doug that is cool...love the lines.

Jan 09 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I was in Hawaii at a park just off the parking lot at a beach.  This local Hawaiian Girl walks up to the shower and starts showering off.  She's back was facing me - she was facing the beach/waves with her head back a little with the water hitting her hair.  Her right arm is steadying a surf board that was angled away from her.

From the picknick bench I was sitting at I could have taken a beautiful photograph with my 200mm lens.  I should have taken it and then approached her with a release but it was a locals beach and I was already infringing enough on local territory so I didn't.

It's a shot I've always wanted to recreate.

Jan 09 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

Oh yes.  Set an entirely new standard.  A timeless image.

As for myself, I probably should have taken the photo of the wisp of smoke near the grassy knoll that day except all of the noise from the street distracted me.... either that or the crash at Roswell.  But seriously folks, there are too many to mention... a goodly number of the covers of Nat'l Geographic would head up a good list.

Jan 09 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Starstruck Foto

Chicago, Illinois, US

As a celebrity photographer who can pick his projects I have passed on several projects that I have long kicked myself for.Back in the early 80's I turned down shooting a series of workout ads for Ballys then the Chicago Health Club.I passed on spending the day shooting a young actress named Heather Locklear working up a sweat in her leotard for the ads.6 months later they were full page ads! Dooh!
I also turned down shooting Alanis Morrisette for her album Jagged Little Pill,it only sold like 20 million.Dooh! I passed on shooting some early promo for Shania Twain,I had shoot promo for some of the bands that her future husband had produced.And really not a country music fan!Dooh! I passed on covering Princess Diana's last visit to Chicago,I was asked if I wanted to take shots for the Evanston Hospital where she was going to visit sick kids.I foolishly passed.I passed on a shoot with Kurt Cobain backstage like 3 weeks before he died beacuse it was at the Aragon and the backstage area there is way dark and always cramped.I wanted to shoot him live where I didnt have to stand in the mosh pit.I told his management that I would just get him the next time he came to town. Dooh!

Jan 09 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I'll retract a little of what I said. I would've liked to have taken this photograph for the poster.

https://www.ezgeta.com/Miracle_Einstein.jpg
Caption:
"There are two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein"

Jan 09 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Justin wrote:
I'll retract a little of what I said. I would've liked to have taken this photograph for the poster.

https://www.ezgeta.com/Miracle_Einstein.jpg
Caption:
"There are two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein"

WHOOOOAAAA!  I LOVE THAT!

Jan 09 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I saw this photo once and it was taken from the photographers point of view through the camera. He was looking/shooting down at his feet, there where these two hot naked teen girls... oops never mind.  smile

Jan 09 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Redding

Florence, Alabama, US

My father, my sister and I all live on the same street.  I've spent 34 years living somewhere on this street.  We get lots of military air traffic here.  It's usually all done at night, you know, secrecy and all.

One day, I was at my sister's house.  I didn't have my camera because it's just down the street.  Besides, what could happen?  I'm only going to be there a few minutes.  Right?

Wrong!

I'm standing beside my truck, just about to leave.  I'm having a little conversation with my sister when we hear what sounds like a semi truck coming up the street.  It gets louder and louder but, no truck.  "We should be able to see it by now" she says.

Suddenly, a HUGE transport plane (C-130, I think) almost takes the shingles off the roof!  If I had been on the roof, I could have probably hit it with a broom. 

Anyway, long story short, when I crawled out from under my truck the first thing I thought was "I should have brought my camera!"

Oh well,

Michael Redding

Jan 09 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Michael Redding wrote:
My father, my sister and I all live on the same street.  I've spent 34 years living somewhere on this street.  We get lots of military air traffic here.  It's usually all done at night, you know, secrecy and all.

One day, I was at my sister's house.  I didn't have my camera because it's just down the street.  Besides, what could happen?  I'm only going to be there a few minutes.  Right?

Wrong!

I'm standing beside my truck, just about to leave.  I'm having a little conversation with my sister when we hear what sounds like a semi truck coming up the street.  It gets louder and louder but, no truck.  "We should be able to see it by now" she says.

Suddenly, a HUGE transport plane (C-130, I think) almost takes the shingles off the roof!  If I had been on the roof, I could have probably hit it with a broom. 

Anyway, long story short, when I crawled out from under my truck the first thing I thought was "I should have brought my camera!"

Oh well,

Michael Redding

Sounds cool Michael.  I know that as a kid in Germany I used to see airforce jets flying that low normally,..so I know what your talking about. its really cool.  smile

Jan 10 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

EdBPhotography

Torrance, California, US

Starstruck Foto wrote:
As a celebrity photographer who can pick his projects I have passed on several projects that I have long kicked myself for.Back in the early 80's I turned down shooting a series of workout ads for Ballys then the Chicago Health Club.I passed on spending the day shooting a young actress named Heather Locklear working up a sweat in her leotard for the ads.6 months later they were full page ads! Dooh!
I also turned down shooting Alanis Morrisette for her album Jagged Little Pill,it only sold like 20 million.Dooh! I passed on shooting some early promo for Shania Twain,I had shoot promo for some of the bands that her future husband had produced.And really not a country music fan!Dooh! I passed on covering Princess Diana's last visit to Chicago,I was asked if I wanted to take shots for the Evanston Hospital where she was going to visit sick kids.I foolishly passed.I passed on a shoot with Kurt Cobain backstage like 3 weeks before he died beacuse it was at the Aragon and the backstage area there is way dark and always cramped.I wanted to shoot him live where I didnt have to stand in the mosh pit.I told his management that I would just get him the next time he came to town. Dooh!

Next time you wanna' turn down a job, would'ja call me so I can take it? wink

Jan 10 06 12:09 pm Link