Forums > Photography Talk > Does anyone here rent residential locations?

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

My wife and I have an old craftsman style bungalow that I spent a couple years restoring to its 1910 style. - Complete with turn-of the century lighting fixtures and antiques.  We were thinking of offering it to local photographers who are looking for romantic indoor and outdoor backgrounds.  Does anyone here know where I would get info on how to offer location properties to photographers? - What to charge, what to provide, where to promote.  Thanks!

Jan 12 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

I would love to make use of that!  Too bad I'm on the other side of the country.  Maybe others know of good places to use out on the east coast (MD, DC, NOVA).

Jan 15 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

rexyinc

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

for years all i do is goto the local real estate agents in the best part of town, check out the for rent lists, pick a few grab the keys, grab your model and your mua and take off for a shoot.. smile too easy .. smile just remember to return the keys when your done and dont leave a mess! ( like a blood bath shoot and forget to clean the place when your done! ) cos that kinda tends to freak them out a bit haha

Jan 15 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

Wow

I've been wondering if I should talk to some realtors about this.  Since I haven't done it before its hard to know where to start.

Jan 15 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Way back when I lived in an apartment building, the building had a guest apartment that I used to use for shoots.  The rent was $40 and I got the apartment from Noon until Noon.  For a 6 hour shoot, it was well worth it, since it had a full kitchen, bath, dining room, bedroom, etc.

Jan 16 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

When I shoot in homes for commercial work I (or the client) usualy use a location scout. Try looking up on google for your area. Also try calling commercial advertising studios and ask if they can recomend a location scout. You could try finding a source book for the photo industry in your area and see if any scouts are listed.

One question I would ask is about power. Is it updated and grounded outlets? Fuses or not? Fuses are a pain when you blow several over a day or two. Also if you rent to a commercial shooter are you willing to let them leave stuff set up when they are their for a week? How will you handle damages (scuff on floor or wall, and so forth)? What about your home owners ins.?

Jan 16 06 01:35 pm Link